Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

21 minutes ago, action said:

ok, obviously I'm joking. but if dazey and soulmonster are to be believed, masks are only needed to prevent the patient from contracting viruses from the health worker. You'd think, a mouth mask would be sufficient in this situation. but in this video, health workers are wearing suits that cover their whole body. Could they explain why that is necessary? I didn't know that a health worker could infect patients with their body.

Health care workers are humans too. The laws of biology is the same for them. And they work in an environment where they are exposed to pathogens frequently. If they don't go to extra measures to prevent spreading diseases, like in being extra careful with hand hygiene, and wearing facemasks when possible sick themselves or operating, they could spread pathogens to numerous patients. 

Again, most viruses do not spread far through air. Hence you typically won't get infected from simply breathing. Unless someone with a perspiratory illness sneezing very near you, you don't have to worry. It is much more likely you will infect yourself from touching a surface with viruses and then touching your eyes or mouth, hence the importance of hand washing. 

Although a facemask will be a barriere for viruses, it is simply not likely there will be viruses in the air you breathe. In addition, people with facemasks tend to touch their faces more frequently, and many facemasks aren't entirely tight on their sides, resulting in a a higher risk of getting infected. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Health care workers are humans too. The laws of biology is the same for them. And they work in an environment where they are exposed to pathogens frequently. If they don't go to extra measures to prevent spreading diseases, like in being extra careful with hand hygiene, and wearing facemasks when possible sick themselves or operating, they could spread pathogens to numerous patients. 

Again, most viruses do not spread far through air. Hence you typically won't get infected from simply breathing. Unless someone with a perspiratory illness sneezing very near you, you don't have to worry. It is much more likely you will infect yourself from touching a surface with viruses and then touching your eyes or mouth, hence the importance of hand washing. 

Although a facemask will be a barriere for viruses, it is simply not likely there will be viruses in the air you breathe. In addition, people with facemasks tend to touch their faces more frequently, and many facemasks aren't entirely tight on their sides, resulting in a a higher risk of getting infected. 

I appreciate your effort in making this post. I'm not trolling, but I have to note that I have never seen a health worker, in any clinic I went to, wearing a suit like in that video, as if chernobyl has just blown up again. Every fool can see that something fishy is going on

11 minutes ago, action said:

I appreciate your effort in making this post. I'm not trolling, but I have to note that I have never seen a health worker, in any clinic I went to, wearing a suit like in that video, as if chernobyl has just blown up again. Every fool can see that something fishy is going on

I didn't see the video, but total protective gear is common when dealing with patients who are isolated.

Regarding facemasks. If you have ever been to Tokyo you will see the majority of people on the underground wear them. It has become a cultural thing and basically something to hide behind, not so much as a protection against airborne diseases. Goes with the Japanese psyche of being as innocuous as possible.

On face masks in general (which Id never wear out of fear and which dont protect one from the virus):

I use them when I make caustic water for paper making or masa. And also whenever else I use washing soda (aka Caustic Soda) to make detergents.

I had to look far and wide before I found a brand that was available in small quantities and easy to get that was adequate for keeping me sealed up even just in those simple activities. Most store bought masks are shit for my uses specifically because they are designed mostly to contain ones own mouths' and noses' fluids from going outwards. To actually seal things out you're getting into like what one might need to wear on a build-sight, which are basically single use low quality 'gas masks.' And those arent comfortable to breathe in for general use. And like any such mask, you fidget with them, take them on and off and touch your face in the process. 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No, your question makes sense and most people naturally think facemasks will prevent them from getting sick. So the question is good. 

What you need to do now is absorb what people are telling you. Failure to do so isn't a thoughtcrime, either, but more of an insult, to thoughts, or the concept of thinking. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink

Doublethink is the act of simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct, often in distinct social contexts.[1] Doublethink is related to, but differs from, hypocrisy and neutrality. Also related is cognitive dissonance, in which contradictory beliefs cause conflict in one's mind. Doublethink is notable due to a lack of cognitive dissonance—thus the person is completely unaware of any conflict or contradiction.

George Orwell invented the word doublethink (as part of Newspeak) in his dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, published in 1949. In the novel, its origins within the citizenry is unclear; while it could be partly a product of Big Brother's formal brainwashing programs,[2] the novel explicitly shows people learning doublethink and Newspeak due to peer pressure and a desire to "fit in", or gain status within the Party—to be seen as a loyal Party Member. In the novel, for someone to even recognize—let alone mention—any contradiction within the context of the Party line is akin to blasphemy, and could subject that person to disciplinary action and the instant social disapproval of fellow Party Members.

The poor bat is getting blamed for the source of the disease.  Not that it bit anybody but some asshole slaughtering it in illegal captivity probably got the bat's blood on his hands and got it into his system.  https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00548-w  May not be true but that's going to make the rounds.  The poor bat and they are such useful animals.

This virus doesn't seem to be slowing down. I saw the news and they were talking about a cure or at least a pill, but that's going to take 6 to 8 weeks. Do we have that kind of time?

The flu is still killing people here in the US. So scary. There always seems to be something that humans can't seem to predict or have a cure for in record time.

Pretty soon everyone will have to stop traveling and stay home until this virus is under control.

Stay well people!

33 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw the news and they were talking about a cure or at least a pill, but that's going to take 6 to 8 weeks. Do we have that kind of time? 

If by "we" you mean humanity, then yes, we will survive 6-8 more weeks of this with a few more thousands dead. For reference, there are 7 (?) billion of us. 

And unless you are old or weak, then you will survive this, too. Unless something more likely kills you in the mean time. 

35 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The flu is still killing people here in the US. So scary. 

Is it? Really? We also die from cardiovascular diseases, cancers, accidents, etc. Dying is the period of human existence. 

37 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Pretty soon everyone will have to stop traveling and stay home until this virus is under control. 

I also fear such an overreaction causing disruption to my schedule. But give this a few more weeks and it will fizzle out like the "ebola craze" a few years ago, SARS, MERS, and swine flu, did, and we are back to the normal state of not giving a fuck about the actual threats to our lives. 

40 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Stay well people!

You too, and that includes not worrying too much! 

Q for you wearing masks because of beer virus: did you wear it before because of seasonal flu?- here it's still active, this year was pretty heavy - but noone cinsidered buying tons of food supply and hiding in home till spring. But last two days - mass histeria - 3 infected - all of them getting better... no masks to buy anymore (note to myself - make a stock so could sell for next years dangerous disease)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me the face masks, irrespective of this outbreak, impart a haughty aura of, ''I don't want to be breathing in your diseased infections you human germ' - especially when it is somebody walking around a western city with one on, a city which has not adopted the habit. I find them thoroughly antisocial. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

To me the face masks, irrespective of this outbreak, impart a haughty aura of, ''I don't want to be breathing in your diseased infections you human germ' - especially when it is somebody walking around a western city with one on, a city which has not adopted the habit. I find them thoroughly antisocial. 

I'm more abstract about this. while I did feel antisocial myself, when I wore that mask, ultimately this was a ridiculous thought since I wasn't targeting people; I was targetig a virus. So a more accurate description would be "I don't want to be breathing in your diseased infections, you corona virus". Humans, in this case, merely make up the "host". A virus is not an idea, it is an actual biological reality which I'm directly shielding myself of. There just happens to be a human between me and the corona virus.

It's like a lawyer, yelling at the policeman in court, what a serious scumbag he was for murdering his wife. Except, the lawyer isnt really talking to the policeman, but to the killer standing next to him, handcuffed to the policeman.

I don't identifiy people with this virus. So in my mind I'm not antisocial. In reality, I'm not antisocial. I'm not antisocial, how ever you spin this. I merely "appear" to be

Edited by action

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

towns are closing, disneyland tokio is closing, schools are closing in europe, the tour of the emirates has stopped,... Everyone is taking measures, but we shouldn't panic? the virus is already in your country too, by the way.

spreading a false sense of safety could lead to severe consequences. by now, I dont think it's really appropriate to do so anymore.

3 minutes ago, action said:

towns are closing, disneyland tokio is closing, schools are closing in europe, the tour of the emirates has stopped,... Everyone is taking measures, but we shouldn't panic? the virus is already in your country too, by the way.

spreading a false sense of safety could lead to severe consequences. by now, I dont think it's really appropriate to do so anymore.

Well, if your argument is that you should panic over something like Covid-19 where the probability of death is so ridiculously small, then you should of course also panic for all the things that are more likely to kill you, like seasonal flu, car crashes, a sudden stroke, etc. So in the interest of living a balanced life, go on and panic. Do it. Panic about all the things that might kill you with an equal or higher probability than Covid-19. Panic!!

And then rational people can go on with their lives knowing that their probability of dying before the summer hasn't really changed since before Covid-19 made its arrival on the scene.

Edited by SoulMonster

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, if your argument is that you should panic over something like Covid-19 where the probability of death is so ridiculously small, then you should of course also panic for all the things that are more likely to kill you, like seasonal flu, car crashes, a sudden stroke, etc. So in the interest of living a balanced life, go on and panic. Do it. Panic about all the things that might kill you with an equal of higer probability than Covid-19. Panic!!

I can only note that countries, companies, schools etc are taking severe measures, that do not match with a disease where the probability of death is ridiculously small.

the economy, is taking sever hits. Millions of money is lost.

why would all of that happen, if there is nothing to worry about?

knowledge is power, and the more power you have, the more knowledge you have.

"The suits" clearly are abandoing ship, while telling us proletarians that everything is fine.