Ryan Gosling ft. Slash and Mark Ronson Perform 'I'm Just Ken' at Oscars 2024

23 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That's a fundamental difference between Slash and Axl. Axl abhors certain publicity and would pay to not have to do certain things. Slash doesn't have that limitation, he has always been willing to do stuff, play with people, etc, if it helps his brand recognition.

Axl attended the vmas in 2006 or 7 presenting to the killers. He also did that god awful Budweiser commercial. He isn't above doing what Slash does.

Also this argument of what is and isn't rock n roll... Come on🙄 grab yourself a sense of humour, the performance was funny and really well done regardless of liking the song.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Axl attended the vmas in 2006 or 7 presenting to the killers. He also did that god awful Budweiser commercial. He isn't above doing what Slash does.

There is a huge, and undisputed, quantitative difference.

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Also this argument of what is and isn't rock n roll... Come on🙄 grab yourself a sense of humour, the performance was funny and really well done regardless of liking the song.

What are you talking about? Was this even meant as a reply to me?

Great to see him out there on stage w/Ryan! People on Twitter commented on how Slash stuck to his guns and didn't wear any pink lol.  ( they liked it- peeps were positive)  :slash:

Edited by marlingrl03
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Great to see him out there on stage w/Ryan! People on Twitter commented on how Slash stuck to his guns and didn't wear any pink lol.  :slash:

They should be happy that he did this appearance at all. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

They should be happy that he did this appearance at all. :lol:

I guess I should have put that it wasn't a dig at all....they were like good for Slash! You rock that black in a sea of pink! :lol::headbang:

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:52 PM, Cosmo said:

I just saw an article that went "Meet the guitar player who played with Ryan Gosling at the Oscars" and the subtitle read "The Guns N' Roses guitarist collects awards and praise since the beginning of his career".

What a smart move for Slash. This is how it's done. He just got exposure to a whole generation that barely knew him, right before the release of his new album.

This is what happens when you get real management and a competent team behind you, instead of your ex-housekeeper and her family.

Those guys from the Guns N Roses band seems really  cool lads and have a nice 80s retro vibe. They should record an album, they could be big!!!

👀

Edited by Chuerta86

19 hours ago, Free Bird said:

No, he truly didn’t. Not more than he always did, even back in the day.

Yes, he did.

The note at 3:51 is early, the bend at 3:52 is flat, a note at 3:53 is behind the beat and then he goes completely out of time at 3:55 before doing that thing he does where he jumps to a note for the next chord way before it comes (in this case that big bend).

It really sours what was otherwise a nice solo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's sloppier sober than he ever was as a drinker.

Quite a cool appearance that I really wasn't expecting to see! Pretty decent solo too, though I prefer what he did in the movie version. Not really a fan of the tone though, this song was begging for a neck pickup solo with the tone rolled down (November Rain, Estranged, etc), not one which sounds like the treble knob was turned all the way up on the amp. 

Pity they turned down his guitar at the end when he really started to rip. Wish we could hear what he was playing! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Yes, he did.

The note at 3:51 is early, the bend at 3:52 is flat, a note at 3:53 is behind the beat and then he goes completely out of time at 3:55 before doing that thing he does where he jumps to a note for the next chord way before it comes (in this case that big bend).

It really sours what was otherwise a nice solo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's sloppier sober than he ever was as a drinker.

Back in the day I read things like he isn’t able to hit the notes when he starts doing the fast runs on the Nightrain outro and things like that. It was exactly the same sloppiness which made his sound and guitar playing unique. Slash was NEVER technically perfect and rock n roll was never meant to be perfect. If you wanna sterile guitar playing Buckethead might be the better choice instead of looking for the slightest technical inaccuracy in a great sounding guitar solo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Back in the day I read things like he isn’t able to hit the notes when he starts doing the fast runs on the Nightrain outro and things like that. It was exactly the same sloppiness which made his sound and guitar playing unique. Slash was NEVER technically perfect and rock n roll was never meant to be perfect. If you wanna sterile guitar playing Buckethead might be the better choice instead of looking for the slightest technical inaccuracy in a great sounding guitar solo.

Yeah, judging each second of a guitar solo individually is a bit embarrassing, lol.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2024 at 7:50 AM, SoulMonster said:

There is a huge, and undisputed, quantitative difference.

What are you talking about? Was this even meant as a reply to me?

I know Slash does a whole lot more of this stuff from Lenny/Michael to present day, my point was that Axl isn't against doing things. It's probably less about principles and more of not always receiving the opportunity. And of course sometimes the opportunity might be given but he actually just doesn't want to do it, which I'm sure even happened to Slash (maybe once)

The last part wasn't meant for you specifically, I just didn't want to make two different comments😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I'm sure there's fans of Buckethead that would dispute this to the hilt.

But all I will say is there's a difference between sterile and proficient, Bucket, Bumble, Guthrie etc who can play anything they record at any time. they practiced guitar in a different way to guys like Slash or Jimmy Page who aren't always able to fully capture the idea they lay down in the studio. Both styles are great. Sometimes I listen to the other side and think it needs a little more sloppiness and vice cersa

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

But all I will say is there's a difference between sterile and proficient, Bucket, Bumble, Guthrie etc who can play anything they record at any time. they practiced guitar in a different way to guys like Slash or Jimmy Page who aren't always able to fully capture the idea they lay down in the studio. Both styles are great. Sometimes I listen to the other side and think it needs a little more sloppiness and vice cersa

I don’t disagree with that at all and while sterile was maybe a little to harsh I’m pretty sure you know what I meant.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Nonsense. By that logic, any amateur who can barely play is "unique" and "rock and roll". The idea that rock and roll should be sloppy is one of the worst concepts that needs to die. There's nothing unique about being sloppy, that's as common as it gets.

There is nothing "slight" or technical about the things I pointed out. Those are some of the most basic foundations; staying on time for fucks sake. He was an entire quarter note early on one of those. That is MASSIVE, not "slight". Do you even play an instrument?

Point out the bum notes here, if he was just the same back in the day. Is this "sterile"?

I haven't seen a single show since 2001 where he was this smooth and in the pocket.

I dare you to compare a recent performance to that.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

In the '90s, Slash often improved on the studio recordings when playing live. Nowadays, that has flipped. I guess some people enjoy a disaster like Ritz '88, which even the band themselves think was a bad performance, though...

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Nonsense. By that logic, any amateur who can barely play is "unique" and "rock and roll". The idea that rock and roll should be sloppy is one of the worst concepts that needs to die. There's nothing unique about being sloppy, that's as common as it gets.

There is nothing "slight" or technical about the things I pointed out. Those are some of the most basic foundations; staying on time for fucks sake. He was an entire quarter note early on one of those. That is MASSIVE, not "slight". Do you even play an instrument?

Point out the bum notes here, if he was just the same back in the day. Is this "sterile"?

I haven't seen a single show since 2001 where he was this smooth and in the pocket.

It’s not really rock n roll to sit around watching YouTube videos and time stamping little inaccuracies. 

It’s also a bit bizarre to compare a video of Slash playing in his band, in their peak, in one of their career best performances to a quick cameo appearance at the Oscars where he flew in from Asia and probably had very limited time to actually prepare.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

So you are one of these guys thinking you have to be able to play an instrument to talk about music? Again, music isn’t about technique. I can listen to music without any musical backround and tell if I like what I hear or not. You seem to make some science out of it, dissipate it in it’s components and missing the whole. Have fun with that. I’ll continue to enjoy music the way I always did without over analyzing it. 
Congratulations for posting a Youtube video. There’s NOTHING in there that tells something about the performance we’re talking about.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

it's not that only one type of playing is the only good type. Hendrix was sloppy and Page was as well. sometimes you can call it loose, and those types of players are often adventerous in their playing. Robin is sloppy too. some think he can barely play. others praise his style of playing. 

Slash had a rare balance between tight and loose back in his peak. Now I agree it's different, maybe more mistakes. I thought this performance was great, but for me it's the overall vibe of the performance.

I also think Slash took what Jimmy Page was doing and made it tighter and added his own thing to it. If you like more accurate playing and it's one of the factors that is important for you, that's fine. but like EVH said, there are no rules. (Eddie wasn't really into Hendrix because he thought he was too sloppy, depends on what you prefer as a listener) look what Zeppelin achieved with Page and what Jimi did with his choice to throw caution to the wind and just play in the moment.

none of this shit is an excuse as there were players like Jeff Beck who had everything but sometimes, maybe often, he also crashed and burned in live performances cause he was pushing himself beyond what was comfortable to play.

a big part of guitar playing in the genre of blues for example, the style and personality of it is the little imperfections when a player bends a string, you can call it out of tune and when you're playing isn't on time, a little behind or a little ahead, that also gives it its own thing. sometimes its sounds bad, but you don't have to play an instrument to know what you like and what you just don't give a fuck enough about if at all for it to ruin the experience for you.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

On 3/11/2024 at 5:34 AM, Chuerta86 said:

Slash is smart. I don't think him releasing the single on Friday was just coincidence. This will generate buzz due to Ryan, Barbie and the Oscar's. If rumors are true, tour announcements this week will be a good move!

Wish my favorite band would make smart moves. 

over 10 million views on Youtube in just one week, if you combine the main videos of the Ken performance and add Killing Floor. Not bad. That’s good promo.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 12:48 AM, jacdaniel said:

It’s not really rock n roll to sit around watching YouTube videos and time stamping little inaccuracies. 

It’s also a bit bizarre to compare a video of Slash playing in his band, in their peak, in one of their career best performances to a quick cameo appearance at the Oscars where he flew in from Asia and probably had very limited time to actually prepare.

Rock and roll is when you don't know how to play your instrument because you never sat down and analyzed music?

Jesus Christ, I can't stand this attitude.

There's no reason Slash can't slow down and play with a little more thought. It's not that his ability to play has deteriorated.

So you are one of these guys thinking you have to be able to play an instrument to talk about music?

Did I say that? No. You tried to criticize my technical analysis. If you have no knowledge, don't wade into that discussion. I don't tell my mechanic that the head gasket failing is a "slight technical quibble" and then when he questions my mechanical knowledge, play the victim and say "Oh you think I need an engineering degree to talk about cars?". Give me a break.

On 3/15/2024 at 1:35 AM, Free Bird said:

Again, music isn’t about technique. I can listen to music without any musical backround and tell if I like what I hear or not. You seem to make some science out of it, dissipate it in it’s components and missing the whole. Have fun with that. I’ll continue to enjoy music the way I always did without over analyzing it. 
Congratulations for posting a Youtube video. There’s NOTHING in there that tells something about the performance we’re talking about.

"MUSIC ISN'T ABOUT TECHNIQUE"!

Holy shit, why am I even bothering here? If you actually believe that, you should be listening to punk bands who take pride in not knowing how to play their instruments. Guns N Roses are a very technically adept band, always have been.

Congratulations on dodging the point and having no response to my actual argument.