New Brain interview in Rolling Stone

4 hours ago, darkside259 said:

"Well, I think because it started with the original band. That was a good two or three years of chaos. And then Slash, Duff, and Matt Sorum left. They got Josh. That took a couple more years. They went through some producers.""

i didn t know that, chinese start with slash n duff? matt quit firts?

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

In the sense that the sessions for the "next GN'R album" after UYI and TSI started with Slash, Duff and Matt. Since no album materialized with the UYI lineup, the "next album" ended up being CD with another band, however whatever material was written with Slash was not used, only some stuff Axl had been working on that probably existed as sketches when Duff and Matt were still in the band.

Maybe he's confusing the UYI band with Axl's mid-90s "shadow band"?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Maybe he's confusing the UYI band with Axl's mid-90s "shadow band"?

Maybe, because I suppose Brain doesn't know all the details about the mid-90s. Although that so-called "shadow band" wasn't really so "shadow" and separate from the "main" band. It started off as Krys Baratto and Sid Riggs filling in in the studio for recording bass and drums on demos while Duff and Matt were busy with the Neurotic Outsiders, and then, as the UYI band disintegrated, they were helping Paul Tobias and Dizzy (and whoever else was involved). This quote is interesting:

krys_b10.jpg

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits#20209

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 3:34 PM, Rovim said:

favorite part of the interview: "there's Tom, he's on the ground, pounding shit".

That quote quite literally made me laugh out loud. It's too bad Brain doesn't gig/record with bands anymore, because he seems to be the perfect temperament for a touring/studio musician. He can adapt to any scenario or session. As the author says, you could not get more different than the Chinese Democracy sessions and the 2002/2006-07 tours with Guns N' Roses and all his work with Tom Waits. 

Also, props to Brain for giving what is, in my opinion, the most truthful assessment of Matt Sorum I have read to this point. To be fair, I think he might have meant that more light-heartedly than it came across in print. In one of his podcast appearances (I believe the 2018 one linked above), he spoke higher of Matt. Brain talked about how difficult it was learning Steven's parts (as he addresses in the RS article), but that he "understood" where Matt was coming from with his playing, and it was easier for Brain to adapt to his style. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

That quote quite literally made me laugh out loud. It's too bad Brain doesn't gig/record with bands anymore, because he seems to be the perfect temperament for a touring/studio musician. He can adapt to any scenario or session. As the author says, you could not get more different than the Chinese Democracy sessions and the 2002/2006-07 tours with Guns N' Roses and all his work with Tom Waits. 

Also, props to Brain for giving what is, in my opinion, the most truthful assessment of Matt Sorum I have read to this point. To be fair, I think he might have meant that more light-heartedly than it came across in print. In one of his podcast appearances (I believe the 2018 one linked above), he spoke higher of Matt. Brain talked about how difficult it was learning Steven's parts (as he addresses in the RS article), but that he "understood" where Matt was coming from with his playing, and it was easier for Brain to adapt to his style. 

but it's cool that Brain is going to do a couple of gigs this month with Bucket and Bill Laswell, so at least it's something. It took me a while to appreciate Matt as a drummer, but I think he's a great drummer. He has his own powerful style. It's not as good imo as what Steven, Josh, and Brain bring to the table, but I like his style too. Brain always jokes around, I don't think he meant to take a jab at Sorum, but also he seems to be more impressed by Steven as a drummer and not just in this interview.

I think Brain was very honest here. Agree with him that Chinese is very dense. Not much room for the material to "breath" and a lot of the sound doesn't give me an organic feel, kind of a processed sound.

what Bucket brought to Chinese elevated the material mostly imo, but he was the wrong guy to join Axl's Gn'R. He works fast, maybe even faster than Slash so it doesn't surprise me that he didn't understand why Axl couldn't just release the album.

also Brain might have stuck around if Axl moved forward so Brain had something more substantial to do than playing the cowbell part in Nightrain every night but I think Axl's priority was to get it right when it came to the record. Everything else was secondary so it's like he put all the eggs in one basket and not really cared as much about the band as a whole maybe and it just drifted away.

Edited by Rovim