Concerts in 2024

dontdamnmeuyi2015

Neil Young tonight! 20 dollars after fees on Stubhub! lol. That's a no- brainer. This will be my third time seeing him. 

Also on the radar so far,

Mdou Moctar
John Fogerty
Sting
David Gilmour

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Ended up at the front for Neil Young. He kicks so much ass

Agreed, he's still an absolute beast. Seeing him cover A Day In The Life up close live is still one of the coolest things I ever saw live. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

There’s a massive Detroit concert, this week. It’s free and tickets sold out instantly. It is to commemorate the opening of the revitalized Michigan Central Station. I’m really trying to find a way to go!

Edited by ZoSoRose

Posted (edited)

I got into the concert, and it was a truly epic event! Detroit has this massive, gorgeous train station that has sat dilapidated for many decades. As a kid, I was told it was both haunted and filled with drugs :lol: Ford pumped like a billion dollars (fucking insane) into its restoration to transform it into a tech hub with offices, commerce, and a park. My fiancé is a commercial lighting designer, and she has actually worked on the project by doing some of the outdoor lighting design on the grounds. She's gotten to go inside and, on the roof, as it was being renovated! The building's transformation is a huge source of pride for the state and city. 

To kick off its opening, a huge concert was organized celebrating Detroit artists of relevant genres to the city- Motown, Hip- Hop, Gospel, Soul, Rock, and Techno with some pretty massive names. It was free and tickets sold out in seconds a few weeks back when the site crashed. Somehow, we managed to get in due to the kindness of a coworker, so we went last night. The entire thing was streamed on Peacock and broadcasted on NBC. The Governor and Mayor showed up for speeches before the show, athletes and actors showed up, yadda- yadda- yadda... it was a big deal for Detroit! 

It ended up being a killer event and the grounds with the huge building as the backdrop was a really unique setting for a concert. Diana Ross opened the show, Jack White did a set, Eminem closed it, and a bunch of other Detroit (and some out- of- town artists) performed in- between. Killer show to witness. I'll have to check out the proshot version. Got some event posters and a limited Jack White record pressed just for the event, too. Great night!

mco_livefromdetroit_poster_ep_version.jpg.94734ffe929ff21dc2310e8862a66c79.jpg

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

It has been a good start with Neil Young + Crazy Horse and Live From Detroit!

So far, I also have the following on my hit list,

Mdou Moctar (Funeral for Justice Tour)- Magic Bag, Ferndale MI
Slash/ Keb' Mo/ ZZ Ward/ Robert Randolph (S.E.R.P.E.N.T. Festival)- The Coliseum, Windsor, Ontario 
John Fogerty/ George Thorogood & the Destroyers/ Hearty Har (Celebration Tour)- Pine Knob, Clarkston MI
Sting (Sting 3.0 Tour)- The Fillmore Theater, Detroit, MI
David Gilmour (Luck and Strange Tour)- Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY

If I end up seeing all of these, it will be the remaining must- sees on my artist bucket list for active musicians with Sting, Fogerty, and especially Gilmour. I guess the only A- list must- sees for me would be John Paul Jones in some capacity (doubt he will tour) and although I have seen Jimmy Page in- person and am grateful and happy with that, I'd of course, love to see him play the guitar (won't happen). 

So, overall, I am really happy with this year's docket. I will have pretty much crossed- off my must - sees!

Edited by ZoSoRose

On 1/31/2024 at 12:22 PM, username said:

Update on my 2024 list: 
2024-02-03 - DeWolff @ EM2, Groningen
2024-03-10 - K3 @ Martiniplaza, Groningen
2024-04-19 - Kid Kapichi @ Melkweg, Amsterdam 
2024-05-22 - The Black Crowes @ AFAS Live, Amsterdam
2024-06-19 - Green Day, The Hives, The Interrupters @ Gelredome, Arnhem
2023-06-23 - Steel Panther @ Oosterpoort, Groningen 
2024-06-27 - Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band @ Goffertpark, Nijmegen
2024-08-31 - The Teskey Brothers @ Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam
2024-11-11 - Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit @ Ooterpoort, Groningen 

Well, in April I was sick and missed the Kid Kapichi show. Absolutely gutted about that! Really fucking bummed out. They did announce them for a festival in October, so I might now go there instead. Don't give a fuck about the rest of the lineup, so it'd be a 45e ticket for just them and the location is pretty far away. But I really still want to see them. Kinda hoping they'll also announce some more club shows. 

Thankfully I got to see Black Crowes as planned. Good show! I've seen them be better and I've seen them be worse. But overall this was a good show! This was very clearly the lean blues/soulrock band The Black Crowes, and not the kinda psychadelic (and maybe a little self-indulgent) jamband The Black Crowes. It's weird how they have two faces like that. 

Up next week are Green Day and Steel Panther. Then Springsteen the week after that. 

Then Teskey Brothers and Mdou Moctar in the same week somewhere in August. 

Some Crowes pics: 

May be an image of 2 people

May be an image of piano

May be an image of 4 people

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, username said:

Well, in April I was sick and missed the Kid Kapichi show. Absolutely gutted about that! Really fucking bummed out. They did announce them for a festival in October, so I might now go there instead. Don't give a fuck about the rest of the lineup, so it'd be a 45e ticket for just them and the location is pretty far away. But I really still want to see them. Kinda hoping they'll also announce some more club shows. 

Thankfully I got to see Black Crowes as planned. Good show! I've seen them be better and I've seen them be worse. But overall this was a good show! This was very clearly the lean blues/soulrock band The Black Crowes, and not the kinda psychadelic (and maybe a little self-indulgent) jamband The Black Crowes. It's weird how they have two faces like that. 

Up next week are Green Day and Steel Panther. Then Springsteen the week after that. 

Then Teskey Brothers and Mdou Moctar in the same week somewhere in August. 

Some Crowes pics: 

May be an image of piano

May be an image of 4 people

I saw the Crowes on their reunion tour in 2021. First big concert since the pandemic. I’m a casual fan, but I enjoyed it enough

13 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I saw the Crowes on their reunion tour in 2021. First big concert since the pandemic. I’m a casual fan, but I enjoyed it enough

This was my fifth time seeing them. 

In 2009 at the HMH (same venue as this) they were very very good. 

In 2011 at Zwarte Cross festival it was pretty bad. The crowd wasn't into it and the band was very not into it. No encore. 

In 2013 opening for Springsteen was decent, but this band doesn't really fit a 60.000+ outdoor venue. 

In 2013 (a month later) in the legendary Paradiso was absolutely from another planet. Fucking amazing!

I'd say this show was is the 3rd best. Maybe almost as good as 2009 (although that was the extended jamband and not the rockband The Black Crowes). But definitely not on Paradiso level. 

I missed that reunion tour because I was kinda pissed at the brothers doing it without at the very least Steve and Sven. But I read it was still very good. By now they have Sven back, which is nice. Steve has set all bridges ablaze, so that's never happening. :lol: 

Edited by username

Seeing Megadave today. Not expecting much, but hey, it's Megadeth. And they're some cool cuts in the set. Excited for Hook In Mouth.

EDIT: It was much better than I expected. No Hook In Mouth, though 😂

IMG_7257.jpeg

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 1

Holy fuck was that concert next- level! So glad I managed to get in with all my people!

Mdou Moctar is a certified guitar legend at this point. I saw him last year in a small club called The Blind Pig. It is a pretty legendary, local venue (Nirvana and a lot of grunge bands used to play there when they were starting out and touring). That show was incredible because of the small setting and it felt like a real rock n' roll show! This show, almost a year later, was in a bigger (still intimate) theater complete with a light show and lasers and all of that. The band's performance was absolutely insane. They were even tighter and more insane, this year. The drummer blows me the fuck away and the guitar playing is absolutely stellar. He speaks with that Stratocaster. 

Highly recommend this tour if you want some unique, powerful rock n' roll from a different part of the world. They perfectly mix hard rock, blues, and traditional Tuareg music together. Fuck yeah. 

• Like 1

So, last Wednesday I saw Green Day. Opening bands The Interrupters and The Hives were pretty fun too. But Green Day was from another planet. They played an enormous 37 song set that included both Dookie and American Idiot being played entirely and in order. Aside from that some new songs from Saviors and some classics like Good Riddence, Minority, Brain Stew and Know Your Enemy. Absolutely awesome set! The band seemed really into it and so did the crowd. They had a fan do guest vocals on Know Your Enemy (as they do every show) which was cool. But they also pulled a guy on stage with a sign that he wanted to play the guitar part on Good Riddence. And he did, brilliantly. Cool moment. 

I went to this gig because 2 years ago they played my home city and I didn't go because I'm not that huge a fan. But I really regretted is as I could hear most of the show from my house. This more than made up for that. I expected a decent show but I got a really great one. ^_^ 

May be an image of crowd and text

May be an image of 3 people

May be an image of crowd

May be an image of 4 people, lighting, fire and crowd

Next up are Steel Panther this Sunday and then Bruce Springsteen next week! ^_^ 

On 6/20/2024 at 8:38 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Holy fuck was that concert next- level! So glad I managed to get in with all my people!

Mdou Moctar is a certified guitar legend at this point. I saw him last year in a small club called The Blind Pig. It is a pretty legendary, local venue (Nirvana and a lot of grunge bands used to play there when they were starting out and touring). That show was incredible because of the small setting and it felt like a real rock n' roll show! This show, almost a year later, was in a bigger (still intimate) theater complete with a light show and lasers and all of that. The band's performance was absolutely insane. They were even tighter and more insane, this year. The drummer blows me the fuck away and the guitar playing is absolutely stellar. He speaks with that Stratocaster. 

Highly recommend this tour if you want some unique, powerful rock n' roll from a different part of the world. They perfectly mix hard rock, blues, and traditional Tuareg music together. Fuck yeah. 

I was already really looking forward to seeing him, but you're definitely added to that! Glad you enjoyed the show!

Saw Patton and his childhood goonies deliver exactly what the doctor ordered, while at the same time managing to floor me, next thing I know, I stumble into The Hives playing next door and that is exactly what the tape shows. Going 200% at every note played, a productive couple of three hours if I must say so myself.

Enough to keep one going for another decade or so.

• Like 1