The Spotify X-Files thread

I found one potential method that may help determine if a song is in a database or not, but not yet released. (Shazam has its own database. I think it's connected to Apple Music since the app is owned by Apple, but I'm not entirely sure on what music goes in the Shazam database.) Not a completely certain method though, since there hasn't been a wide range of songs to test it on.

So on a phone, there's an app called Shazam, that identifies music based on audio.  I tried it on Taylor Swift's album that has now released, but had some leaks earlier.You can tell the app could identify the leaked songs, but refused to name them, because it returned the "No result" page a lot quicker. Usually, if the app truly can't identify a certain song, it goes through several steps. The text on the screen goes "searching", then "Expanding search", then "This is Tough, last try", then No Result. But when I tried it on the leaked Taylor Swift songs, several tries in several different spots of the song bring up the No Result page after "Searching" or "Expanding Search", but it doesn't hang long enough to go to "This is Tough, last try".

The main exception of the leaked Taylor tracks that doesn't end early is one of the vinyl only exclusive tracks. That one has the song identifier hang until "This is Tough" before bringing up "No Result", possibly because Swift's team hasn't entered the audio of the vinyl exclusive tracks into whatever database Shazam gets its music from yet.

It works best on the vocal sections. (Sometimes you have to give it several tries on different sections of the song, since it might misidentify a song, or some sections of a song work better than others.)

https://www.shazam.com/privacy
Please note that use of the app means, according to its privacy page:

Information about your activity in Shazam to improve the app, such as the pages you view and buttons you select, device information such as make and model, operating system version, and IP address. We may also use this information to detect fraud or misuse of the service and may approximate your location to offer Shazam charts of trending songs.

In order to comply with laws or valid legal requests for information such as a subpoena or search warrant.

So only use this method if you're willing to rat yourself out to Apple that you've come across leaked music somewhere. Also if someone steals an unreleased song and posts it in a database/platform like Apple Music under their name, then the song identifying app brings up that person.

edit: she just dropped the second half of what turned out to be a surprise double album, and it turns out one of the vinyl exclusive songs was on it. not sure why the app couldn't detect it earlier (or any of the other second half songs that were surprise dropped). maybe the database is slow, because even after the songs for the first half officially released, the app wouldn't name the songs it could identify, until a few hours later.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

I found one potential method that may help determine if a song is in a database or not, but not yet released. (Shazam has its own database. I think it's connected to Apple Music since the app is owned by Apple, but I'm not entirely sure on what music goes in the Shazam database.) Not a completely certain method though, since there hasn't been a wide range of songs to test it on.

So on a phone, there's an app called Shazam, that identifies music based on audio.  I tried it on Taylor Swift's album that has now released, but had some leaks earlier.You can tell the app could identify the leaked songs, but refused to name them, because it returned the "No result" page a lot quicker. Usually, if the app truly can't identify a certain song, it goes through several steps. The text on the screen goes "searching", then "Expanding search", then "This is Tough, last try", then No Result. But when I tried it on the leaked Taylor Swift songs, several tries in several different spots of the song bring up the No Result page after "Searching" or "Expanding Search", but it doesn't hang long enough to go to "This is Tough, last try".

The main exception of the leaked Taylor tracks that doesn't end early is one of the vinyl only exclusive tracks. That one has the song identifier hang until "This is Tough" before bringing up "No Result", possibly because Swift's team hasn't entered the audio of the vinyl exclusive tracks into whatever database Shazam gets its music from yet.

It works best on the vocal sections. (Sometimes you have to give it several tries on different sections of the song, since it might misidentify a song, or some sections of a song work better than others.)

https://www.shazam.com/privacy
Please note that use of the app means, according to its privacy page:

Information about your activity in Shazam to improve the app, such as the pages you view and buttons you select, device information such as make and model, operating system version, and IP address. We may also use this information to detect fraud or misuse of the service and may approximate your location to offer Shazam charts of trending songs.

In order to comply with laws or valid legal requests for information such as a subpoena or search warrant.

So only use this method if you're willing to rat yourself out to Apple that you've come across leaked music somewhere. Also if someone steals an unreleased song and posts it in a database/platform like Apple Music under their name, then the song identifying app brings up that person.

edit: she just dropped the second half of what turned out to be a surprise double album, and it turns out one of the vinyl exclusive songs was on it. not sure why the app couldn't detect it earlier (or any of the other second half songs that were surprise dropped). maybe the database is slow, because even after the songs for the first half officially released, the app wouldn't name the songs it could identify, until a few hours later.

Hope u're OK Hun. Hear if you need me x