Bridge School Benefit Show and Webcast Oct. 20, 2012

gmsugaree

I was at shoreline tonight. I haven't seen the live stream. The show was painful for me, a die-hard Axl fan.

My girlfriend said that Axl sounded like Dr. Rockso the rock n roll clown from metalocalypse. Sadly, she's dead on.

It's just so disappointing. I saw em in Seattle last December and Axl sounded damn good. Did he not do his warm ups? I dunno, but I'm not psyched for Vegas so much anymore. Hopefully he'll reel it in over the next month.

What did the people in crowd think? Did they have the same reaction that you did for the most part?

The crowd wasn't nearly as critical as we were.its worth noting that a lot of people left after Jack White. The reaction from the GnR performance was A lot of people were saying, "he sounds good, but not like he used to." In fairness, GnR got a much bigger crowd response than Jack White and The Flaming Lips.

This was exactly the point I was making earlier about the difference in experiences and perspectives from those at the show to those experiencing the show via the Internet. I heard more of "he sounds good, better than I thought he would." And, yes, I agree, GN'R got a nice crowd response.

Ali

Damn, Axl has lost it again. Hope he finds his mojo before Vegas.

Gotta laugh at everyone saying he should warm up and prepare more. How the fuck do you know what he does and doesnt do before a show? Could just be that the years have taken the toll on his vocal chords (judging by his overall appearance this seems to be the case). The guy hasn't aged well and maybe we just need to get used to these kind of performances as he boosts his bankroll.

Yep, Axl is over. Literally right now I'm watching a Foreigner show from the early 2000'S after Lou Gramm almost died from a brain aneurysm and is fat...he still sounds damn good...what excuse does Axl have?

I'm listening now. He doesn't sound THAT terrible or like he's lost his voice.

Sounds like maybe he had a couple Valiums or a couple drinks or something and it softened him up and stole his edge.

Or maybe he didn't want to be overpowering considering it was an acoustic performance etc.

But so far, the criticizm I am seeing here isn't justified at all.

I'm high right now bit that was awesome. Shades of farm aid. Not only a hard rocking show, But also Performing to benefit Animals or people with the intelligence of animals. Chris Pittman is the Fuckin man. Thought it was Jim Carey when I first saw him. Like a comedic sketch of rocking the macharannas, but legitimately thought it was Jim Carey for a good while. Axl sounded great.

Love you all, go get some of what I had. Support local drug dealers. They have bills to pay and stomachs to feed too

Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

I was watching and pulling for them, but I'd be deliriously deluded to think anything other than it's not quite right. At least they all (Axl included) kept in good spirits and gave it.

What Axl does is tough, vocally. And the glare is brighter acoustically. Even if it doesn't always come off, I'd prefer he put it out there and went for it which he did for most of the set.

While I love Eddie Vedder, and he was great tonight (both in standing in and in performance) and deserved all the plaudits, it's a totally different style and a lot more contained and comfortable in range. But yeah Axl does seem to have problems with his throat and consistently pulling off pitch. He's not the singer he was, which I'm sure he's well aware of. He can still have moments of brilliance live, and can pull off studio recording. As far as I'm concerned I'd much rather that than nothing.

You're Crazy - ok

Used To Love Her - not quite right

Welcome To The Jungle - bad

Better - REALLY bad to embarrassing

Patience - great

(Paradise City Intro) Sweet Child O' Mine - good

Paradise City - ok

Glad I watch it and I enjoyed most of the set. The band looks good and they'll be snippets they can use for promotion (i.e. on JKL).

It was na OK performance - nothing to write home about for sure.

Anyways Axl's voice actually reminds me a bit of the first show in Japan in '09, lacking a bit of mid-range tone but still pretty good at high-pitch. And we all know how his voice dramatically improved in early 2010... Just hopeful here...

Whenever a show doesn't go well, everyone acts like the sky is falling. Calm down. Whether he was rusty, or not warmed up, or ill prepared, or sick, or having a bad day, or tired, or whatever the case may be, it's one show.

The drama queens here are unbelievable.

Dude, blatant excuses are so 10 years ago...at this point if you even have to try...you're just admitting the failure.

This is sort of becoming typical GnR isn't it? Whenever there's pressure and media, Axl can't rise to the occasion. Ever since 2002 really.

And why? Did Yoko Beta decide the earths rays weren't positive enough? Did Fernando tell him the stars weren't right?

And, as said before, how hard is it to get on a treadmill 20 minutes a day? Be a professional and prepare.

But I'm no longer disappointed when it happens. It's perfectly along the line of expectation these days.

Whenever a show doesn't go well, everyone acts like the sky is falling. Calm down. Whether he was rusty, or not warmed up, or ill prepared, or sick, or having a bad day, or tired, or whatever the case may be, it's one show.

The drama queens here are unbelievable.

I couldn't agree more. But we have to understand that the bad-wishers will take any opportunity they can to attack and hate. It wasn't a good show from Axl, it was a great show from the rest of the band. The crowd seemed to enjoy it. It was a charity show. Now chill and have a great day.

WTTJ and Better: awesome instrumentally, horrible vocals.

Axl's never taken those shortcuts in the verses of Better. He sounds like someone beat him up right before the song.

BBF shredding on acoustic is, however, an incredible sight

It's nice how at the end of WTTJ you can hear one of the guitarists quickly downtune their low Eb to a C#

I'm high right now bit that was awesome. Shades of farm aid. Not only a hard rocking show, But also Performing to benefit Animals or people with the intelligence of animals. Chris Pittman is the Fuckin man. Thought it was Jim Carey when I first saw him. Like a comedic sketch of rocking the macharannas, but legitimately thought it was Jim Carey for a good while. Axl sounded great.

Love you all, go get some of what I had. Support local drug dealers. They have bills to pay and stomachs to feed too

:takethat: I'm not taking anything that strong and fantasy inducing...

But also Performing to benefit Animals or people with the intelligence of animals.

That was crude regardless of whatever drug you are on. Those kids didn't chose to have whatever handicap they have, you chose to take drugs and come off as a huge asshole. Well done there.

In all fairness, whatever he's on was so strong that he was able to enjoy the performance, so I'm pretty sure he's legally incapable of being held accountable for his (admittedly idiotic) statements right now.

I think with WTTJ and Better Axl has to sing Aggressively, and as good as he would sing them, it wouldn't match the acoustic guitars. It's as he has to soften his voice for the music. However it does remind me of Rock in rio.

He sounds like how he should on Patience. thumbsup.gif... Even has the Rasp outro.

The outro on jungle, he brought it back.

Edited by Axl_morris