What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

52 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What about The Lodger and Blackmail?

Certainly his stamps and signatures are found in all his early films (admittedly I have not yet watched The Lodger), but I think TMWKTM is the first to kind of combine all of them. And hey, it also has that badass shoot out.

On 25.9.2016. at 3:59 PM, James Bond said:

Vertigo (1958)

Poorly received at the time but went on to be considered by critics to be among the greatest films of all time. Unfortunately, I think that its reputation as one of the greats hurts it a little bit. It's extremely slow and probably not what most people would expect for "the greatest movie of all time" or whatever. I adore it though. Probably Hitchcock's deepest film despite not being plot heavy. Kim Novak and James Stewart are fantastic and once the film grabs you, you simply can't turn away.

I didn't really like it, I don't know why. I was/am quite a Hitchcock fan and I had pretty big expectations for this one, but it was kind of a letdown for me. I'd rather pick Dial M for Murder or Rear Window anytime. But it was long time ago, perhaps if I watched it now, it'd feel different. 

And, I watched Mulholland Drive for the first time last night: what the actual fuck?!!! :lol:

29 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Certainly his stamps and signatures are found in all his early films (admittedly I have not yet watched The Lodger), but I think TMWKTM is the first to kind of combine all of them. And hey, it also has that badass shoot out.

The Lodger was his second film, and it is astonishing how much of the Hitchcock style and substance is already in place - I'm just given forth the synopsis, not the ending: vulnerable glacial blond under threat from (suspected) sophisticated upper-class (likeable) killer played by certified ''leading man'' (Ivor Novello); voyeurism, between killer and lady, and between ladies family and killer, alongside police harassment; German expressionist set pieces (there is even a staircase sequence) - it is basically all in place.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Lodger was his second film, and it is astonishing how much of the Hitchcock style and substance is already in place - I'm just given forth the synopsis, not the ending: vulnerable glacial blond under threat from (suspected) sophisticated upper-class (likeable) killer played by certified ''leading man'' (Ivor Novello); voyeurism, between killer and lady, and between ladies family and killer, alongside police harassment; German expressionist set pieces (there is even a staircase sequence) - it is basically all in place.

Fair enough!

I technically own it but it's on one of those budget sets as I've mentioned in the past - I still have yet to upgrade to the British release sets of all his early films.

On 26/09/2016 at 6:04 PM, J Dog said:

Magnificent 7. Alright I guess, not as bad as I expected. Nowhere near as good as the original. And as far as remakes, I'd rank it behind 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit. Just a little too Hollywood for me.

Was Denzel playing Drnzel again?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PappyTron said:

Was Denzel playing Drnzel again?

Now he was a disappointment. Very bland performance. He tried too hard to be the quiet gunslinger. Ending up making the character pretty boring.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Cool!  Does it still look anything like the film?

well a lot of the interior shots are gone or totally remodeled. however, the schoolhouse is intact and being around it is creepy ( it's an historic landmark now. ) the pier is pretty much the same. i was pissed that they changed the restaurant, it got a total remakeand the new one is just blah. but everyime i go i have to eat there as the windows look right out on the bay and i always see seals there :) plus their fried oyster kick ass! :D

yeah that scene is but its supposed to be i think. overall its an alright flick imo. mid-tier like Carlito's Way. 

but then again im enthused with the mob and that general time period so i'd probably like anything with reference to that.

Edited by -W.A.R-

Steve Jobs. i never knew much about him except he was the Apple guy and there was bad blood between him and Bill Gates. this movie showed me the intricacies of his life, his relationship with his daughter, his friends and his employees. i don't know if the ending was accurate but it was touching IMO. overall i'd recommend it of you are interested in knowing more about him. oh and i think he did a fine job as Steve Jobs and the Kate Winslett was very good as character JoAnna Hoffman. the big clunker was Seth Rogas and Woz ( barf ) but overall a pretty good film :)

Krampus. i had been waiting for this and i was a little let down. i was thinking more along the lines of the Krampus episode they did on Grimm and this was definitely more camp than outright horror. lots of blood and gore though! i thought Adam Scott was really good in it and David Koechner was hilarious. standout performance by Conchatta Ferrell and  i was blown away at how good Emjay Anthony was for such a young actor. but all in all though not the straightforward horror flick it i expected it was very entertaining :) 

Just bought Season 1 and 2 of the tv series From Dusk til Dawn.

Watched the first 4 episodes of season 1. It's slow because it's following the movie and we haven't gotten to Mexico yet.

But very good. I'm now watching season 3 on El Rey channel and now I understand why some characters are how they are now. Should be fun seeing how it goes.

Gone Girl

Taken

Both good enjoyable thrillers.

On 6 October 2016 at 10:01 PM, -W.A.R- said:

yeah that scene is but its supposed to be i think. overall its an alright flick imo. mid-tier like Carlito's Way. 

but then again im enthused with the mob and that general time period so i'd probably like anything with reference to that.

Carlitos Way is a MASSIVELY superior film to this, by a long chalk.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 5:35 AM, Len Cnut said:

Gone Girl

Taken

Both good enjoyable thrillers.

Carlitos Way is a MASSIVELY superior film to this, by a long chalk.

Taken is pretty damn good. Carlitos Way is great. Always kind of considered it overlooked myself. When compared to other films like it.

Die Hard With a Vengeance. Probably the last Die Hard I really enjoyed. Come to think of it I'm not sure I even saw the last one.

On 10/4/2016 at 6:20 AM, Len Cnut said:

Friday (1995)

Seen it a thousand times, never gets old.

It's one of those rare films, especially comedies. Seen it I don't know how many times, I still lol at Smokey and Deebo. And Craig's reactions. And his dad. And Big Perm. I mean Big Worm :D

On topic: Cell. It was ok, not great. Still not sure about the ending. It does make me want to read the book now.

Super fly.

I still say the soundtrack, an absolute masterpiece, is far superior than the actual film. I wonder if those street scenes influenced Scorsese's Taxi Driver?

Jason and the Argonauts, one of my favourite films from my youth.

Thirty minutes of The Exorcist 2, a film I had hitherto completely avoided. It is actually unwatchable (and I'll watch all sorts of shite), a bored sozzled Richard Burton investigating a bunch of pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo experiments on Regan. In the words of Mark Kermode,

"Exorcist II is demonstrably the worst film ever made. It took the greatest film ever made and trashed it in a way that was on one level farcically stupid and on another level absolutely unforgivable. Everyone involved in this, apart from Linda Blair, should be ashamed for all eternity."

I watched a bunch of those Marvel Universe superhero films. There is a lot that is good about them, and quite a bit that is bad. Firstly, I do not like CGI so I am automatically at a disadvantage with these things. Some of these however are enjoyable enough - Captain America, which had a nice 1940s pulp feel, and Thor being the best of the bunch. My main problem is that the Marvel franchise is basically treated like absolute comedy bordering on self parody. Even the bad guys, apparent dark big individuals wreaking havoc for global domination, deliver slick quips. It is the same humour in the Pixar and Shrek films: post-ironic, self-referencing, too aware of popular culture and contemporary society - and it is ubiquitous. Is nobody serious in these films? It is like a comedy world of superheroes delivering up one-liners. I used to read comics growing up (you might be surprised by that but I like pulp Americana of a certain vintage). Tony Stark had a very weighty story where he descended to alcoholism, and here it is,

250px-Iron_Man_128.jpg

Terrific comic. How is this treated in the Disney films? With Iron Man dancing drunk on a stage in front of a bunch of floozies!! This could have been a weighty big story line, the descent of Iron Man into an abyss! They need a bit of darkness and gravitas. They are also very derivative, and do not linger long in one's memory. You rather forget them instantly. They are actually the perfect reflection of our age which demands instantaneous and highly familiar gratification. In their defense, they do it well: if all you want to watch is a bunch of CGI battles and one-liners, they probably do it better than anybody.

I do not want to completely lambast them as they do get a lot correct, such as actor selection. They are well executed in a CGI manner. For superhero films however, give me Christopher Reeves in his tights any day.