07/22/23 - Athens, GR - Olympic Stadium

downzy

16 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Any thoughts on whether the heatwave will affect this gig?  According to The Guardian its dipped a bit now but expected to rise again from Thursday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/15/acropolis-greece-closed-heatwave-48c

I could imagine them pushing the starting time back, in case there's no curfew

I'm a bit afraid of that heat on Saturday. Especially while having to wait for hours.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I could imagine them pushing the starting time back, in case there's no curfew

I'm a bit afraid of that heat on Saturday. Especially while having to wait for hours.

I was in the pit for the show in London on June 17th 2017 and that day was one of the hottest that year.  But it was still maybe only as high as 29C but it was so hot with everybody so close in the pit everybodies body temperature making it even hotter I was sweating profusely like a stream at times.  I couldnt imagine how hot it would be to stand in that pit for hours with the temp 35C+ good luck to those going and drink plenty of water! 

I was in the Placebo show in Athens in 2017 with 44C that day. Well, the show was not in the city of Athens, it was in Malakasa, a place outside the city for the Rockwave Festival ( GnR played the same place in 2006). 

I remember going from Athens to Malakasa was hell.  But in Malakasa there are plenty of trees, and it's outside Athens so it was cooler than I expected. 

As for the Guns show now in Olympic Stadium ( OAKA) , I think we will suffer.  The heat is going to be up to 40C , the show is too early for that kind of temp.  

Really hope the producers take care both the band and the fans but I really doubt it. The production company doesn't have a good reputation in Greece.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Unfortunately I think it's highly likely this show gets cancelled unless the weather changes drastically....Athens constantly in the news, where wildfires are breaking out in numerous places and tourists told to go home or stay inside as risk to life! 

Every summer in Greece is like that. Very hot weather, especially in July. 
As for the wildfires , unfortunately it is common too. Every summer , these days, mid- July Athens is getting burnt. 

The solution for the heat is to change the timetable. Since there is no curfew (  I am not 100 % sure , if someone knows let me know) , Guns can go on stage at 21:30 - 22 :00 .  Doors open at 18 :00 not 16:00 cause we will melt. 

For example, Arctic Monkeys are headlining Release Festival in Athens for  2 days ( 18th and 19th of July) and they will go on stage , both nights . at 22:50 . 
The festival also extended the tram's operating hours for both nights so everyone can go home.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JaxTeller said:

As for the wildfires , unfortunately it is common too. Every summer , these days, mid- July Athens is getting burnt. 

The solution for the heat is to change the timetable. Since there is no curfew (  I am not 100 % sure , if someone knows let me know) , Guns can go on stage at 21:30 - 22 :00 .  Doors open at 18 :00 not 16:00 cause we will melt. 

For example, Arctic Monkeys are headlining Release Festival in Athens for  2 days ( 18th and 19th of July) and they will go on stage , both nights . at 22:50 . 
The festival also extended the tram's operating hours for both nights so everyone can go home.

I will buck to your better knowledge but I don't think I remember coverage like this any other year for the area on our UK news, so it must be particularly bad this year? We'll see. I hope it goes forward...better have massive fucking fans on stage ! 

16 minutes ago, JaxTeller said:

I did check the heat for Saturday and temp only seems to drop 1 or two degrees between starting at 20:00 or 22:00...I'm guessing humidity would be less but not a massive difference? The sun being down of course helps! 

This show was already jinxed the moment the (recently re-elected, unfortunately) Prime Minister of Greece stated he would attend :lol: (fellow Greeks will get the joke).

Seriously, though, I don't think there will be any issues, except for a bit of discomfort due to the heat (and the PM's publicity stunt). Sadly I'll have to miss it :(, but I hope everything goes well for the fans and the band. 

57 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

but I don't think I remember coverage like this any other year for the area on our UK news, so it must be particularly bad this year?

Not sure why that is - as already pointed out, these weather conditions are not out of the ordinary for Greece this time of the year - but I suspect it has to do with PR from the Greek government (that they're effective, do everything for the tourists' safety, etc.).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This show was already jinxed the moment the (recently re-elected, unfortunately) Prime Minister of Greece stated he would attend :lol: (fellow Greeks will get the joke).

Seriously, though, I don't think there will be any issues, except for a bit of discomfort due to the heat (and the PM's publicity stunt). Sadly I'll have to miss it :(, but I hope everything goes well for the fans and the band. 

Not sure why that is - as already pointed out, these weather conditions are not out of the ordinary for Greece this time of the year - but I suspect it has to do with PR from the Greek government (that they're effective, do everything for the tourists' safety, etc.).

I'm so sorry that you will not attend. I'm preparing to go to Hollywood Florida later.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Unfortunately I think it's highly likely this show gets cancelled unless the weather changes drastically....Athens constantly in the news, where wildfires are breaking out in numerous places and tourists told to go home or stay inside as risk to life! 

Not gonna happen. Unfortunately, we are used to it all those years. It's a common thing.

Two years ago, we had the worst wildfires of the last decade with no cancelations.

As for our "great" PM, he's (unfortunately again) a fan. If he's really gonna attend though, a well known sing-along will emerge with uncle Ax.

Edited by nikosgnr
  • Like 2

I think the coverage fits in the theme for this summer: the unbearable heat and climate change. But as long as I can remember, Greece has been 'too hot' to do anything but be in the water in July. If only GNR would do an indoor tour in the fall or winter again <_< It was 'only' 32 degrees in Weert last week, and in 2017 I remember Paris was in the 30s too, and you'll see people fainting left and right and it's really no fun waiting for hours and hours in the burning sun. So please, next time, a nice indoor tour where we can all feel comfortable :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

I travelled to Greece in May. It was already really hot, especially in Milos and Santorinni. It wasn't too different from how hot Paris currently is. The main problem is that it seems to be an open air venue.

It's a stadium, so compared to Rome there might be some shadows here and there. But I guess some nerds will be lining up outside for hours in the sun. 

• Like 1

There won't be any show cancellation. 

Get your hats, sunscreen, umbrellas, stay safe and enjoy the show. 

Temperature at OAKA is expected to be around 40oC during the afternoon. 

There might be wildfires going on, hopefully it won't. 

If you need any advise for Athens, food wise etc. Feel free to ask. 

May be an image of text that says 'GUNS NK ROSES SATURDAY JULY ATHENS OLYMPIC STADIUM GUNS Ν' ROSES ONSTAGE 20:00 THELAST STAGE 18:30-19:15 HIGH PRIORITY PROMOTIONS DOORS OPEN 16:00 TICKETS TICKETMASTER.CR εν (AeH'

May be an image of map, crowd and text that says 'GUNS ROSES EUROPE 2023 ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΕΙΡΗΝΗΣ P ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΚΥΜΗΣ SATURDAY 22 JULY ATHENS OLYMPIC STADIÚM ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΑΡΤΕΜΙΔΟΣ ΥΜΗΣ ΛΕΩΦΟΡΟΣ ΛΕΩΦΟΡΟΣ ΣΠΥΡΟΥ ΛΟΥΗ ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΙΑΣΩ ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΠΕΖΟΓΕΦΥΡΑΣ ΠΥΛ ΡΟΕΣ ΚΑΤΟΧΩΝ ΕΙΣΙΤΗΡΙΩΝ ΚΑΘΗΜΕΝΩΝ ΣΠΥΡΟΥ ΛΕΩΦΟΡΟΣ ΛΕΩΦΟΡΟΣ ΣΠΥΡΟΥ ΛΟΥΗ ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΚΑΘΗΜΕΝΩΝ 1 ΘΥΡΕΣΡΑ,ΡΒ ,28, 29,30,31,32,33,34 ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΚΑΘΗΜΕΝΩΝ 2 ΙΑΘΥΡΕΣ2,3,4,5 ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΚΑΘΗΜΕΝΩΝ 8 ΘΥΡΕΣ6,7,8,9,10 P ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΑ PARKING Λ.ΚΥΜΗΣ τόχους εισι ηρίων ΚΑΘΗΜΕΝΩΝ στο στάδιο του ΤΙΣ ΠΥΛΕΣ ΕΚΤΟΣ ΣΠΥΡΟΥ ΛΟΥΗ'

Metro Station (Green Line) is at "ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ ΕΙΡΗΝΗΣ" (Below EU2023). Arena ticket entrance is below the point 1 .

• Like 1