Things you think Axl would do differently if he could? ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค”

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

Probably just act like a real band and keep rolling. There should have been a new album out by 1993, 95, 97 etc. At this point, GNR should have become the Stones 2.0.

Or at least Pearl Jam in the sense that you could really pin point different โ€œerasโ€ of the bands career. Instead, this band had such a big shift early on that its now broken up into 3 main eras: Classic, Chi Dem, and NITL-to now.

The only era that produced the most content was the classic era. There is no other music, except Chinese Democracy which theyโ€™ve played like 60% of since 2016, and 3 โ€œnewโ€ songs from 20 years ago (which they couldnโ€™t stop from leaking!!!!!)

If you could pin point different eras like Southern Rock GNR, Nu Metal GNR, โ€œAxl goes Neil Youngโ€, etc etc, the legacy would have been better.

Although I must say, the lore and story of GNR sometimes outweighs the music ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 1

I think most people would say yes, but I really donโ€™t know. NMW happened in the past, whatever opportunities may have been missed, he still wound up fronting AC/DC and leading a reformed/revamped version of his band on one of the biggest tours of all time. I think he pulled off a win in the 4th quarter, myself.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I think most people would say yes, but I really donโ€™t know. NMW happened in the past, whatever opportunities may have been missed, he still wound up fronting AC/DC and leading a reformed/revamped version of his band on one of the biggest tours of all time. I think he pulled off a win in the 4th quarter, myself.

All while doing a complete 180 with his public image and becoming one of the most likeable rock stars of recent times

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 10:34 PM, Sweersa said:

Axl talked about this during the forum chats several years ago. He said Chinese was the work of the band, not just himself.ย 

No one's saying he did it all himself. He's not Paul McCartney. Nevertheles, it's the work of a group of musicians he assembled and controlled.ย  No one would have been shocked it CD had been released under Axl's name since this group of musician hardly looked like Guns n' Roses.

Not going overboard singing with vocal chord shredding rasp on the UYI tour to save his voice for the future.ย  Going back and listening to some of those shows and then listening to the UYI recordings reminds me that he didn't rasp at nearly the level of the live performances on the recording.ย  On the albums he sung with rasp.ย  In a lot of the live performances he rasped in a way that somewhat followed the notes to sing.

I think Axl wouldn't have done the Use Your Illusions Albums era when he did if he could do things differently. The Use Your Illusions era was done when Axl was a mess emotionally. He was going through a divorce, Guns N'Roses were in a bad place, Axl was hurting about his Family issues(He would randomly rant on stage at Concerts about stuff like the child abuse his Stepfather did and his Mom just allowing her Husband who wasn't even Axl's Biological Father to abuse the shit out of him instead of saying something like,"That's it. I'm divorcing your sorry ass and taking Axl, Stuart, and Amy with me!" Even if the guy was Axl's Biological Father, him abusing Axl would have been grounds for divorce. Axl's Biological Father was horrible to Axl too. Axl had both a fucked up Stepfather and a fucked up Biological Father. Axl had opened up about the fucked up things both his Stepfather and his Biological Father did to him and his Mother's neglect and was stunned that people were mad at HIM for opening up about the abuse and neglect he suffered. He was like,"WHY are people mad at the VICTIM?") , Steven had sued Guns N'Roses for firing him for being a heavy Heroin Addict, the Media was harassing Guns N'Roses, Freddy Mercury, Axl's favorite Singer had died of Aids, etc. The Use Your Illusions era were done in a VERY bad time in Axl's life. Maybe he would have done the Use Your Illusions era in the mod 1990's and not the early 90'sย  if he could. ๐Ÿค”

Edited by Karice
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2023 at 1:16 AM, Karice said:

I think Axl wouldn't have done the Use Your Illusions Albums era when he did if he could do things differently. The Use Your Illusions era was done when Axl was a mess emotionally. He was going through a divorce, Guns N'Roses were in a bad place, Axl was hurting about his Family issues(He would randomly rant on stage at Concerts about stuff like the child abuse his Stepfather did and his Mom just allowing her Husband who wasn't even Axl's Biological Father to abuse the shit out of him instead of saying something like,"That's it. I'm divorcing your sorry ass and taking Axl, Stuart, and Amy with me!" Even if the guy was Axl's Biological Father, him abusing Axl would have been grounds for divorce. Axl's Biological Father was horrible to Axl too. Axl had both a fucked up Stepfather and a fucked up Biological Father. Axl had opened up about the fucked up things both his Stepfather and his Biological Father did to him and his Mother's neglect and was stunned that people were mad at HIM for opening up about the abuse and neglect he suffered. He was like,"WHY are people mad at the VICTIM?") , Steven had sued Guns N'Roses for firing him for being a heavy Heroin Addict, the Media was harassing Guns N'Roses, Freddy Mercury, Axl's favorite Singer had died of Aids, etc. The Use Your Illusions era were done in a VERY bad time in Axl's life. Maybe he would have done the Use Your Illusions era in the mod 1990's and not the early 90'sย  if he could. ๐Ÿค”

I disagree.ย  The turmoil going on in Axl's life added to the artistic output that was on the UYI albums.ย  For instance, we'd never have gotten the epic masterpiece Estranged if Axl wasn't going through a bunch of shit at the time he wrote it.

Just a little nitpick to your hypothetical story, if Axl's mom said something like you suggested she would have called Axl "Billy or William."ย  He didn't become "Axl" until it would have been way too late to stop the childhood abuse.

On 9/24/2023 at 2:08 PM, DoMw94 said:

All while doing a complete 180 with his public image and becoming one of the most likeable rock stars of recent times

I would say he did that, to some extent in 2016 with Guns and AC/DC.

I think he would have preferred to retain Buckethead from his time with the band, through the CD era and with the reunion. :)

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:46 AM, Gnrcane said:

The lyrics to OIAM are offensive but that doesn't make them awful from an artistic point of view.ย  They portrayed the thoughts of a "small town white boy" going to a big city in the late 1970s/early 1980s.ย  I don't know where you are from or how old you are but, somebody growing up in a small town in rural Indiana in the 1960s and 1970s would not have come into contact with very many people, if any, who weren't straight and white.ย  There wasn't any internet so the only exposure to other cultures that somebody would get is maybe a little from watching TV shows, depending on the shows they watched.ย ย 

"Artists" use those offensive words in various works all the time and don't get criticized the way Axl did.ย  The "n word" appears in many works of fiction from the 70s and 80s.ย  It is for sure in Stephen King's "The Stand" being spoken by white characters.ย  IIRC correctly, Daryl's racist brother in "The Walking Dead" used the word on TV in the first season and that was over 20 years after the release of OIAM.

What I'm trying to say is that, from the standpoint of telling as story and portraying the thoughts of the character to the listener, the lyrics of OIAM are excellent.ย  That doesn't mean that I think racial slurs are appropriate to use in songs but their use doesn't automatically make me hate the song.ย  I mean, if Axl would have found different words to describe black men hassling and intimidating people in inner city bus stops would it really have made a difference.ย  As far as the "gay F word," that was a pretty common term used back then and wasn't looked at in the way it is now.ย  It was used as an insult all the time by other kids when I was in the 10-15 year old range back in the 80s.

Smart post.ย  Sometimes I forget that a large number of members on here weren't living the 80's and may lack firsthand contextual knowledge.ย ย 

18 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I disagree.ย  The turmoil going on in Axl's life added to the artistic output that was on the UYI albums.ย  For instance, we'd never have gotten the epic masterpiece Estranged if Axl wasn't going through a bunch of shit at the time he wrote it.

Just a little nitpick to your hypothetical story, if Axl's mom said something like you suggested she would have called Axl "Billy or William."ย  He didn't become "Axl" until it would have been way too late to stop the childhood abuse.

Oh yeah, you're right. She definitely would have called him William/Billy/Bill/Willy, not Axl. I had forgotten when I wrote my post that he wasn't called Axl yet when he was a child. ๐Ÿคญ

ย 

On another Guns N'Roses Fan Website, I wrote something like,"I think when Axl said,"Just a Street Urchin living under the street, I'm your Charity Case, so get me something to eat, I'll pay you at another time, take it to the end of the line, in Paradise City, Axl was referring to when he was a poor child named William. So, if you took care of poor child named William, his wealthy "Older Brother," named Axl would take very good care of you too, maybe for the rest of your life. So, taking care of poor William would get you treated VERY well by the wealthy Axl. Like saying,"Hey, thanks for taking care of my poor little brother William when I couldn't. It means so much to me and I'm eternally grateful and thankful to you, I'll take care of you for the rest of your life as thanks for taking care of my little brother William."ย ๐Ÿ˜€ IIRC, an Admin wrote something like,"That's a VERY interesting interpretation of the Paradise City lyrics, but you shouldn't have started a brand new thread to say that. There is already a section where you could have said that."ย 

Edited by Karice

About Axl ranting on stage about his childhood abuse from his Stepfather and his Mom allowing her Husband to abuse her Son, I found it weird as hell that the crowd was cheering when Axl was having what looked to be a mental breakdown on stage. "My Stepfather abused me as a child and my Mother just stood by and allowed him to do that!" ๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ญ Crowd...๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿคฃ It was fucking surreal.ย 

Edited by Karice

On 10/5/2023 at 9:14 AM, Karice said:

Oh yeah, you're right. She definitely would have called him William/Billy/Bill/Willy, not Axl. I had forgotten when I wrote my post that he wasn't called Axl yet when he was a child. ๐Ÿคญ

ย 

On another Guns N'Roses Fan Website, I wrote something like,"I think when Axl said,"Just a Street Urchin living under the street, I'm your Charity Case, so get me something to eat, I'll pay you at another time, take it to the end of the line, in Paradise City, Axl was referring to when he was a poor child named William. So, if you took care of poor child named William, his wealthy "Older Brother," named Axl would take very good care of you too, maybe for the rest of your life. So, taking care of poor William would get you treated VERY well by the wealthy Axl. Like saying,"Hey, thanks for taking care of my poor little brother William when I couldn't. It means so much to me and I'm eternally grateful and thankful to you, I'll take care of you for the rest of your life as thanks for taking care of my little brother William."ย ๐Ÿ˜€ IIRC, an Admin wrote something like,"That's a VERY interesting interpretation of the Paradise City lyrics, but you shouldn't have started a brand new thread to say that. There is already a section where you could have said that."ย 

k

• 3 weeks later...

I think if Axl was capable of lying, he would falsely claim that the Singer on My World was some sort of Alternative Rock Singer like say Nine Inch Nails or Red Hot Chili Peppers who was trying to get his foot in the door so Axl let him sing My World uncredited and paid him. Because My World REALLY doesn't sound like Axl, it truly sounds like an Alternative Rock Singer.ย 

Edited by Karice

On 10/6/2023 at 9:16 AM, Karice said:

About Axl ranting on stage about his childhood abuse from his Stepfather and his Mom allowing her Husband to abuse her Son, I found it weird as hell that the crowd was cheering when Axl was having what looked to be a mental breakdown on stage. "My Stepfather abused me as a child and my Mother just stood by and allowed him to do that!" ๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ญ Crowd...๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿคฃ It was fucking surreal.ย 

I can't watch that footage anymore, I have seen it a few times now and I don't doubt it helped a lot of people feel less alone, but if I click on it by accident I come out of it. The crowd response was odd and I just want to get him the hell out of there.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:36 AM, JoJo Bonetto said:

I can't watch that footage anymore, I have seen it a few times now and I don't doubt it helped a lot of people feel less alone, but if I click on it by accident I come out of it. The crowd response was odd and I just want to get him the hell out of there.

Some Posters on YouTube speculated that maybe some of the cheering Fans in that weird video weren't REALLY listening to what Axl was SAYING, they were just cheering for HIM in general. It's possible that when they saw the Concert Footage later in their houses , away from the crowd and the concert, they probably thought,"Wow, we seem like JERKS cheering when Axl was basically having a mental breakdown on stage. Didn't realize what he was SAYING until now and I now regret cheering."ย 

• Like 1

1. He wouldn't have released "One in a Million."

2. He wouldn't have said the stuff about members needing to get clean during the 1989 show.

3. He wouldn't have done the recorded sex scenes of "Rocket Queen" with Steven Adler's girlfriend, if rumors are true.

4. He wouldn't have done such a long UYI tour.

5. He would have gone independent and released the initial NIN-style version of ChiDem in the late-90s that he wanted to, if rumors are true, but the record company said no. Then he would've worked on the more melodramatic and bombastic ChiDem 2.

6. He wouldn't have done the MTV VMAs in 2002.

7. He would've mended fences with Slash and Duff earlier. If rumors of Slash trying to mend them in the early/mid 2000s are true, I think Ax wishes he allowed that door to open.

Edited by 3rd Wheel

• 4 weeks later...