Rollingstone.com thinks November 21st is the date!

slashplay

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

The only ones who seem to think the Jay-Z release would somehow affect GNR album sales are the young kids whose frighteningly-limited musical knowledge is based solely on MTV.

Some of you don't seem to get it. Jay-Z won't affect GNR's sales, but he will affect the amount of press coverage and publicity they get because he will finish with the Billboard #1 album, and all of the news releases will be talking about his triumphant return instead of Axls.

Instead of GNR having the #1 album in the country and being the center of attention in the music world, they will be #2 and playing second fiddle to Jay's big comeback.

How does the above scenario benefit GNR in any way?

Im thinking youre the one who isnt getting it, so what if GNR arent the number 1 band around, and you seem to think that if Jay-Z is the number one artist, hell get all the publicity around, but what youre forgetting is how long of a delay there has been on this album, when its realeased, everyone will listen to it, and thats all that matters.

Who the fuck cares about this Jay-Z thing, as long as CD is out I dont give a fuck when its realeased.

Agreed.

The only ones who seem to think the Jay-Z release would somehow affect GNR album sales are the young kids whose frighteningly-limited musical knowledge is based solely on MTV. :rolleyes:

I thought he was "retired" :unsure:

Guns 'confirm' "Chinese Democracy"

(Friday October 06, 2006 05:20 PM)

The new Guns 'N Roses album will be released next month, it has been claimed.

"Chinese Democracy" has been mooted for around a decade by Axl Rose, the only surviving member of the band since their days of rock'n'roll world domination.

However with the group recently completing a relatively successful and trouble-free European tour and scheduling more dates in the US, new recordings also seem imminent.

According to claims in Rolling Stone in the US this week, "Chinese Democracy" has officially been scheduled for an American release date of November 21.

Earlier in the week, a cryptic statement from the group backed up such speculation, insisting "there are 13 Tuesdays left between now and the end of the year".

There has so far been no official confirmation on these reports.

:rofl-lol::lol: Did RS ever say anything being "official" ? :huh:

Kannon.

Agreed.

The only ones who seem to think the Jay-Z release would somehow affect GNR album sales are the young kids whose frighteningly-limited musical knowledge is based solely on MTV.

Some of you don't seem to get it. Jay-Z won't affect GNR's sales, but he will affect the amount of press coverage and publicity they get because he will finish with the Billboard #1 album, and all of the news releases will be talking about his triumphant return instead of Axls.

Instead of GNR having the #1 album in the country and being the center of attention in the music world, they will be #2 and playing second fiddle to Jay's big comeback.

While that is true, I can almost guarantee that CD will sell more than whatever crap Jay-Z puts out. These rappers nowadays all start with strong sales and then completely fall off to finish around 2 million albums sold (and then they BRAG like hell about it). CD will sell at least 3 million in the U.S. alone, and I'm quite sure GN'R has a much larger fanbase outside the U.S. than Jay-Z. I mean heck, Greatest Hits has sold 3 million in the U.S. alone. You rarely see rappers do that nowadays. The last one to easily do it was 50 Cent with "Get Rich or Die Tryin" but that was because he had like 5 kickass singles on that album. Since then, rap has become ridiculously frontloaded in terms of sales because most rappers focus on just getting one hit single and that gets them a huge start but overall their sales are unimpressive in my opinion.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Agreed.

Actually - you don't seem to understand that these are two entirely different genres of music, and publicity/sales surrounding one have nothing to do with the other. One targets a certain musical audience while the second targets another.

To offer an analogy: If sales of a new model of Volvo suddenly skyrocketed - they would have no impact whatsoever on sales of the latest Ferrari. Yes, they're both cars, but they target different buyers.

Agreed.

Actually - you don't seem to understand that these are two entirely different genres of music, and publicity/sales surrounding one have nothing to do with the other. One targets a certain musical audience while the second targets another.

To offer an analogy: If sales of a new model of Volvo suddenly skyrocketed - they would have no impact whatsoever on sales of the latest Ferrari. Yes, they're both cars, but they target different buyers.

to right... it is hard to come buy people who like two totally opposite music styles

well shit in my grandmothers mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! could it be that we're finally gonna get this motherfucker???? :):):) sales r sales, they'll happen when they happen, at least lets hear the bastard first!!

Edited by frankwhite

If true it'll make an amazing early birthday present as it's my birthday 9 days later.

Agreed.

Great response madison.

Agreed.

to right... it is hard to come buy people who like two totally opposite music styles

Yes, people listen to different styles of music. But the people who are first in line to buy the latest rap album are not usually the rockers - and vice versa. A rock fan wouldn't have a difficult dilemma choosing between the latest hip hop album and the latest rock album.

Do oasis and u2 release there best of albums around that time as well?

Oasis release theirs on the 14th. Which, in the UK, is going to be a big album. Its limited edition, so most sales will be in the first 2 weeks. This could have a slight affect on GNR sales, but not enough to make Axl and Co changed their "planned" release date.

As for U2 - well, who gives a shit really.

Agreed.

Yes, people listen to different styles of music. But the people who are first in line to buy the latest rap album are not usually the rockers - and vice versa. A rock fan wouldn't have a difficult dilemma choosing between the latest hip hop album and the latest rock album.

Yes, but Madison - for the media to even semi-accept this album it NEEDS to debut at #1. If it finishes at even #2 (which it will if it goes up against Jay-Z - facts are facts) then the media will say how much of a failure it is, how much it sucks, how there's no way in hell it should have taken 13 years to record, etc. - whereas if it debuts at #1, at least its more presentable, and in a way it justifies the time it took to record it.

Jay-Z *WILL* beat GN'R in first week sales if it goes head to head.

One thing I thought of. Can't GN'R management ensure GN'R's week 1 totals by just buying themselves a whole shitload of CDs? The money would just go back into their own coffers, and they could re-sell those discs to retail later on. It would probably be hard to keep this scheme under wraps though.

Anyways, as I said before, first week sales are not as big a deal as some are making it out to be. I'm trying to find how AI did it's first week but I haven't had any luck so far. I did find this:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/year...s&year=2005

It trailed Eminem and 50 Cent for 2005 sales. AI was released in January, so it had a full year to compete. It wasn't first, and yet, it still got so much hype and praise. You don't have to finish first. Big sales are big sales, whether you are first, second, or third. What's more important for GN'R is, is this album going to be good? Will it live up to GN'R's lofty standards. Will it have strong sales that can be sustained for many months? That is the true test for an album. Nobody will give a shit anymore about first week sales after that week is over.

What if the album is sluggish out of the gate, and then sales spike after the second single becomes a huge hit? Was the album a failure in that case? Of course not. It's a silly argument.

Edited by KBear

Yes, but Madison - for the media to even semi-accept this album it NEEDS to debut at #1. If it finishes at even #2 (which it will if it goes up against Jay-Z - facts are facts) then the media will say how much of a failure it is, how much it sucks, how there's no way in hell it should have taken 13 years to record, etc. - whereas if it debuts at #1, at least its more presentable, and in a way it justifies the time it took to record it.

Jay-Z *WILL* beat GN'R in first week sales if it goes head to head.

An album doesn't have to hit number one on Billboard the first week in order to get press. That's ridiculous. And again - no knowledgeable music journalist is going to be comparing Jay-Z's album sales with GNR's, and draw a conclusion. It would make no sense.

The album will be judged and evaluated as a rock album - not as a hip hop album. I agree it has some high standards to meet, given the length of time it's taken to get done. But its critical success will be based on its merit as a rock album, so Jay-Z's record sales have no bearing whatsoever.

If you recall - AFD wasn't a big hit at all when it was first released. In fact, I think it was re-released and took almost a year before it fully caught on. Why? Because GNR wasn't a flavor-of-the-month band playing the latest popular music. It was setting a new standard and marked a shift back to rock.

One thing I thought of. Can't GN'R management ensure GN'R's week 1 totals by just buying themselves a whole shitload of CDs? The money would just go back into their own coffers, and they could re-sell those discs to retail later on. It would probably be hard to keep this scheme under wraps though.

Don't all the record companies do this? I always figured so, at least for the more important releases.

I dont think Jay-Z would effect GNR sales much, if at all. But I do agree with some others that there would have to be some marginal benefit to GNR if singled out as having the #1 record. It's just more positive publicity and would have to sooth Axl's and the band's ego. That's not at all to say the album can't be a success without the #1 slot.

How big the album eventually gets, beyond the diehards buying the first few weeks, is going to depend almost entirely upon the success of the first few singles...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I've just talked to God:

http://www.titane.ca/concordia/dfar251/igod/main.html

Me:

when does guns n roses release chinese democracy?

God:

Suppose I said never?

Me:

dont say that

God:

" Suppose I said never?"? Do not say it?

Me:

no say this year

God:

Are you serious? " this year".

Me:

yes

God:

It's all good.

Me:

do you really mean never?

God:

For real. Yes, that's what I mean, isn't it clear?

Me:

ok, sorry

God:

There's no need to apologize. It goes without saying.

Me:

but how is axl?

God:

Fine as far as I know.

Hmmm I hope he's not right about that

I've just talked to God:

http://www.titane.ca/concordia/dfar251/igod/main.html

Me:

when does guns n roses release chinese democracy?

God:

Suppose I said never?

Me:

dont say that

God:

" Suppose I said never?"? Do not say it?

Me:

no say this year

God:

Are you serious? " this year".

Me:

yes

God:

It's all good.

Me:

do you really mean never?

God:

For real. Yes, that's what I mean, isn't it clear?

Me:

ok, sorry

God:

There's no need to apologize. It goes without saying.

Me:

but how is axl?

God:

Fine as far as I know.

Hmmm I hope he's not right about that

:rofl-lol: thats good