Ryan Gosling ft. Slash and Mark Ronson Perform 'I'm Just Ken' at Oscars 2024

On 3/15/2024 at 1:52 AM, Rovim said:

it's not that only one type of playing is the only good type. Hendrix was sloppy and Page was as well. sometimes you can call it loose, and those types of players are often adventerous in their playing. Robin is sloppy too. some think he can barely play. others praise his style of playing. 

Slash had a rare balance between tight and loose back in his peak. Now I agree it's different, maybe more mistakes. I thought this performance was great, but for me it's the overall vibe of the performance.

I also think Slash took what Jimmy Page was doing and made it tighter and added his own thing to it. If you like more accurate playing and it's one of the factors that is important for you, that's fine. but like EVH said, there are no rules. (Eddie wasn't really into Hendrix because he thought he was too sloppy, depends on what you prefer as a listener) look what Zeppelin achieved with Page and what Jimi did with his choice to throw caution to the wind and just play in the moment.

none of this shit is an excuse as there were players like Jeff Beck who had everything but sometimes, maybe often, he also crashed and burned in live performances cause he was pushing himself beyond what was comfortable to play.

a big part of guitar playing in the genre of blues for example, the style and personality of it is the little imperfections when a player bends a string, you can call it out of tune and when you're playing isn't on time, a little behind or a little ahead, that also gives it its own thing. sometimes its sounds bad, but you don't have to play an instrument to know what you like and what you just don't give a fuck enough about if at all for it to ruin the experience for you.

Hendrix was loose, Page was sloppy and I am plenty critical of Page for that.

To be clear, I am not against imperfections. I like Hendrix, and Slash had a similarly loose style. The key difference is that Hendrix and old Slash never completely lost the beat, were nearly always in the pocket and put melody above speed. The difference is being loose but in the pocket, and being out of pocket completely.

"Instead of playing patterns, hear the melody you're going for.
It's something that very few guitar players of my generation paid attention to." - Slash

Somehow, he's fallen into the very trap he once criticized.

I wonder, would those in here disagreeing with me say that Slash is "not rock n roll" or that he's "overanalyzing and making a science out of it" with this quote? Hmm...

I suppose Slash never learned any technique... but then how did he know to use the harmonic minor in Sweet Child?

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

35 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Rock and roll is when you don't know how to play your instrument because you never sat down and analyzed music?

Jesus Christ, I can't stand this attitude.

There's no reason Slash can't slow down and play with a little more thought. It's not that his ability to play has deteriorated.

Did I say that? No. You tried to criticize my technical analysis. If you have no knowledge, don't wade into that discussion. I don't tell my mechanic that the head gasket failing is a "slight technical quibble" and then when he questions my mechanical knowledge, play the victim and say "Oh you think I need an engineering degree to talk about cars?". Give me a break.

"MUSIC ISN'T ABOUT TECHNIQUE"!

Holy shit, why am I even bothering here? If you actually believe that, you should be listening to punk bands who take pride in not knowing how to play their instruments. Guns N Roses are a very technically adept band, always have been.

Congratulations on dodging the point and having no response to my actual argument.

You know what, maybe you’re even right technically. More power to you if you’re able to tell the little nuances, though I’m sorry for you that it takes you the joy from listening to some great music. Punk for example. You missed out on some really cool tunes bro. 😎 

1 hour ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Hendrix was loose, Page was sloppy and I am plenty critical of Page for that.

To be clear, I am not against imperfections. I like Hendrix, and Slash had a similarly loose style. The key difference is that Hendrix and old Slash never completely lost the beat, were nearly always in the pocket and put melody above speed. The difference is being loose but in the pocket, and being out of pocket completely.

"Instead of playing patterns, hear the melody you're going for.
It's something that very few guitar players of my generation paid attention to." - Slash

Somehow, he's fallen into the very trap he once criticized.

I wonder, would those in here disagreeing with me say that Slash is "not rock n roll" or that he's "overanalyzing and making a science out of it" with this quote? Hmm...

I suppose Slash never learned any technique... but then how did he know to use the harmonic minor in Sweet Child?

I guess you meant theory with the harmonic minor. Slash knows basic theory and a bunch of scales. his technique improved compared to when he was younger. 

the way he plays now doesn't have much to do with what he knows imo, it's just less inspired and maybe has something to do with the fact that he's sober now like he talked about. 

it's an easy solution to play faster and more notes when you don't have a clear idea on how to continue your musical direction when you're soloing, which sometimes Slash does now.

he doesn't lose direction all the time. I don't disagree that nowdays it's not as good as it was, he didn't stay at the level he was at his peak imo.

I think his aim is to still be a melodic player but it doesn't always happen and he said that nowdays sometimes he rushes live from excitement because he's not drinking anymore. could be true or he just doesn't feel it as much anymore most of the time like he used to for whatever reason.

Edited by Rovim

The fact is, Slash is up there playing at the Oscars and you're not, so no one cares about your analysis of his mistakes. He also flew in from Korea right before the gig and flew back right after, so he was probably pretty jetlagged also and possibly didn't have a chance to fully rehearse with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The fact is, Slash is up there playing at the Oscars and you're not, so no one cares about your analysis of his mistakes. He also flew in from Korea right before the gig and flew back right after, so he was probably pretty jetlagged also and possibly didn't have a chance to fully rehearse with them.

Just to be fair, I didn’t go back and looked it up to confirm but we talked about the solo on Colors from Black Pumas, not the one from the Oscars appearance. Regardless, both appearances were pretty dope imo and there’s no need to pick em to peaces

Edit: It really isn’t worth arguing about that. Music is subjective and everybody feels different about it. Slash is on tour and has released a hot single, he’s just about to release another record and played at the Oscars. Did with Ken and The Dandy Warholes some cool guest appearances. Maybe there’s another single coming in April before the album drops in May. All of this is very exciting and promising. A very positive time eventually after all this mixed feelings here with the release of The General and its AI video. I’d rather enjoy this time as it’s something temporary :lol:

With SMKCs next record at the latest, the mood here will change again :shrugs:

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Just to be fair, I didn’t go back and looked it up to confirm but we talked about the solo on Colors from Black Pumas, not the one from the Oscars appearance. Regardless, both appearances were pretty dope imo and there’s no need to pick em to peaces

Edit: It really isn’t worth arguing about that. Music is subjective and everybody feels different about it. Slash is on tour and has released a hot single, he’s just about to release another record and played at the Oscars. Did with Ken and The Dandy Warholes some cool guest appearances. Maybe there’s another single coming in April before the album drops in May. All of this is very exciting and promising. A very positive time eventually after all this mixed feelings here with the release of The General and its AI video. I’d rather enjoy this time as it’s something temporary :lol:

yeah I think both these performances are cool and Slash sounds great on both. it is what it is. he's not always on like he used to be imho, but even if you agree with that, what is Slash supposed to do? put his guitar down cause he's not as brilliant as he used to be or practice being more accurate when that's not what he wants to do? it's cool to disect music if that's what you want to do, but you can't change how a player sounds like. you always have a choice as a listener to accept it for what it is or just listen to Slash in the 80's/90's if his current playing bothers you so much.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Oh I like the solo on Colors, very tasteful and he doesn't overplay.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Oh I like the solo on Colors, very tasteful and he doesn't overplay.

Yeah, very tasteful is the best way to describe it. And with the right sense for the melody. A typical Slash solo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rovim said:

I guess you meant theory with the harmonic minor. Slash knows basic theory and a bunch of scales. his technique improved compared to when he was younger. 

the way he plays now doesn't have much to do with what he knows imo, it's just less inspired and maybe has something to do with the fact that he's sober now like he talked about. 

it's an easy solution to play faster and more notes when you don't have a clear idea on how to continue your musical direction when you're soloing, which sometimes Slash does now.

he doesn't lose direction all the time. I don't disagree that nowdays it's not as good as it was, he didn't stay at the level he was at his peak imo.

I think his aim is to still be a melodic player but it doesn't always happen and he said that nowdays sometimes he rushes live from excitement because he's not drinking anymore. could be true or he just doesn't feel it as much anymore most of the time like he used to for whatever reason.

I agree, I think sobriety has played a part. And I agree that you still see flashes of his old self come through these days, it's just frustrating to watch. I just can't comprehend how he doesn't see it himself. Maybe he really wants to have that Jimmy Page style for some reason. It just doesn't jive with his harder, faster music, as compared to Zeppelin.

18 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

LOL this is my favorite kind of response; attack the messenger, avoid the message. You obviously care, or you wouldn't have replied.

I guess that means you can't criticize Justin Bieber because he's more successful than you. You must accept that he is a good musician!

Pretty funny considering I was being accused of telling people they can't criticize without knowing music theory. Now I can't criticize without being famous?

Has Slash been nursing a bad case of jet lag since 2004?