Snakepit Tracks That Axl Liked

9 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

If they sound checked it, there is probably a recording deep in the vault somewhere of Axl singing it.  They wouldn't sound check a song he hadn't been aware of and ready to sing.

Might be my new grail....

Also the back and forth again that is clearly a rehearsal recording played in the estranged vid. Axl is whistling over slash gtr

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash's memory of that period has been, by his own admission, very hazy. And Duff recently said that Slash didn't remember playing guitar on Hope. So I think it's more likely that Slash doesn't remember than Marc Canter misremembering.

Forgetting about Hope is not the same as forgetting about FTP, though. It could be that Marc is right, but since we have different statements by Slash and Axl, all we can do is make assumptions.

I always thought Axl talked about three songs he already used for CD, but that was only my impression.

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

It's unlikely that Axl is lying about Slash presenting FTP in 1996. Slash may have forgot, or it may have been something similar to FTP but not quite the same and Axl is misremembering, or it could be different parts of the songs were constructed at different times (I think Axl said Slash played him the "key parts" in 1996). I just don't believe that we can know for certain that FTP was one of the songs Axl wanted Slash to play on in 2001 based off Marc's comment, because it was never mentioned before, and Marc has had a bad memory when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Wasn't FTP basic chord structure being played in the background on Estranged's Making Of doc? Or was that a Snakepit track?

Burnout originally intended to be a GN'R song that found it's way on to a Les Paul tribute album ( unreleased sadly )  where Slash, Duff, Lenny Kravitz, Kenny Aronoff on drums and Iggy on vocals performed it.. 

“We did a song that was supposed to be a Guns N' Roses song but Steven could never play. It's a slow blues  shuffle called Burnout. It's really different now though ' cause Iggy's singing.” ( SLASH Guitar World  Magazine February 1992) 

It later went on to become Ain't life grand by Snakepit, the title track of there sophomore release. http://www.snakepit.org/knac00.html 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rindmelon said:

Burnout originally intended to be a GN'R song that found it's way on to a Les Paul tribute album ( unreleased sadly )  where Slash, Duff, Lenny Kravitz, Kenny Aronoff on drums and Iggy on vocals performed it.. 

“We did a song that was supposed to be a Guns N' Roses song but Steven could never play. It's a slow blues  shuffle called Burnout. It's really different now though ' cause Iggy's singing.” ( SLASH Guitar World  Magazine February 1992) 

It later went on to become Ain't life grand by Snakepit, the title track of there sophomore release. http://www.snakepit.org/knac00.html 

Gilby said somewhere most of his first solo record was presented to GNR initially for use but Axl wasn’t into it

always on the run’s riff was written by slash initially for GNR too but the riff was too funky or whatevs 

This was YEARS before Slash ever thought of forming another band, recorded in 1991/1992, what's this got to do with Snakepit songs?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

2 minutes ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Gilby said somewhere most of his first solo record was presented to GNR initially for use but Axl wasn’t into it

That seems to be a trend with the band, even during the CD-era, post Buckethead.

I tried to get into the Snakepit stuff, just wasn't for me. I enjoy VR though, and some of Slash's older solo stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

This was YEARS before Slash ever thought of forming another band, recorded in 1991/1992, what's this got to do with Snakepit songs?

Because it became Ain't life grand by Snakepit. At some point maybe Axl liked it but it was dropped because Adler couldn't play it. 

Given that it became the title track of the second Snakepit album & it turns out it was around in Adler's era I thought it was worth mentioning.

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Forgetting about Hope is not the same as forgetting about FTP, though. It could be that Marc is right, but since we have different statements by Slash and Axl, all we can do is make assumptions.

I always thought Axl talked about three songs he already used for CD, but that was only my impression.

The only thing Axl said about FTP was that Slash played "the key bits" of it during the 1996 sessions. So it probably was just a riff idea that Slash came up with then and likely forgot about it.

Axl hasn't talked about Slash and the three songs on CD. Marc Canter is the source of that story.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The only thing Axl said about FTP was that Slash played "the key bits" of it during the 1996 sessions. So it probably was just a riff idea that Slash came up with then and likely forgot about it.

Axl hasn't talked about Slash and the three songs on CD. Marc Canter is the source of that story.

Ok my bad. Would be interesting to know what was said and how Axl feels/felt about all the solo stuff

• Like 1

What Marc said doesn't line up with what Axl said really. From what Axl said it sounds like Slash played the little riff and quickly squirreled it away once he showed interest. I believe that it didn't become a fully realized song until the early 2000s like Slash says being that it didn't show up on either Snakepit album.

Edited by -W.A.R-

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think Fall to Pieces is really boring and we already had This I Love to fill this role on CD. :lol:

But I always assumed that the three songs Axl wanted Slash were CD tracks, like TIL, Street of Dreams and some other from the Village sessions. 

According to Marc Canter they were songs Slash "had written on" (before he left the band). So it was either songs that were built upon a Slash idea or, more likely, tracks in development that Axl was working on in the mid 90s (probably with Paul Tobias) and Slash had laid guitar parts on during the last sessions. So TIL could have been one of them and maybe FTP was a part that Slash had come up with and Axl wanted to use it for one of his own songs. Hard School could also have been one of those Axl songs and Slash didn't even remember laying guitar on it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2023 at 1:36 PM, Free Bird said:

Yeah thats a good example. Great riff, great solo, but bland lyrics. Having Axl's vocals over that song would be huge upgrade. 

One of only two songs on the album with lyrics written entirely by Slash (the other being, drumroll... Take It Away, the one about Axl). Be The Ball was both inspired by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and also written from the point of view of a pinball in a machine, so not an easy concept to write lyrics about to begin with.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:00 PM, Blackstar said:

I posted this in the General Musings thread, but it's relevant here, too. According to Ron Young, singer of the band Little Caesar, he was going to be the singer in Snakepit, but Geffen wanted someone closer to Axl's style, so they kind of imposed Eric Dover:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/little-caesar-rock-band-story

I call bullsh*t on that.

Hey guys, guess what? I was gonna be the singer of Slash's touring band, but the record company forced them to use Myles Kennedy because he's a prettyboy. True story, trust me bruh.

Imagine Slash listening to this generic Bon Jovi sounding guy and then choosing that over Eric fucking Dover shredding his throat like he did on 5'O Clock.

17 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

If they sound checked it, there is probably a recording deep in the vault somewhere of Axl singing it.  They wouldn't sound check a song he hadn't been aware of and ready to sing.

Might be my new grail....

Jesus Christ... I'm going to be generous and assume y'all are not guitarists because that is not a song, it's a loose jam. Slash is just doing the same descending slide riff over and over again. It's plausible that this jam inspired him to write something based on that riff, but to call this jam Beggars and Hangers On is absurd.

This reminds me of when Slash played three chords in 1988 and MFers were saying he wrote the riff to Chinese Democracy. XD

6 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Jesus Christ... I'm going to be generous and assume y'all are not guitarists because that is not a song, it's a loose jam. Slash is just doing the same descending slide riff over and over again. It's plausible that this jam inspired him to write something based on that riff, but to call this jam Beggars and Hangers On is absurd.

Beggars was written during the GN'R tour though and Duff has a writing credit on it, so that jam probably was really the basis of it.

11 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

One of only two songs on the album with lyrics written entirely by Slash (the other being, drumroll... Take It Away, the one about Axl). Be The Ball was both inspired by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and also written from the point of view of a pinball in a machine, so not an easy concept to write lyrics about to begin with.

Going by the publishing shares, Slash seems to also have written most of the lyrics to I Hate Everybody (But You) and part of the lyrics to Back and Forth Again and Doin' Fine (I intend to add a "bonus section" to my writing credits thread about VR and Slash's other bands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Beggars was written during the GN'R tour though and Duff has a writing credit on it, so that jam probably was really the basis of it.

Going by the publishing shares, Slash seems to also have written most of the lyrics to I Hate Everybody (But You) and part of the lyrics to Back and Forth Again and Doin' Fine (I intend to add a "bonus section" to my writing credits thread about VR and Slash's other bands.

Soma City Ward is possibly another one, maybe even older than the latter UYI tour. Izzy has a co-write on it. Possibly one considered as such?

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash talks about this in this book or am I misremembering? That he wrote quite a few songs on Snakepit specifically about Axl. 

3 hours ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Soma City Ward is possibly another one, maybe even older than the latter UYI tour. Izzy has a co-write on it. Possibly one considered as such?

Slash talks about this in this book or am I misremembering? That he wrote quite a few songs on Snakepit specifically about Axl. 

That Izzy has co-written Soma City Ward has been told here more than once but he has no credit in the liner notes. Publishing shares could give us more information. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Izzy has neither a credit nor a publishing share for Soma City Ward. I don't know where this came from (I guess wikipedia, but it's wrong).

6 hours ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Yes, he does (in a couple of interviews, too). From the lyrics that seem to be entirely or mostly his, though, only Take It Away looks to be about Axl. But in an interview he said that there were "innuendos" in many of the songs and Eric Dover's lyrics were just a "filter".