Rollingstone.com thinks November 21st is the date!

slashplay

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So has this rumor been confirmed or denied by the band/managemen at all?

It was denied over at HTGTH.

He asked my band/management :rolleyes: not a fan site. :book:

Kannon.

Merck denied the rumor to Jarmo over at HTGTH. I'm pretty sure that counts as management. :rolleyes:

Edited by IndiannaRose

So has this rumor been confirmed or denied by the band/managemen at all?

It was denied over at HTGTH.

He asked my band/management :rolleyes: not a fan site. :book:

Kannon.

Merck denied the rumor to Jarmo over at HTGTH. I'm pretty sure that counts as management. :rolleyes:

Well aren't you a good "reporter'' :rolleyes:

But tell your boy to write the whole story instead of just saying a website denied it. ;)

Kannon.

"What MTV focuses on?" ... Are you kidding? Sorry dude, but I don't know anybody - young or old - who thinks MTV is the credible music channel it once was. It no longer makes and breaks trends -- it just follows the money and fills most of its time slots with those brain-dead reality shows that nobody in the music world cares about. The channel spends about 10% of its time on music - and the rest of the time following around horny teenagers in a house. That's not music.

Nobody ever said MTV was credible anymore, but yes it is still impacts trends greatly. Did you see all those shitty rock bands at the VMAs? All of them are horrible, but got that MTV push and now are all over kids' myspace pages. MTV is experts on making the public like things, shitty or otherwise. They played GNR in the early 90s, but did you notice some of the other shit they were playing during that period?? MTV has played shitty crap and made people like it for decades now. People buy into it and it hasnt changed. The ratings are still high, kids still watch. MTV may not be a trend setter, but it is a heavy heavy influence.

One of the reasons for this hiphop culture is heavy MTV support. 50 Cent and Eminem benefitted greatly from MTV. N'Sync would not exist without MTV.

Everything goes in cycles. Rock will return - with the right album from the right band at the right time. A few years ago, I thought we'd never see the end of those God-awful boy/girl bands -- but lo and behold - that cycle finally died a painful death.

Justin Timberlake's album is the highest selling album of the year. The teen pop era moves on, the record companies have simply shifted their focus to solo performers over groups, and have some boybands cleverly disguised as rock bands. Girl bands are now disguised as R&B/Vogue bands, aka Pussycat Dolls. It was MTV and the record companies' decisions to shift from pure boybands....the genre still has a legion of followers. If Britney came out with an album tomorrow, it'd be #1.

Hiphop, on the other hand, is here to stay. I dont like it any more than you do, but its gone beyond a simple music genre to become a culture all its own. It's not going anywhere for decades.

Let me guess - your friends' entire musical knowledge - like yours - is based on MTV and its teen reality shows? Sorry - just wondering.

I said that I visited a high school and most kids barely knew what "GNR" was. It was a small sampling that I stated as a supporting example.

I don't consider being "mainstream" to necessarily be a good thing.

It's the artists who bring a different sound and different edge to the table that will grab the spotlight and set trends - not the flavor-of-the-month bands who spew out that same crap over and over because it seems to sell right now.

Mainstream is not a good thing....its the ONLY thing when you have $13 million invested in an album with hungry shareholders waiting.

Au contraire - you have to start with a segment that you know will get behind the music and create a buzz - and those are the rockers. You can't just jump into the hip hop scene and expect them to suddenly rally behind rock. It doesn't work that way. So you create a buzz by targeting the ones you know are hungry for rock - and expanding from there. If you try to be all things to all people all at once, you'll wind up with nobody.

Why do you keep trying to segment music listeners so distinctly? Most people I know who listen to hiphop listen to rock also. You are speaking with a gang mentality, a "us vs. them", or "rock vs. rap", when its not like that at all. Most people, the general public, will listen to pretty much anything that is catchy. You cannot be everything to everybody, but you should be trying to be a lot to most. Eliminate as many constraints as possible as to who your customers are and try to reach out to multiple segments.

It's not about reaching out to hungry rock fans who already know they want it.....it's about reaching out to people WHO DON'T KNOW THEY WANT IT YET. That's proper promotion.

And as much as you guys may not want to hear this, in promotion one of the MAJOR things to avoid is to listen to lead users. "Lead users" refers to the geeks of your product, the GNR fanboys who know everything about the band and spand all day talking about it in their room full of Axl posters. Sure, listening to some feedback and needs from this segment can be useful, but never let these people (us) influence the final product. Why? Because geeks and fanboys do not represent the average rock listener and listening too much to them will only result in an album with limited appeal. Universal requires a return on its $13 million investment. It's not gonna get it with a bunch of aging fanboys.

If you recall - AFD wasn't a big hit at all when it was first released. In fact, I think it was re-released and took almost a year before it fully caught on. Why? Because GNR wasn't a flavor-of-the-month band playing the latest popular music. It was setting a new standard and marked a shift back to rock.

yea i think the only way people started hearing and knowing who guns n roses were was because they were the opening band for aeorsmith.

If you recall - AFD wasn't a big hit at all when it was first released. In fact, I think it was re-released and took almost a year before it fully caught on. Why? Because GNR wasn't a flavor-of-the-month band playing the latest popular music. It was setting a new standard and marked a shift back to rock.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges. GNR releasing an unknown album in 1987 as an unknown band is a completely different ballgame than GNR releasing an album in 2006 with the current expectations associated with a GNR release. They will not be given that opportunity to have a slow burn up the charts, as the product as a whole will be viewed as a success/failure based on the initial response.

Microsoft releasing its first operating system 20 some odd years ago is not anything like them releasing a new one today. There is now an expectation that did not exist when the first one was released a virtually unknown company. People aren't going to wait a year to determine whether Vista is a success, they will make that determination after a few uses. You now have an expectation of what you think the operating system should be like, and if it doesn't meet them you are not going to have a favorable view of it and recommend others to get it.

In much the same vein the general public now has an expectation of what/how a GNR record should sound and perform based on past experience with the product, and will not be afforded the same slow burn Appetite was as an unknown product. If it doesn't impress immediately, the album is going to tank as people will think it is a failure and not give it a chance. That is why the initial buzz and need for positive press is so vital. They have the legacy of Appetite to live up to, and anything short of immediate acceptance will tank the album.

Mainstream is not a good thing....its the ONLY thing when you have $13 million invested in an album with hungry shareholders waiting...

Universal requires a return on its $13 million investment. It's not gonna get it with a bunch of aging fanboys.

Technically it's not $13 million just for CD. That $13 million was for the CD sessions. Axl says there's 3 albums of material, so I'd say that they've spent around $4-5 million on CD by itself once you split it evenly amongst each album. Now, if Axl doesn't release the 2 follow-ups, then it would be a $13 million investment on CD by itself. And of course, if the worst should happen and he doesn't even release CD, then that's a $13 million sunk cost for Universal/Geffen.

Edited by GNRfan2008

I've just talked to God:

http://www.titane.ca/concordia/dfar251/igod/main.html

Me:

when does guns n roses release chinese democracy?

God:

Suppose I said never?

Me:

dont say that

God:

" Suppose I said never?"? Do not say it?

Me:

no say this year

God:

Are you serious? " this year".

Me:

yes

God:

It's all good.

Me:

do you really mean never?

God:

For real. Yes, that's what I mean, isn't it clear?

Me:

ok, sorry

God:

There's no need to apologize. It goes without saying.

Me:

but how is axl?

God:

Fine as far as I know.

Hmmm I hope he's not right about that

I don't think God is into music - my conversation went:

Me:

will chinese democracy be out on nov 21st 2006?

God:

Probably not.

Me:

will it be out before xmas 2006

God:

It usually does, doesn't it?

Me:

no

God:

Are you serious?

Me:

always

God:

Not that often.

Me:

do you like gnr

God:

I like science fiction. I like wine and bread.

Me:

do you know axl rose

God:

No, tell me about him, her or it.

So i think God in this case doesn't have a grasp of all the facts so fingers crossed still for November!

**standing in the record store**

hmmmmm,which one should I buy...Supernova,or Guns N Roses

:rolleyes:

Dude, did you even get my point?

All the teens are going to go with Supernova.

yep,I got your point

I happen to know that not all the teens will go with Supernova.

I have faith in CD sales...it's going to do just fine. ;)

:P *is a 'teen'* If it did get released the same day, I would buy the Gn'R album rock3 Supernova can wait for my money xD

Edited by Yassim