The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

UFC 85 tonight :D

Brandon Vera's fight was stopped far too early

By referee Dan Miragliotta... the same clown that was behind the Kimbo stoppage.

Bisping was very impressive. Was kinda pissed to see Hughes lose though. I'm not a big Matt Hughes fan but he took that fight even though Alves came in to the weigh ins 4 pounds overweight which resulted in Alves having a big advantage imo. He could have just as easily refused to fight but instead saved a card that had already endured the most last-minute changes and adjustments than any other. He deserves a tremendous amount of credit for doing essentially everything that is asked of him.

I missed 85, was it worth watching?

IMHO, yes- if you can catch a replay. The Pre-Lims were excellent.

By referee Dan Miragliotta... the same clown that was behind the Kimbo stoppage.

Bisping was very impressive. Was kinda pissed to see Hughes lose though. I'm not a big Matt Hughes fan but he took that fight even though Alves came in to the weigh ins 4 pounds overweight which resulted in Alves having a big advantage imo. He could have just as easily refused to fight but instead saved a card that had already endured the most last-minute changes and adjustments than any other. He deserves a tremendous amount of credit for doing essentially everything that is asked of him.

I used to rate Miragliotta highly, but not so much any more. Irony being, he let Kimbo take about 30 unanswered, and Vera takes three where he's trying to fight him off - and he only calls the latter...

Hughes is a credit to the profession to be fair. Even Rogan said Alves looked about ten pounds heavier (even though he obviously wasn't) - and I thought Hughes might sneak it at points. Thank God for people like Hughes to be honest.

Agreed.

Having watched all of it (I had to tape it due to a function) now, I thought it was awesome. Nice to see the Count win.

Bisbing looks so at home at middle weight, i see him as one of the only people to seriously challenge Silva, id like to see him fight Franklin, coukld make a very entertaining fight.

The standard of referies in the UFC has dropped badly, not just because Big John is no longer there but fights are stopped too early by some refs, inconsitsency is so bad, one fighter gets warned for punching to the back of the head for example and another fighter does it over and over again

Agreed.

Having watched all of it (I had to tape it due to a function) now, I thought it was awesome. Nice to see the Count win.

Bisbing looks so at home at middle weight, i see him as one of the only people to seriously challenge Silva, id like to see him fight Franklin, coukld make a very entertaining fight.

The standard of referies in the UFC has dropped badly, not just because Big John is no longer there but fights are stopped too early by some refs, inconsitsency is so bad, one fighter gets warned for punching to the back of the head for example and another fighter does it over and over again

The amount of unpenalised "rabbit punches" was unbelievable - but there we go.

They need to be properly retrained, together.

I really hope Bisping vs. Silva headlines sometime, that would be immense.

I may be a touch paranoid but as a long time viewer of the UFC i know for a fact that fighter Dana likes get away with more than fighters he doesn't like, and fuck me he can turn on fighters quick.He had Arlovski fighting in the pre lims to punish him for not renewing a contract straight away.

Paranoid?, maybe a touch :lol:

Many fighter have accussed him of tying them up in court to deliberately cost them money in legal fees so they are forced to return to the UFC.

Notably :

Cotoure

Frank Shamrock

The UFC are going to hold a fight night on the same night the Affliction 'Banned' pay per view is due to go ahead. (Tim Sylvia vs Fedor.) The card is looking promising for something thrown together at pretty short notice. For the main event Anderson Silva will be moving up to light heavyweight to fight James Irvin.

Main event:

UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva (21-4) vs. James Irvin (14-4) (Note that this is non-title light heavyweight bout)

Under card:

205 lbs.: Brandon Vera (8-2) vs. Reese Andy (7-1)

155 lbs.: Frank Edgar (8-1) vs. Hermes Franca (18-6)

265 lbs.: Cain Velasquez (3-0) vs. Jake O’Brien (10-1)

170 lbs.: Anthony Johnson (5-1) vs. Kevin Burns (6-1)

Smart move from the UFC. If done correctly they could kill off Affliction before its even started.

• 3 weeks later...
Who caught UFC 86 then?

I did, not sure how to feel, i guess im pleased for Griffin, if anybody has earned it he has but i love Rampage.

For the record some fighters could learn a lot about grace in defeat from Rampage.

Off topic a bit i can't fucking wait for UFC Undisputed 2009 the video game and did anybody else know the only person who has been given a screen test for the new A Team movie is Rampage, he has auditioned for the part of BA and rumour has it that its in the bag, how cool would he be as BA :xmasssanta:

Who caught UFC 86 then?

I did, not sure how to feel, i guess im pleased for Griffin, if anybody has earned it he has but i love Rampage.

For the record some fighters could learn a lot about grace in defeat from Rampage.

Off topic a bit i can't fucking wait for UFC Undisputed 2009 the video game and did anybody else know the only person who has been given a screen test for the new A Team movie is Rampage, he has auditioned for the part of BA and rumour has it that its in the bag, how cool would he be as BA :xmasssanta:

I'm a big rampage fan, but I sort of wanted Griffin as the underdog to win - but what a bout, it was so close to call. Surprising it was unanimous to be very honest. I loved Griffin attempting a triangle, and just getting powered out of it :D

Rest of the card was good, nothing amazingly spectacular but I did enjoy it.

Heart of Lytle, immense. Miller's submission, cool. Guillard's KO was intense.

And I totally agree with you man, that should be a tight game. It would be very cool to see him in that role, I must say!

I like Forrest and Rampage so it really didn't matter to me who won, but i must admit, I was kinda pulling for Rampage. The guy has shown that he's a class act all around- even in defeat.

Man, that shit with Lytle was crazy. Blood splatters on the camera lens. Joe Rogan sounded like he wanted to go in and stop the fight himself. Lytle's got heart for sure.

I think they'll end up making Forrest fight the winner of the Chuck/Rashad fight. I wouldn't mind seeing Forrset defend against either Lyoto Machida or Wanderlei Silva. And now with Anderson Silva moving up to light heavyweight.....

They need to work on their heavywweight roster. Doesn't seem like they have very many heavyweights these days.

I agree that Josh Barnett deserves another shot in the UFC. What's the deal with that anyhow? Is it because Barnett failed a roids test after he beat Couture? How many other guys have tested positive in the past and still got to come back? Quite a few.

What's up with Arlovski? Is he still trying to get out of his UFC contract?

I agree that Josh Barnett deserves another shot in the UFC. What's the deal with that anyhow? Is it because Barnett failed a roids test after he beat Couture? How many other guys have tested positive in the past and still got to come back? Quite a few.

What's up with Arlovski? Is he still trying to get out of his UFC contract?

As i understand the Arlovski thing he made it clear that he would not renew his contract and thus was relegated to fighting the remainder of his contract on under cards during pre-lim fights, quite the come down for a fighter like him.

As for Barnett he did test posotive for steroids but to this day disputes using them of any performance enhancing drugs, the UFC did open negotians with Barnett while he was coming to the end of his pride contract which technicaly was now a UFC contract but nothing came of it after Dana White bad mouthed Barnett, claiming he was weak and not a patch on Randy, something he has recently done to Randy as well.

Many fighters in MMA have tested posotive for steroids and disputed the claims.

Simple fact is while White has helped evolve the UFC he has also lost them numerous quality fighters through personal disputes with them.

Tito

Phil Baroni

Cro Cop

Barnett

Cotoure

Robbie Lawler

To name a few

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK