What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

3 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

I should get in on that racket! Is your office just an Estate Agents or do you broker mortgages as well?

Just Estates and rentals, i refer the mortgage end to this guy i know, good old fella, been in the game for decades.

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Just Estates and rentals, i refer the mortgage end to this guy i know, good old fella, been in the game for decades.

"What's that, you're a gypsy with no income and 20 kids? Of course I'll grant you a £500,000 mortgage. just sign *here*, *here* and *here*. Please call again."

:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, PappyTron said:

On topic, The Thing is an amazing film.

Yeah, i remember watching it completely by accident late night on ITV at some point in the 90s, was pleasantly suprised, it really is a good film.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Barry Lyndon is the greatest film of all time.

It is kinda fabulous, isn't it?  Some of the stuff going on in it i did in my history A Level you helped me with.

The concept is great, something which I have imagined, kinda a had a dream about it too. The remake had a lot of potential, they could have gone in depths of things, but it was just another cheesy movie. 

I hope a serious movie on this concept comes, not very violent and dramatic, but like something which goes with the flow and covers everything. 

A Night To Remember (1958)

Despite a modest budget and wind-up toy lifeboats, this is still my favorite movie about the Titanic disaster. I bought the Criterion Blu-ray a while back and finally got around to watching it (I was in no rush since I've seen the film a thousand times). The transfer is terrific, and even the back projection doesn't stand out as much as some older films (probably because 90% of the movie takes place at night). I was happy to see that this version restored a minor clip of Lightoller resting a child in the sea off the overturned lifeboat that was abruptly cut in the previous Criterion edition.

Rear Window (1954)

Probably in the top five of all Hitchcock films, and in my opinion, it's his most stylish. The way it's filmed is incredible, and it's one of those films that really relies on the performances of the actors to make it shine, and shine it absolutely does.

Jack Reacher (2012)

Watched this again to get ready for the sequel next month. Just as enjoyable the second time around.

Terror At Sea: The Sinking of the Lusitania (2007)

Discovery Channel Docu-drama on the sinking of the Lusitania. The production values are surprisingly good and it takes a relatively non-biased approach to the story. I enjoyed it.

59 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Eyes Wide Shut, Kubrick is sheer fucking class.

Unfairly slated - the critics simply did not understand it. I do think it would have been better without the deus ex machina ending, the scene between Cruise and Sydney Pollack, and like to feel that if Kubrick had lived, he would have seen how superior and unsettling the film would have been with that scene left on the cutting room floor.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Unfairly slated - the critics simply did not understand it. I do think it would have been better without the deus ex machina ending, the scene between Cruise and Sydney Pollack, and like to feel that if Kubrick had lived, he would have seen how superior and unsettling the film would have been with that scene left on the cutting room floor.

His films were often recieved in that way really.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

Jack Reacher (2012)

Watched this again to get ready for the sequel next month. Just as enjoyable the second time around.

It is a great movie, Ive watched it 3 times and it was really good.

Even Im waiting for the sequel. 

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why do you feel that scene spoils it?