Oh My God, The Big Daddy SCOM and Axl's "perfectionism"

There are numerous instances of people close to Axl referring to him as a perfectionist, but then in the normal understanding of what that word means, as someone who are willing to spend a lot of time making sure certain things are perfect, and not the mygnrforum definition which seems to mean that a perfectionist can't do anything half-assed.

Here are those quotes: (36) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM (a-4-d.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

The older I get, the more I can see how easy it is to get lost to years. I feel like Axl just got lost in bullshit. Combined behind the scenes legal shit, expectations, lineup changes, likely behind the scenes drama, Axl himself, general craziness, etc- it just got out of hand.

Personally, I think the 2008 version of Chinese Democracy is better than the 1999 version. 9 years better? I don’t know, but we would have probably gotten more new music if it came out then

I think certain tracks are better in certain forms. But mostly Bucket improved on the tracks and the leaks from 2006 and 2007 (so 2003/4 era mixes) were insane. IRS for example had such sleaze and attack to it in the 2007 leak. 

The Andy Wallace mixes were too soft and oddly stripped of guitars in some tracks like The Blues. The final album had no bass and the only improved song was If The World with, ironically Frank on drums. 

Just now, rumandraisin said:

I think certain tracks are better in certain forms. But mostly Bucket improved on the tracks and the leaks from 2006 and 2007 (so 2003/4 era mixes) were insane. IRS for example had such sleaze and attack to it in the 2007 leak. 

The Andy Wallace mixes were too soft and oddly stripped of guitars in some tracks like The Blues. The final album had no bass and the only improved song was If The World with, ironically Frank on drums. 

I really like all the layers on the 2008 version. I think it’s a really well produced album, but that’s just me

3 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I think Bumbles parts were just unnecessary. 

I disagree. I think he added a lot to the songs. Title track fretless, shacklers solo, licks in better, and catcher solos enhance those songs for me

Idk if Bucket ever did another solo in Shacklers, but I didn’t care much for his direction on the Village version

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

The older I get, the more I can see how easy it is to get lost to years. I feel like Axl just got lost in bullshit. Combined behind the scenes legal shit, expectations, lineup changes, likely behind the scenes drama, Axl himself, general craziness, etc- it just got out of hand.

Personally, I think the 2008 version of Chinese Democracy is better than the 1999 version. 9 years better? I don’t know, but we would have probably gotten more new music if it came out then

Overall I agree that the final version of the album is better than any of the demos, with the exception of the following:

If the World (Locker discs version with the extra vocal line is cool)

There Was a Time (bass was louder on the Antiquiet leak)

Catcher in the Rye (The Brian May demo is better in every way except for the lack of Bumble leads during the ending part of the song)

Riad (Locker discs version smokes the final version’s ass)

Sorry (Locker discs version + Axl vocals is the best)

IRS (final version is too busy)

…Okay, never mind. Maybe I don’t like the final album as much as I thought I did.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2023 at 1:11 AM, ZoSoRose said:

I really like all the layers on the 2008 version. I think it’s a really well produced album, but that’s just me

I used to think that too and liked listening to the multiple layers of 2008 version, which has been expertly produced no doubt about it. However, lately I've been listening to the leaks, and although you can't hear all the layers, mildly more distorted, to me it sounds the way it was made to sound. However with saying that, the MSL Madagascar version has clarity with all the parts, and yet imo, some parts are fighting to be heard and sounds way too busy, but serves as an audio summation of the project when you tinker with something long enough. Anywho, my grail release would be CD boxset through out the years. Hope this makes sense.