Bands a lot of people seem to enjoy, but which you can't get into

TombRaider

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QOTSA's another one... No idea really what people enjoy there.

You beautiful jock bastard, exactly this! Josh Homme is synonymous with boredom IMO.

My friend loves QOTSA. And he usually likes good music. I have tried but I just can't understand it.

I've always thought they and the Beastie Boys were two of the most overrated musical groups ever.

Beasties are the pioneers of rap-rock, that alone prevents them from being overrated.

And that's a good thing?

But seriously, every song save for Sabotage sounds exactly the same. It's like Zoolander's different looks, I'm still waiting for people to realize they're listening to the exact same song.

QOTSA's another one... No idea really what people enjoy there.

You beautiful jock bastard, exactly this! Josh Homme is synonymous with boredom IMO.

My friend loves QOTSA. And he usually likes good music. I have tried but I just can't understand it.

Lullabies to Paralyze is one of my favourite albums of all time. Great guitar licks, drumming, lyrics, and handle on melody. Have another listen to that album if you get a chance. Little Sister is decent, but by no means is it the best song on the album.

Lullabies to Paralyze is one of my favourite albums of all time. Great guitar licks, drumming, lyrics, and handle on melody. Have another listen to that album if you get a chance. Little Sister is decent, but by no means is it the best song on the album.

I tend to prefer older QOTSA, but LTP is good, too. Nothing beats Kyuss, though.

Iron Maiden...never understood their appeal..too Spinal Tap for me,,

I understand you've tried and respect that you don't like them, but how in the world are they anything like Spinal Tap? :lol:

Ahhhh, right, sorry, it's Monday and i'm in dozy cunt mode :lol: Was he really shit then? Been listening to his Greatest Hits this morning and to be honest, it's grating on me a bit, i keep switching back and forth between it and With The Beatles.

It just seems to be the same fuckin' bollocks over and over, fuckin' American car makes and wistful lyrics and that whole "baby we can make it if we really try" and "the wind through my hair" and all these really really tired fuckin' stereotypes of Americana, tempered with the hint of some sort of tragedy to make you feel like it's about something and not just some crap inoffensive picture postcard of a song, just tired old cliches held together with a dull agnostic belief that, somehow, everything will be A-OK, it's patronising.

I'm guessing you fell asleep during Atlantic City? :P Seriously, though, I could see you liking the Nebraska album. The other albums... probably not, since they generally are optimistic, liberal American songs.

As for the topic, I always say it, but Metallica. I did relisten to Ride the Lightning and actually like three of the songs this time, so they are growing on me. Little by little. Alice Cooper's another one. I like him in small doses, but entire albums are out of the question. I was listening to Stone Roses, and I liked what I heard, but I honestly can't remember how the songs sound after I've heard them. Very forgettable stuff.

u2

bruce springsteen

nirvana

post clayman in flames

kiss

green day

the beatles(although i respect what they accomplished)

oasis

99.9999 % 80's hair metal

post and justice metallica

def leppard

david bowie

and many more.

Dave Matthews Band and Phish. I know the songs, seen them both live. I think Trey is a great guitarist, and also think Tim Reynolds is phenomenal, but as far as shows go, wasn't impressed at all. I'd go see those guys on their own.

I'm amused people are being defensive of their favorite bands. The point of the thread was bands you don't get the popularity about.

Blur. I've just never got them. And I'm tired of people acting as if it makes them interesting to explain why Blur are better than Oasis.

QOTSA were one of the most boring live bands I've ever seen. I don't know if it was an off day or what. I enjoyed Them Crooked Vultures though.

Guest Len B'stard

I gotta say i liked Blur man. Gimme Oasis any fuckin' day but Blur were alright, cool singles and that, Country House, The Universal, Boys & Girls, Stereotypes, Parklife, Song 2, Charmless Man, loved em. I'll take Oasis over them if only because Blur have a tendency to pontificate a bit but you need a bit of that, it wouldn't do to have all like, lager swilling anthems and that, y'know?

I think Blur tried to hard to reflect their intellect at times.

"confidence is a preference for the habitual voyeur of what is known as..." :D

Britpop was the antidote British rock needed, as formally British kids were listening to dour cardigan wearing suicidal bands from Seattle. British teenagers were walking around in baggy pants and Nirvana 'smiley face' tops. The whole scene was ghastly. Then Britpop came along and provided an authentic indigenous voice based on the best tradition of Anglocentric rock (Beatles, Kings, Who, Pistols, Jam). That is probably why it never caught on in America (bar, Wonderwall): too English.

Oasis were the lager swigging 'Northern Lads' group.

Blur were the intellectual cockneys.

Oasis wrote the bigger and better rock songs.

Blur were more, quintessentially English, than Oasis and wrote pseudo-Kings 'twee' type stuff. I mean jesus, one of them is now makes Cheese! You do not get much more English than that.

Both good bands. The problem with Oasis is, they didn't handle their career very well. Noel ended up chucking some of his best songs out as b-sides. By their third album, they had run themselves out. Blur did handle their career well.

Diesel, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I didn't mean to make it a Blur vs Oasis thing. It's just most Blur fans I know always seem to justify their fandom by putting down Oasis which is completely irrelevant to me. It doesn't make me appreciate them anymore to have them compared to other bands from around the same time. I've just no need in my life for intellectual cockneys I guess. I get what they're going for it's just meaningless to me. I was totally on board with Suede and pretty much every other band from that period so it's pretty much just something about Blur specifically that never clicked with me for some reason. I just don't see enough there to make them someone's favourite band. Some decent singles I guess but when I delved into the albums, which is when everyone assured me the magic really happens, I just didn't find much.

Edited by Chinaski

Guest Len B'stard

Quite apart from anything, Blur are/were about as fuckin' cockney as I am a fuckin' a Tibetan Monk. Also, i think Britpop gets a bit too much credit y'know, the good stuff out of it was sort of a continuation of the Madchester thing only stripping away all the experimental attitudes and thus making it more commercially viable, 'Kensington Art Wankers' i believe John Squire once called em :lol: I agree with him. Quite frankly, and i don't mean to start tooting the working class bugle again but when you watch the documentaries about em, the only people that really come off well are Oasis, Blur come off like wincing apologetic embarassed boys, that bird out of Elastica keeps going "yeah...there was definitely something....different...in peoples attitudes...you could it in their faces....and in their like...attitudes" :lol: , they just waffle round in circles and Oasis are more like "it was such a fuckin' laugh!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpidIfXXx6k

Sometimes it's just about when a band comes into your life. Sometimes by the time you get into a band you're already really familiar with other bands that give you everything they can give you but in more extreme ways so the middle ground they occupy can end up making them seem a bit bland. It's not that they're without merit, it's just that it doesn't resonate as if you were coming to it completely fresh.