Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Yeah but the American equivalent is still likely to be amenable to some form of trade deal. Trump will literally fuck us at the first possible opportunity if it benefits him.

He isn't though - see the link I posted in the Yank thread.

Trump is an Anglophile because of his mother, and because he has a genetic clone in No 10.

It reminds me of British lefties clamoring for Obama who was an Anglophobe because his father had something to do with the Mau Maus, so Obama's election wasn't very advantageous for us.

51 minutes ago, action said:

wait, wait wait. Hold on a second. didn't you and soul argue that protective gear does not help against infection anyway? 

I certainly never said protective gear doesn't help against infections :lol: What I said was that facemasks has little effect because people don't tend to sneeze you in the face. Healthcare workers, on the other hand, could actually experience that in their work of profession, and "protective gear" goes way beyond just facemasks. Besides, our point was that when health care workers use facemasks that is mostly to stop infecting other when they are carriers of the disease.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Besides, our point was that when health care workers use facemasks that is mostly to stop infecting other when they are carriers of the disease.

so you finally agree that people can infect other people through the mouth / breath / whatever (but, they need to be health workers otherwise it's a different story).

I've absorbed yet more information, like a good citizen. so let's resume:

health care workers can infect patients through their breathing, so they need masks.

peasants can not infect other people through their mouths, so other peasants don't need masks. just wash your hands.

action's dialectic solution to this : why not turn peasants into health workers?

Edited by action

16 minutes ago, action said:

so you finally agree that people can infect other people through the mouth / breath / whatever

I have never said they can't :lol:

I have said people shouldn't be using facemasks because it is unlikely they will get to breathe in the virus, and if you wear facemasks you are more likely to touch your face which increases the risk of infection, and many facemasks aren't even properly tight.

Trust me, if you are a nurse and you lean over a barely conscious patient who then sneezes in your mouth, you are at risk of getting whatever that patient has. 

10 minutes ago, soon said:

.... It moved :heart:

Reminds me of that Asian guitar wizard on youtube and then finding out it might be a dude.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

But then again you don't have people riding downhill in the middle of traffic with lorries around at 50 km/h on icy tarmac.

Common misconception that Holland doesn't have any hills.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, action said:

health care workers can infect patients through their breathing, so they need masks.

peasants can not infect other people through their mouths, so other peasants don't need masks. just wash your hands.

Again I am left wondering if you really are this stupid or if you are just trolling.

Health care workers wear masks mostly for not infecting others. Not through the air, but from sneezing causing viruses to land on various hospital surfaces where patients may get in contact with it. But they also wear it for their own protection because in their profession they are much more exposed to sick people and they tend to handle them closely meaning they can actually get the patient's viruses transported into their mouth directly without going via some surface. Like when a patient sneezes on them.

Most people don't handle sick people closely, so most people don't have these reasons to wear face masks. They are not in danger of sneezing into an open wound of a patient or having a patient of some viral disease sneeze into their face. Hence there are few obvious benefits for them to wear face masks, but quite a few drawbacks (more fumbling with your face to make sure it sits where it is supposed, not entirely close so virus can get in anyway, poor handling of used face masks meaning virus within may be carried to new hosts).

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Common misconception that Holland doesn't have any hills.

Common misconception among the Dutch to think that whatever excuse they have for hills are being biked down in 50 km/h on icy roads.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Someone in Wales has it. If Zoonosis is ever liable to happen, then it will happen in Wales.

Good thing is, it will have to go through another zoonosis event to be able to infect humans.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Common misconception among the Dutch to think that whatever excuse they have for hills are being biked down in 50 km/h on icy roads.

If you are going downhill an icy road for 50 km/h you are kinda asking for it, and I would advise anyone to wear more protection than just a helmet.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

If you are going downhill an icy road for 50 km/h you are kinda asking for it, and I would advise anyone to wear more protection than just a helmet.

I am in Norway, there is nothing but icy, hilly roads here :lol:

But seriously, the cultural difference re: helmet while biking is interesting. Personally, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't wear a helmet. But of course, if you bike slowly on designed biker's paths then I suppose there isn't much danger involved. We don't have that luxury here, though, and people bike fast.

Here in the cities we call it a "door prize" when someone opens their car door onto the street side, with out looking, and a cyclist crashes into it. Happens everyday. And with trucks its at head level for a cyclist. Does this not happen in the Old World?

1 minute ago, soon said:

Here in the cities we call it a "door prize" when someone opens their car door onto the street side, with out looking, and a cyclist crashes into it. Happens everyday. And with trucks its at head level for a cyclist. Does this not happen in the Old World?

In my little city of 200k we have a serious accident between a biker and a car just about every week. I don't think what you suggested happens much, though, because in general you can't park in the roads here. The accidents, I suppose, is more bikers running red light and getting smashed from the side by cars, sliding into cars on ice, not being seen in roundabouts, etc.

When I picture someone biking in the Netherlands, it is on a woman's bike with broad tires and a basket up front, doing 10 km/h on a designated bike path. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I am in Norway, there is nothing but icy, hilly roads here :lol:

But seriously, the cultural difference re: helmet while biking is interesting. Personally, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't wear a helmet. But of course, if you bike slowly on designed biker's paths then I suppose there isn't much danger involved. We don't have that luxury here, though, and people bike fast.

I've been mountain biking in the Ardennes without a helmet, albeit during summer, but I wouldn't recommend that. Of course when you are dealing with those circumstances it's better to be safe than sorry and wear protection. But when I am riding my bike somewhere over here I won't wear a helmet, even in winter. I don't think I have ever seen a grown up here on their bike wearing a helmet to work or whatever, not that that would be a reason for me not to do it. Maybe I would wear one if I lived in Norway.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cyclists amsterdam

Exactly how I pictured it. We don't have designated bike paths here. Everybody is riding fast bikes, not those on that picture. Lots of downhill inbetween cars, trying to keep up the pace to not slow down the traffic. Buses and lorries veering close to you, trying to get up a bit so you are not in their blind zone. Often on bad roads and with ice or snow.

46 minutes ago, Dazey said:

How about a surgical mask? :lol: 

Only if your name is action!

1 hour ago, soon said:

Does this not happen in the Old World?

Not really, and in most European cities I haven't seen too many people wearing helmets. 

55 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Exactly how I pictured it. We don't have designated bike paths here. Everybody is riding fast bikes, not those on that picture. Lots of downhill inbetween cars, trying to keep up the pace to not slow down the traffic. Buses and lorries veering close to you, trying to get up a bit so you are not in their blind zone. Often on bad roads and with ice or snow.

Of course, we are a bike country, but it's not all like in that picture. The biggest chances of falling are when you ride home from the pub after a few too many or when it's freezing, but even then you don't fall on your head usually.

This is how Dutch people fall, none of them hit their head,

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

Here, where I just saw a headline reading “fisherman charged after throwing explosive into group of sea lions” (:facepalm::lol:) the biggest impact of the virus so far has been that professional quality hockey sticks are made in China and the factories have been shut down. So the players are running out of their preferred sticks!! 

I heard about an NHL player running out of sticks and remembering that when he moved out of his moms place he had a stash in her garage. So he flew home to pick them up and then immediately flew back to play the next game.

https://www.hockeystickman.com/blogs/hockey-stick-alerts/the-impact-of-coronavirus-on-pro-hockey-sticks

Unless you're about to have a heart attack, US isn't even letting you get tested

Hello,

Just giving a heads up to what I and my doctor both considered a very fucked situation. I just spent a week in Japan, a country at high risk for COVID-19. I wore a mask and essentially tried to stay away from most touristy places (not my first time there), but trains and stations are still packed with people, so there's really not much you can do.

On arriving back to America (3 days ago), I developed a 102F fever, coughing, and aches. I went to a local hospital in Brooklyn's ER. I informed them of my travel, they provided me a mask, and redirected me to a private room and followed infection protocols (full face covers, gloves, aprons, etc.). I had a chest x-ray and testing for flu/cold/pneumonia/and about 25 other viruses. They all came back negative.

At this point, the hospital called the CDC requesting permission to perform the COVID-19 testing. The CDC denied the request on the ground that I did not have the most life-threatening symptoms: chest pain and shortness of breath. According to everything I read it's very likely not to have these symptoms if you're in your 30's and relatively healthy.

And... that was that. They discharged me, said I don't have Corona virus, since they didn't test me for it, and said I can ride the subway, return to work, do whatever I want.

Of course my doctor disagreed. She said I should treat myself as if I am infected. My partner is currently staying in a nearby hotel since we live in a studio apartment. I've performed a self-quarantine for 14 days. Fortunately I can work from home and my partner can deliver me groceries if I run out.

But I don't think that many people are aware of the fact that they're actively not testing people for COVID-19, even people who have travel history to high-risk places.

• Like 1

I understand there’s a lot we don’t know about this virus but I don’t think it’s the doomsday scenario everyone and the media has been making it out to be. Most people end up having mild or no symptoms, the people who are dying are the elderly and those whose immune systems are compromised. Most people will get it and probably think it’s a cold or a flu and won’t even realize it. Of course it’s concerning to have an outbreak of a new virus and we should focus our best efforts to contain it, but the media and social media’s such as Reddit are often fear mongering. 

• Like 3