Axl mentioning Izzy

Hello fellow gunners. Regarding Axl mentioning Izzy lately and adding Izzy’s song in setlist I as an old GNR fan can’t seem to shake an opinion that Axl is hurting since 1991 when Izzy left. Not meaning hurting as he can’t cope with it but Izzy is the one Axl respects the most. Thank you for your replies.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ksks said:

Hello fellow gunners. Regarding Axl mentioning Izzy lately and adding Izzy’s song in setlist I as an old GNR fan can’t seem to shake an opinion that Axl is hurting since 1991 when Izzy left. Not meaning hurting as he can’t cope with it but Izzy is the one Axl respects the most. Thank you for your replies.

He did? When?

On 9/3/2023 at 9:01 AM, Blackstar said:

[After Mr. Brownstone] So, I remember back when we started doing that song and rehearsing it, and I asked Izzy, “What the fuck are you talking about? ‘Get up, wake up around 7?” And he goes, “It's PM, dude. PM”. [Parc Jean Drapeau, Montreal, Canada, August 8, 2023]

[After Pretty Tied Up] You know, the line 'I just found a million dollars that someone forgot'... Well, basically, Izzy had been on an about three-week coke binge and somehow felt he was an accountant. So he may or may not have found an accounting error, but I just thought it sounded pretty fucking cool, that's all - odds are against him, I'll tell you that. [Geodis Park, Nashville, TN, USA, August 26, 2023]

There was another one where he said that the "head and an arm in the garbage can" line in DTJ was a true story, but I don't have the exact quote.

Also this one from a couple years ago:

[Before Don't Cry] This next one is the first song that was written for Guns N’ Roses. I went over to Izzy’s and it was like, I threw some rocks at his window. He came to the window and, I don't know, he was worried I came over there to kick his ass (laughs). We’d been in an argument for a few months. So anyway, you know, it was like the Blues Brothers: "We gotta get the band back together, we gotta get the band together!” We sat down and I go, "Hey, I got some really depressing lyrics." He goes, "Oh dude, I got a really depressing guitar part." I was like, "Perfect, we got it made then.” [Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena, Atlantic City, NJ, USA, September 12, 2021]

And at another show that year he said that Izzy wrote the verses to YCBM and they were some "really cold shit", but he (Axl) loved to sing them because it made him feel badass or something like that.

There were also some Izzy mentions in 2017-18.

I was at the Raleigh show where Axl made the You Could Be Mine comment. He said something along the lines of (paraphrasing) Izzy wrote all the lyrics to the verses of "You Could Be Mine" and every time Axl sings them, even to this day, he thinks "that's some cold shit". He said when he sings them now, he imagines being a certain character from The Sopranos (I cannot remember exactly what character he referenced) to get him in the mood of the song. 

• Like 4