The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

I love GSP but Penn will destroy him

I doubt that. GSP beat him the last time they fought. Then again it was his cardio that let BJ down in that fight and that's something he seems to have improved upon. He could beat GSP but I really doubt he'll destroy him. GSP is looking phenomenal at the minute. Should be a very close fight.

I would have GSP just above BJ in terms of best pound for pound fighters in the world.

GSP looked unbeatable against a super tough Jon Fitch. I remember Fitch beating Diego Sanchez pretty handidly. The only way anyone is beating GSP is with a timely knockout(like Serra's lucky ass did) because he does drop his hands.

Penn has the beating of him , look how he destroyed Joe Stevens

True, but Penn would have to come up to 170 to fight GSP. Joe Stevenson at 155 doesn't have the strength behind his punches that GSP does. Besides, GSP would also destroy Stevenson, so I don't think that's a fair measuring stick.

GSP looked unbeatable against a super tough Jon Fitch. I remember Fitch beating Diego Sanchez pretty handidly. The only way anyone is beating GSP is with a timely knockout(like Serra's lucky ass did) because he does drop his hands.

True, but Penn would have to come up to 170 to fight GSP.

Penn's fought at 170. He dropped to 155 after his loss to Matt Hughes. Remember, he was welterweight champ before ( he choked out Matt Hughes). After he won the title, he left UFC for awhile.

I think he does better at lightweight,imo.

Edited by tat2d1

True, but Penn would have to come up to 170 to fight GSP. Joe Stevenson at 155 doesn't have the strength behind his punches that GSP does. Besides, GSP would also destroy Stevenson, so I don't think that's a fair measuring stick.

I would really disagree RK, GSP is about game plans and speed not punching power, i think Penn would have to be far more concerned with the speed of GSP than the power.Pen has power and speed.

I do agree that its an un-even comparison though, don't get me wrong i love GSP and im a big fan of what he brings to the cage but i just don't think he can beat this Penn, he's so much better than 6/7 years ago.

he's so much better than 6/7 years ago.

Very true. I think GSP will still have the edge power wise though considering he's a natural 170 pounder.

It looks like that fight will happen in December now.

Indeed. If the Shogun v Rampage fight that it also rumoured for December comes together then that could be one hell of a card.

I would really disagree RK, GSP is about game plans and speed not punching power, i think Penn would have to be far more concerned with the speed of GSP than the power.Pen has power and speed.

I do agree that its an un-even comparison though, don't get me wrong i love GSP and im a big fan of what he brings to the cage but i just don't think he can beat this Penn, he's so much better than 6/7 years ago.

Penn has power?? Really? I think his power is average at best; he just lands more punches than anyone else because of his superior dexterity and ability to execute his strategy. Penn at 170 will not be as fast and he'll be eating jabs from GSP all night. Plus GSP at 170 will be far faster than Penn.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll admit that I do despise Penn. True, Penn is far better than he was 6 years ago, but a big part of that is that he dropped to 155 and didn't have to carry around an extra 15 pounds during fights. I just don't think he could beat GSP at 170. Penn could probably beat everyone else at 170, but not GSP. The good news is that we'll actually get this settled for real when they fight! :)

he's so much better than 6/7 years ago.

Very true. I think GSP will still have the edge power wise though considering he's a natural 170 pounder.

It looks like that fight will happen in December now.

Indeed. If the Shogun v Rampage fight that it also rumoured for December comes together then that could be one hell of a card.

Yeah, I think the December UFC card is always the best of the year.

Looks like things are getting worse for Rampage. His accident victim has had a miscarriage now ( I smell a BIG lawsuit coming):

Looks like things are about to get even worse for former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. From The Daily Pilot:

A Huntington Beach woman who was more than 16 weeks pregnant and who police said was injured in a hit-and-run crash with mixed martial artist Quinton “Rampage” Jackson on the 55 Freeway two weeks ago has had a miscarriage, her fiance said Friday.

Holli Griggs, 38, was driving her 2007 Cadillac Escalade in the left lane on the southbound 55 Freeway just south of Bay Street on July 15 when Jackson’s gray-and-green pick-up truck sideswiped her as he drove along the median lane at about 45 mph, California Highway Patrol officials said.

Prosecutors have yet to file charges against Jackson, a former light heavyweight champion for the Ultimate Fighting Championship who remains free on $25,000 bail. Prosecutors would not comment on any potential charges due to Griggs’ miscarriage.

“Our office will make sure we take as much time as necessary to make a proper filing decision and including all evidence and medical information to make sure any charges that are filed are fair and accurate,” Dist. Atty. spokeswoman Farrah Emami said.

I bet this couple will sue Rampage, saying the accident caused the miscarriage, etc....

If Brock keeps training hard, he'll only get better. This was only his 3rd professional fight. I'd like to see how well some of you would do in your 3rd fight. I'd like to see Brock vs. Cheick Kongo next. Kongo will probably take it to Brock, but I think it'd be a good fight.

I can't wait for a GSP/Penn fight. That should be a phenomenal fight.

Any thought on Liddell/Evans? My money's on the ice man.

I thought Brock dominated Herring. He may be cocky, he may still be learning the trade - but when he keeps training at it, he will be a force. Kongo would be a good match, but too great a match at this time in my opinion. Would still be a brutal fight. Brock just has to get more to him than ground and pound. They say he does, but he ain't showing it. Fair play, he wants to win in style, but lock in a freakin' submission y'know?

GSP/Penn would be class, I would tip GSP to take that though, he keeps getting better and better.

Liddell to take that all the way. Huge fan, and I just think he'll sink him with a massive right.

*Edit- All in all, I really enjoyed the card - good mix tbh.

Interesting video of Fedor on Brock/Dana: http://www.mmachump.com/2008/08/fedor-on-brock-lesnar/

Edited by The Sandman

Unless Shamrock can take Slice down to the ground and get a submission, he's going to get destroyed.

The part in that article that I liked is that the UFC is trying to put together Lesnar vs. Kongo for as soon as November!

Whatever happened to Lesnar fighting Mark Coleman? Why'd Heath Herring have to step up instead?

Unless Shamrock can take Slice down to the ground and get a submission, he's going to get destroyed.

The part in that article that I liked is that the UFC is trying to put together Lesnar vs. Kongo for as soon as November!

Whatever happened to Lesnar fighting Mark Coleman? Why'd Heath Herring have to step up instead?

Coleman got injured. That piece of news was pretty exciting to hear because I was torn in that fight. For one, I really want to see Brock do well in MMA, but secondly, I love Coleman and didn't want to see him either a) beat lesnar, or B ) lose. Kimbo/Shammy should be good.

Kimbo/Butterbean would be awesome. I saw Butterbean fight in Pride in 2006 and totally thought he was going to have his ass handed to him. I was dead wrong.

Edited by Mike from Sharkys

Rogers calls out Kimbo, shreds Shamrock

Brett Rogers is definitely not a company man. EliteXC passed over 'The Grim' to give 44-year old Ken Shamrock the next shot at Kimbo Slice. That had Rogers steaming mad when he and his handlers decided to release a statement to the Five Ounces of Pain blog.

I don't think Rogers will be doing a media tour on behalf of the promotion to pimp the Oct. 4 CBS show after this diatribe.

Rogers feels cheated:

"As for Oct 4th; that was our spot. Shamrock with his name and giant ego butted in line to get a slice of Kevin. At 103 years of age Ken usurped our rightful place against the YouTube champ. Our sincerest hope is that Ken whips Kimbo and then we can finally euthanize the "World's Most Dangerous Man" and relegate him to some MMA dinosaur exhibit. Maybe taxidermy him and (Dan) Severn and place them on a rotating pedestal where they can endless circle each other.

He says one can only imagine how big the Kimbo myth will get with a victory over Shamrock:

If Ken proves to be more sham [than] rock and Fergi beats him, then the Slice hype grows even greater. Dude is already more myth [than] Sasquatch, Chupacabra and a [expletive] unicorn combined. Kevin is the black Yeti.

Rogers even goes as far as saying Kimbo isn't really from the mean streets. We see Kimbo duking it out on YouTube with some rough-looking characters in Miami. 'The Grim' says that's all bull:

Kimbo made it a point to go frontin' to our boys at Big Black. But that street thug B.S. might work well with the fan bois and the Internet dorks who think your street cred means something; but Son ... Brett comes from Cabrini Green; the worst 12 blocks of America. Compared to that your street is Sesame Street."

Rogers (8-0) also does a nice job of dropping a 'Jurassic MMA' line about Kimbo potentially cleaning house with Keith Hackney, Harold Howard and Fred Ettish.

'The Grim' has a right to be angry and this is quality smack talk that he's directing at both Kimbo and Shamrock. But does he really have the fighting pedigree to make these digs? Who is Brett Rogers? He's an out-of-shape looking 6-foot-5 dude with no proof of a ground game. His quality wins are against Jon Murphy and James Thompson. Butterbean also counts Thompson as a quality win.

Rogers' eight wins have come against guys with a combined 34-43 record and that includes two dudes who are 0-1. Among his "big" wins were three guys who wore wife beaters to the cage and another who has the build of 'Playboy' Buddy Rose.

Could Rogers beat anyone in the WAMMA Top 15 -- Fedor Emelianenko, Antonio Nogueira, Josh Barnett, Randy Couture, Andrei Arlovski, Tim Sylvia, Fabricio Werdum, Gabe Gonzaga, Cro Cop, Ben Rothwell, Aleks Emelianenko, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson, Brock Lesnar and Cheick Kongo? Speaking to one Las Vegas oddmaker, all of these fighters would be at least -300 against Rogers. In fact, I'd be willing to say Rogers couldn't beat one of the "fossils" that he mentioned, Dan Severn.

This is all starting to reek of Double-A baseball players talking trash or Jose Canseco raining smack on Vai Sikahema. Actually, add Sikahema to the list of guys who could probably beat Kimbo and Rogers.

SOURCE

Edited by Zion