Ryan Gosling ft. Slash and Mark Ronson Perform 'I'm Just Ken' at Oscars 2024

5 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I just saw an article that went "Meet the guitar player who played with Ryan Gosling at the Oscars" and the subtitle read "The Guns N' Roses guitarist collects awards and praise since the beginning of his career".

What a smart move for Slash. This is how it's done. He just got exposure to a whole generation that barely knew him, right before the release of his new album.

This is what happens when you get real management and a competent team behind you, instead of your ex-housekeeper and her family.

This article made me feel very old though. 

---

I think you guys should not take things that serious. It was just a fun thing to do. Even Martin Scorcese was dancing and smiling during the performance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chinese stew said:

If Slash thinks Myles Kennedy has a good voice then this doesn't surprise me at all.

What, that he is playing on a fun tune from a good movie that is pretty generally loved?   I am not sure what the issue is here or how we can connect subjective dislike of Myles' voice to the Ken song :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Watch his contribution to Black Pumas Colors, one of his most recent collaborations even if its 2 years since 

Yeah, that one was pretty good. Seemed like he was using a fuzz pedal, so it didn't have his usual weak tone. But he did still do that thing where he rushes the tempo, though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Yeah, that one was pretty good. Seemed like he was using a fuzz pedal, so it didn't have his usual weak tone. But he did still do that thing where he rushes the tempo, though.

No, he truly didn’t. Not more than he always did, even back in the day.

4 hours ago, Naupis said:

Slash is pushing 60 (it seems wrong to even type that) but he is still seen as modern and relevant enough to be the guy a billion dollar movie franchise went to to record for the film.

People can't begin to understand what a compliment it is to him and a testament to his effort to make a point of never allowing himself to be pigeon holed as just a hard rock guitarist. 

As a fan of the guy if he hadn't have continued to work at putting himself out there alot of the stuff we've been able to enjoy post Guns break up likely never happens. The "Slash" business allows him to do stuff that to your normal 80's rock guitarist can't because it's not commercially viable. 

The fact that he made out the other side of the Grunge movement that laid waste to 80's rock 30 years ago to still be in demand and relevant 30 years later is crazy. 

I hadn't even realized until after the hubaloo of that performance that he was the guy who recorded it in the first place, I thought they just brought him in to do the over the top live performance. He will undoubtedly be getting more future business as his contributions went kind of well.  

I think Slash is an icon that will become a legend. part of it is his unique talent and image and the other part is always staying relevant in pop culture.

things like the I'm Just Ken collaboration and the oscars performance with Ryan Gosling, guitar hero, being like a semi- session musician on the side and always working and being open to almost anything he can relate to is smart and it paid off big time for him imo. 

Scott talked about how he appreciated how Slash managed to grow his brand name to such an extent or something like that.

when you're portrayed in such a way Slash did in South Park, you know you did something right. He's more relevant than Gn'R is imo and it's like Metallica's master of puppets in Stranger Things for example. Slash's influence crosses generations which is the highest level of making it as an artist/musician in the industry.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WhazUp said:

What, that he is playing on a fun tune from a good movie that is pretty generally loved?   I am not sure what the issue is here or how we can connect subjective dislike of Myles' voice to the Ken song :lol:

They both suck ass.

I think he actually cemented his legacy by playing with Michael Jackson. He showed he wasn't just a unique guitarist of a world-famous junkie rock band but also an icon who can play in other music worlds as well. Plus being known as an overall nice fella and distinguishable by the top hat, this guy is accepted and praised by pretty much anyone. When Axl went nuts back in the day, he was opposing (kinda mocking) him, doing his own thing, chatting in late-night shows, gathering sympathy from everyone. There's literally nothing negative to find about this guy. And everybody has heard of Sweet Child O' Mine. So there you go. 
He's a beast live, too. 

• Like 4