Anyone watch Showtime's Shameless?

GnR Chris

It sort of pissed me off ... and made me feel old at the same time.

Are the writers out of touch or am I?

This girl who plays a teenager, maybe 17 or 18, showed up in a car and when her friend asked her where she's been, she responds that she was with some new dude she met. I am paraphrasing: "He introduced me to all these bands I never heard of before, like Guns N' Roses." And when she mentioned Gn'R, the two guys in the car (one also a teenager and the other one probably supposed to be in his late 20s or 30s) had this bewildered look on their faces. The older guy said, "How OLD is the guy you're hanging out with?"

Has Gn'R seriously lost that much name value? When I was a kid, I knew who the fuck Led Zep and Pink Floyd were.

For what it's worth, as they drove off, the younger guy in the car said, "You never heard of 'Welcome to the Jungle'?"

Anyway, I thought it was interested. They treated Guns N' Roses like they were relics and no one who's younger than, say, 35, would even still be listening to them.

The show is otherwise great.

It sort of pissed me off ... and made me feel old at the same time.

Are the writers out of touch or am I?

This girl who plays a teenager, maybe 17 or 18, showed up in a car and when her friend asked her where she's been, she responds that she was with some new dude she met. I am paraphrasing: "He introduced me to all these bands I never heard of before, like Guns N' Roses." And when she mentioned Gn'R, the two guys in the car (one also a teenager and the other one probably supposed to be in his late 20s or 30s) had this bewildered look on their faces. The older guy said, "How OLD is the guy you're hanging out with?"

Has Gn'R seriously lost that much name value? When I was a kid, I knew who the fuck Led Zep and Pink Floyd were.

For what it's worth, as they drove off, the younger guy in the car said, "You never heard of 'Welcome to the Jungle'?"

Anyway, I thought it was interested. They treated Guns N' Roses like they were relics and no one who's younger than, say, 35, would even still be listening to them.

The show is otherwise great.

Yeah man, I am in the same state of mind as you. When I was a kid I not only knew who Sabbath, AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper among others were but I would also listen to these bands and buy their music.

I'm still in my 20's so I am not over the hill by any means, but I don't see how a 10 - 15 year gap makes that much of a difference in people.

I love Shamless. I havent gotten to the second season yet; I still have about 4 more in season 1 to watch. I took my 12 year old to see GNR when they came through Oklahoma in November; I let her stay home from school the next day since we didnt get home till about 2am. But, when she went to school wearing her new GNR shirt she said not a single person knew who GNR was. Once she told them about Jungle and Sweet Child she said they were like, "ooohhhh..thats who did that song?" So yeah, kids these days dont really know GNR. Im 29, I graduated in 2001 and very few people listened to GNR then. When we rode in my car, my friends were like, "why we listening to old music?"... and this was 99-01.

when i was in minneapolis for gnr this girl came to our table and was asking us to hit on her friend. we told her we are here to see gnr are you? and she was like no im not that old. but she was older than us. she was pretty good looking but kinda stupid. she reminded me of matt damons gf in goodwill hunting

Totally thread worthy.

I sense the sarcasm, but I just found it interesting they not only presented Guns N' Roses as some obscure band but one no one today would listen to.

you idiot, they made that face because GNR isn't obscure at all but the girl made it sound like they were

Guns hasn't aged well with the majority of American teens the way Nirvana or say, Pearl Jam has. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that they were a 70's style rock band. Their sound was dated by the early 90's so it shouldn't shock anyone to find out that kids feel this way.

Edited by Nintari

Lol at GnR sounding dated when they came out. They were a helluvalot more grunge than glam.

LOL yeah. The whole point of GnR was that it was old-school rock n roll but louder and with a harsher/grittier message right? Nothing annoys me more than people referring to GnR as a 'hair-band'. <_<

Guns hasn't aged well with the majority of American teens the way Nirvana or say, Pearl Jam has. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that they were a 70's style rock band. Their sound was dated by the early 90's so it shouldn't shock anyone to find out that kids feel this way.

How do you figure they sounded dated by the early 90's. They broke the mold, nothing sounded like Appetite when It was released and the Illusion albums were fresh and had something for everyone. They were far from outdated, If anything they were ahead of there time.

Sweetness, no need for the name-calling. I thought the same thing too until the older character asked, "How old is this guy?" So the implication clearly was that they were shocked someone was playing Guns N' Roses for her and that he must be way older than her.

Again, no need to name call. Seems you're the one who misunderstood it. Still doesn't mean you're an idiot.

Well MOST young people probably don't know about gnr. Otheer than now since CD is in rock band 3 a lot more probably do than had been the case.

Just as a random fyi I remember gnr or Axl mentioned in Night Court, Full House, and some other shows back in the 80s and 90s. Cool that they were getting mentioned because I don;t really remember other groups being popular enough to get mentions in shows back then. Just randomly remembering while on the topic of shows. :)

How do you figure they sounded dated by the early 90's. They broke the mold, nothing sounded like Appetite when It was released and the Illusion albums were fresh and had something for everyone. They were far from outdated, If anything they were ahead of there time.

Appetite is basically Aerosmith Rocks with an 80's touch. It's, IMO, the greatest hard rock album ever but it is what it is.

Edited by Nintari