Unreleased Steven Wilson Appetite Atmos Remix

Apologies if this is old news (in which case - mods feel free to move / delete this) but it was new news to me and a quick search couldn't find anything on this topic.

Steven Wilson said on Insta today that he remixed AFD in Atmos but it will never be released as the band decided they don't like Atmos.

I new about his UYI work but not AFD.

Damn shame. I'd love to hear that. SW is a legend musically and his mixes are normally outstanding.

Dude it's crazy they refused it. Especially after all that Q-sound stuff in the 90's. 

I thought maybe its because it would cost them more money to release it somehow? A business decision? Deny the ATMOS and release The General... :monkey:

I wanted it for the isolated guitar stems -- when those came out from the AFD 5.1 mix it was a revelation. That and the Ritz 91 are my two GNR diamonds.   

Edited by Ant000
  • Like 1

That's genuinely the first I've heard of this.

So he did AFD and they decided to ditch it, then they got him back for UYI and did exactly the same? That's utterly bonkers. 

I read Wilson saying that he was baffled by them rejecting UYI but that they paid him and that's all he knew of the matter. 

9 hours ago, allwaystired said:

That's genuinely the first I've heard of this.

So he did AFD and they decided to ditch it, then they got him back for UYI and did exactly the same? That's utterly bonkers. 

I read Wilson saying that he was baffled by them rejecting UYI but that they paid him and that's all he knew of the matter. 

Seems like it. Or maybe he did AFD and UYI at the same time? He has a podcast with his No-Man band partner and they recorded a trail for it in instagram - in the trail he said how remixing AFD got him into Guns N Roses and he now really likes the album, but the band rejected Atmos outright.

6 hours ago, Mendez said:

Theres Atmos mixes on Amazon Music (Unlimited?l of SCOM and WTTJ for those interested

Good to know thanks!

Yeah WTTJ and SCOM Atmos mixes have been available for a while at streaming services. Besides Amazon Music, Tidal and Apple Music also has those. I think they were released when the remastered version of Appetite box set came, I think, and on the bluray there's Dolby HD and DTS HD 5.1 mixes of the album. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Atmos/360° mixes in general. I usually listened them once or twice and then end up listening the original stereo version instead. I like Atmos with movies but with music they seem bit gimmicky. More of an curiosity than the real deal.

• Like 1

Steven Wilson is not only one of the greatest prog rock musicians of the last 30 years, he is a brilliant remixer both in spatial audio and stereo (his remixes of the Yes and Jethro Tull catalogue are stellar)

It is baffling GNR wouldn't want another amazing representation of their music out there.  Atmos is pretty popular right now and it would have definitely gotten a lot of people to check out AFD and the Illusions even more

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Seems like it. Or maybe he did AFD and UYI at the same time? He has a podcast with his No-Man band partner and they recorded a trail for it in instagram - in the trail he said how remixing AFD got him into Guns N Roses and he now really likes the album, but the band rejected Atmos outright.

Good to know thanks!

You'd have thought the AFD mix would have been done at the time of the box set release though, for inclusion with that? My guess is it would have been intended to go on the Blu-Ray disc in that. 

2 hours ago, tboneman said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Atmos/360° mixes in general. I usually listened them once or twice and then end up listening the original stereo version instead. I like Atmos with movies but with music they seem bit gimmicky. More of an curiosity than the real deal.

Couldn't agree more. I haven't heard an Atmos mix that improves any song. They're kind of novelties to listen to, but I haven't found any that I prefer over OG or other alternative mixes.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 8:41 PM, ToonGuns said:

Apologies if this is old news (in which case - mods feel free to move / delete this) but it was new news to me and a quick search couldn't find anything on this topic.

Steven Wilson said on Insta today that he remixed AFD in Atmos but it will never be released as the band decided they don't like Atmos.

I new about his UYI work but not AFD.

Damn shame. I'd love to hear that. SW is a legend musically and his mixes are normally outstanding.

So weird....if they got him to do Appetite for probably the big box in 2018, then didn't like it and shelf'd it, why the fuck did they get him to do UYI years later too, to repeat the hoarding... also not to release....classic Guns memory lapse....*Oh Shit! We just wasted $$$....*Axl, remember we don't like that ATMOS shir*

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

So weird....if they got him to do Appetite for probably the big box in 2018, then didn't like it and shelf'd it, why the fuck did they get him to do UYI years later too, to repeat the hoarding... also not to release....classic Guns memory lapse....*Oh Shit! We just wasted $$$....*Axl, remember we don't like that ATMOS shir*

Probably explains why they couldn't pay Kat...

• Haha 3