Snakepit Tracks That Axl Liked

19 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Is there any reason to believe that it's actually true and exists, and not just GNR fan-fiction?

Even though I am so interested in it I would read it even if it was fan-fic lol.

No, there's no reason to believe it's real. For one, it doesn't make sense that stuff like that would be on Beta's email, so I'm inclined to think that it's fabricated.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Blackstar said:

No, there's no reason to believe it's real. For one, it doesn't make sense that stuff like that would be on Beta's email, so I'm inclined to think that it's fabricated.

I guess the part that makes it so interesting is how specifc it is in refrencing Duff's album. But of course you WOULD add those types of details to make someone believe.

I may be way off here, but during the Axl chats, when one of the users asked him for his thoughts on Contraband, he made a point to say that it was a good question, but it was going to take longer than he had the time for to give a detailed answer.  And I always thought that maybe Axl felt there were some of those songs on that album that should have rightfully been Guns material? Especially when you factor in that Izzy worked with the guys involved in VR at the beginning.  I wonder if there were riffs and ideas that made it onto that album, that were born in some of the last official 90's GNR sessions.

Just seemed to me that an answer of "creatively uninspired" or "not really what Im into at the moment" would have been easy enough. By not saying something like that, you can kind of read between the lines and see that Axl did dig some of the stuff. Evidenced later on by his willingess to sing "Slither".

2 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I may be way off here, but during the Axl chats, when one of the users asked him for his thoughts on Contraband, he made a point to say that it was a good question, but it was going to take longer than he had the time for to give a detailed answer.  And I always thought that maybe Axl felt there were some of those songs on that album that should have rightfully been Guns material? Especially when you factor in that Izzy worked with the guys involved in VR at the beginning.  I wonder if there were riffs and ideas that made it onto that album, that were born in some of the last official 90's GNR sessions.

Just seemed to me that an answer of "creatively uninspired" or "not really what Im into at the moment" would have been easy enough. By not saying something like that, you can kind of read between the lines and see that Axl did dig some of the stuff. Evidenced later on by his willingess to sing "Slither".

At the time I thought that Contraband probably put the brakes on Chinese Democracy.

Its a very strong album with a sound different to GNR.

A Contraband/CD best of would be interesting. 

3 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

Marc Canter said that Axl liked some of VR but had some "constructive criticism" about it, e.g. that it could be better here and there.

It seems that he probably felt that at least Fall To Pieces should have been GN'R material, as he mentioned it specifically in the chats. And according to Marc, Fall To Pieces was one of the three Slash songs that Axl was thinking about including on CD in 2001 with Slash playing on them, provided that Slash would apologize.

• Like 3

I posted this in the General Musings thread, but it's relevant here, too. According to Ron Young, singer of the band Little Caesar, he was going to be the singer in Snakepit, but Geffen wanted someone closer to Axl's style, so they kind of imposed Eric Dover:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/little-caesar-rock-band-story

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Marc Canter said that Axl liked some of VR but had some "constructive criticism" about it, e.g. that it could be better here and there.

It seems that he probably felt that at least Fall To Pieces should have been GN'R material, as he mentioned it specifically in the chats. And according to Marc, Fall To Pieces was one of the three Slash songs that Axl was thinking about including on CD in 2001 with Slash playing on them, provided that Slash would apologize.

Wow thats a lot of info there. I need to re-read those Canter chats!

On 11/7/2023 at 3:24 AM, vloors said:

Beggars and hangers was defiantely one. It was soundchecked by GNR in 93

If they sound checked it, there is probably a recording deep in the vault somewhere of Axl singing it.  They wouldn't sound check a song he hadn't been aware of and ready to sing.

Might be my new grail....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeadSlash said:

If they sound checked it, there is probably a recording deep in the vault somewhere of Axl singing it.  They wouldn't sound check a song he hadn't been aware of and ready to sing.

Might be my new grail....

But if Axl wasn't at soundcheck (which he usually wasn't), why not jamming on a song written by Slash, Duff.

Soundchecking Beggars on a GNR gig doesn't mean it's necessarily intended to be a GNR song but it could be of course.

Axl rejected the songs because they were too much southern rock. Beggars was the most Southern Rock -ish song on 5 o'clock if you ask me. 

They were probably working it out in soundchecks, that's all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think Fall to Pieces is really boring and we already had This I Love to fill this role on CD. :lol:

But I always assumed that the three songs Axl wanted Slash were CD tracks, like TIL, Street of Dreams and some other from the Village sessions. 

Edited by Voodoochild

On 11/7/2023 at 6:14 PM, Blackstar said:

Very possible, but I think Axl did use Beta's email, if I recall that's how Axl found out Reckless Road was coming out and got pissed at Marc.

You guys are world-record holders in jumping to conclusions, so they're jamming a riff that Slash was working on turning into a song at the time, and there are already people in here posting there must be a recording of Axl singing the song, lol

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think Fall to Pieces is really boring and we already had This I Love to fill this whole on CD. :lol:

But I always assumed that the three songs Axl wanted Slash were CD tracks, like TIL, Street of Dreams and some other from the Village sessions. 

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't view Marc's recent statement as confirmation of anything. Marc didn't have the best memory of individual songs while Canter Banter was active here. I assume he remembers Axl's public comment about wanting to have worked on FTP and is conflating that with Axl's 3 song conversation with him in 2001. Certainly wouldn't be the first time he's got his info mixed up.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

3 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't view Marc's recent statement as confirmation of anything. Marc didn't have the best memory of individual songs while Canter Banter was active here. I assume he remembers Axl's public comment about wanting to have worked on FTP and is conflating that with Axl's 3 song conversation with him in 2001. Certainly wouldn't be the first time he's got his info mixed up.

Didn't follow him that much but I think you're probably right. Even more so considering how murky and weird was that era for everyone, including Axl himself.

8 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't view Marc's recent statement as confirmation of anything. Marc didn't have the best memory of individual songs while Canter Banter was active here, and he certainly never mentioned the FTP connection during that time. I assume he remembers Axl's public comment about wanting to have worked on FTP and is conflating that with Axl's 3 song conversation with him in 2001. Certainly wouldn't be the first time he's got his info mixed up.

And according to Slash FTP origins from a later situation. I think from 2001 when he was working with some dudes from a band that I forgot the name of. Jellyfish maybe...? 

Blackstar knows for sure :lol:

Edit: Eric Dover was the guitarist for Jellyfisch. These guys were from Blackstone Cherry maybe? Something like this.

Edited by Free Bird

Just now, Free Bird said:

And according to Slash FTP origins from a later situation. I think from 2001 when he was working with some dudes from a band that I forgot the name of. Jellyfish maybe...? 

It's unlikely that Axl is lying about Slash presenting FTP in 1996. Slash may have forgot, or it may have been something similar to FTP but not quite the same and Axl is misremembering, or it could be different parts of the songs were constructed at different times (I think Axl said Slash played him the "key parts" in 1996). I just don't believe that we can know for certain that FTP was one of the songs Axl wanted Slash to play on in 2001 based off Marc's comment, because it was never mentioned before, and Marc has had a bad memory when it comes to this kind of stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Edit: Eric Dover was the guitarist for Jellyfisch. These guys were from Blackstone Cherry maybe? Something like this.

He was working on some kind of band with the drummer of The Black Crowes, Steve Gorman, after Snakepit 2 folded but before VR

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

20 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Slash's memory of that period has been, by his own admission, very hazy. And Duff recently said that Slash didn't remember playing guitar on Hope. So I think it's more likely that Slash doesn't remember than Marc Canter misremembering.

• Like 1