Ryan Gosling ft. Slash and Mark Ronson Perform 'I'm Just Ken' at Oscars 2024

48 minutes ago, BluegrassBlues said:

I liked the Barbie movie and I'm Just Ken is a fun song, it was cool to see Slash play it. Loved Ryan's suit too :lol:

This.

Totally changed my view on this. Initially I was really upset that Slash was featured on this but then I saw the movie and got what it was about and now I love the way Slash makes it even cooler with his playing. 

He really as an eye for staying in the focus of the people (although I agree, that song with Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas Superbowl was not co cool).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

This.

Totally changed my view on this. Initially I was really upset that Slash was featured on this but then I saw the movie and got what it was about and now I love the way Slash makes it even cooler with his playing. 

He really as an eye for staying in the focus of the people (although I agree, that song with Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas Superbowl was not co cool).

Totally agree about Fergie, I know she is a huge fan, but that one was just kinda bad. I'm glad you liked the movie, I thought it should have gotten more recognition at the Oscars but that's just me 

1 hour ago, Amir said:

Fun movie, fun song, fun performance.

Ding, ding, ding🏆

53 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

It’s better than “The General”

By a country mile

18 hours ago, Chuerta86 said:

Slash is smart. I don't think him releasing the single on Friday was just coincidence. This will generate buzz due to Ryan, Barbie and the Oscar's. If rumors are true, tour announcements this week will be a good move!

Wish my favorite band would make smart moves. 

Amazing the difference in promotion and strategy with Slash vs GNR. If you miss that Slash is releasing something you are either actively avoiding it or have completely checked out... With gnr you could be an active listener and have no idea they've released anything recently...some could argue 20yrs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I will not be watching that.

I didn't even like the new single, let alone do I want to see him perform Barbie songs:facepalm:

I'm with you on this, it's cool he does something else resulting in him playing at the Oscars but it's not for me. And him performing with an actor dressed in shiny  pink ain't too rock n roll lol

• Haha 2

This solo has the least noodles of anything he's done in a while!

Seriously, it's melodically well constructed, not just a shredding wankfest. Where is this attention to his own music?

14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Pretty cool

He bends a lot and LPs suck at staying in tune 

He bent just as much in 1991-1993 but wasn't out of tune all the time then.

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

Slash also said that he presses really hard on the strings, that's a part of his playing style which makes a guitar go out of tune even more, especially a LP. 

Then he needs thicker strings or a lighter touch. There's really no excuse for a professional musician.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I will not be watching that.

I didn't even like the new single, let alone do I want to see him perform Barbie songs:facepalm:

It was a fun song from a good movie, it turned out pretty well

• Like 3

4 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

This solo has the least noodles of anything he's done in a while!

Seriously, it's melodically well constructed, not just a shredding wankfest. Where is this attention to his own music?

He bent just as much in 1991-1993 but wasn't out of tune all the time then.

Then he needs thicker strings or a lighter touch. There's really no excuse for a professional musician.

Watch his contribution to Black Pumas Colors, one of his most recent collaborations even if its 2 years since 

• Like 2

I just saw an article that went "Meet the guitar player who played with Ryan Gosling at the Oscars" and the subtitle read "The Guns N' Roses guitarist collects awards and praise since the beginning of his career".

What a smart move for Slash. This is how it's done. He just got exposure to a whole generation that barely knew him, right before the release of his new album.

This is what happens when you get real management and a competent team behind you, instead of your ex-housekeeper and her family.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I just saw an article that went "Meet the guitar player who played with Ryan Gosling at the Oscars" and the subtitle read "The Guns N' Roses guitarist collects awards and praise since the beginning of his career".

What a smart move for Slash. This is how it's done. He just got exposure to a whole generation that barely knew him, right before the release of his new album.

This is what happens when you get real management and a competent team behind you, instead of your ex-housekeeper and her family.

Can you share the link here?

I also really enjoyed the performance and it's been the most talked about part of the Oscars so far.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Can you share the link here?

I also really enjoyed the performance and it's been the most talked about part of the Oscars so far.

Sure, it's in Portuguese, though. But you can always use google translator:

https://revistaquem.globo.com/entretenimento/series-e-filmes/noticia/2024/03/quem-e-slash-o-guitarrista-que-tocou-com-ryan-gosling-no-oscar-2024.ghtml

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Yes, because Axl would surely do something like this if he had a different team around him. It's the team, not Axl. Yes, sure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, because Axl would surely do something like this if he had a different team around him. It's the team, not Axl. Yes, sure. 

You’re right. He wouldn’t. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cosmo said:

You’re right. He wouldn’t. 

That's a fundamental difference between Slash and Axl. Axl abhors certain publicity and would pay to not have to do certain things. Slash doesn't have that limitation, he has always been willing to do stuff, play with people, etc, if it helps his brand recognition.

• Like 3

Ha, I have basically no idea what’s going on there or why the whole thing seems so pompous and "big". I didn’t watch that movie and to date have no idea why it was also being connected with that war film (Oppenheimer?). Not that I care. I like being completely out of the loop sometimes, even if just for the reason you can then see things from the right perspective, if you know what I mean. 
Good for Slash to be seen though; I like when they boys are out there in the spotlight, doing something interesting. 
That’s my two cents anyway. Worthless, but they’re there! 

• Like 1