What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

19 hours ago, James Bond said:

The Birds (1963)

Discussing films with @AxlsFavoriteRose put me in the mood to watch this Hitchcock classic again. Truly the end of his "classic" era and what a high note to go out on. The effects may not have aged too well but the film is still as wonderful as it is terrifying. Easily one of his most purely suspenseful films.

Have you seen the trailer - it is quite brilliant,

It actually offers up an explanation for the avian attack.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Have you seen the trailer - it is quite brilliant,

It actually offers up an explanation for the avian attack.

It's fantastic. Watching his trailers is always great fun. The one for Rope is great too for the extra scene - except it subsequently gives away the entire movie. :lol:

• Like 1

from now til Christmas it's going to be mostly Christmas movies for me. and not just the classic ones like White Christmas ( which i adore ) but the cheesy ones on the Hallmark Channel. right now i'm watching one called Christmas Magic and it's not an Academy Award winner type movie but it's sweet and touching IMO. i am not going to debate religion, i will just say i love the Christmas decor and the mostly upbeat story lines with a happy ending and the fact they make me happy and in good cheer :) 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 4:34 AM, James Bond said:

It's fantastic. Watching his trailers is always great fun. The one for Rope is great too for the extra scene - except it subsequently gives away the entire movie. :lol:

i thought there was some connection between Melanie bringing the love bird to Bodega Bay andthe birds attacking? or am i just horribly wrong? :lol:

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Oh so its a sequel to a remake?  I didnt even know there was a remake.

Yeah, sequel to a remake. The remake followed the original relatively closely (treacherous protege etc) but the sequel, the one I just watched, has virtually nothing to do with the original, and is basically a giant cliche of hitman loner meets girl in tough situation and then kills everyone to protect her because he has a heart of gold.

On 08/11/2016 at 0:48 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i thought there was some connection between Melanie bringing the love bird to Bodega Bay andthe birds attacking? or am i just horribly wrong? :lol:

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to the meaning of the love birds. I suppose there's some Hitchcock symbolism going on there with them being the reason Melanie and Mitch first meet, get drawn together, and so on. There's also that moment where Cathy says the love birds haven't hurt anybody - also true of Melanie and Mitch. Constantly there, always trying to help, but never able to truly conquer the birds. There's also what you say - maybe that crazy lady in the restaurant was right and Melanie brought on the attacks, more specifically by bringing the love birds.

Or maybe some serious karma caught up with Melanie for being such a shit disturber. :lol:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, James Bond said:

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to the meaning of the love birds. I suppose there's some Hitchcock symbolism going on there with them being the reason Melanie and Mitch first meet, get drawn together, and so on. There's also that moment where Cathy says the love birds haven't hurt anybody - also true of Melanie and Mitch. Constantly there, always trying to help, but never able to truly conquer the birds. There's also what you say - maybe that crazy lady in the restaurant was right and Melanie brought on the attacks, more specifically by bringing the love birds.

Or maybe some serious karma caught up with Melanie for being such a shit disturber. :lol:

The reason they attack is a sort of large, barely raised, McGuffin - although, there is a sort of facetious motivation given in the trailer.

I know the FX are dated but I still think they are vastly superior to today's CGI.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The reason they attack is a sort of large, barely raised, McGuffin - although, there is a sort of facetious motivation given in the trailer.

I know the FX are dated but I still think they are vastly superior to today's CGI.

Oh I agree. At least the effects are practical, which makes the birds all the more creepy. It's like Cameron's Terminator robot in the first film. The stop motion animation might be a little dated by today's standards but it sure adds to the robotic creepiness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Oh I agree. At least the effects are practical, which makes the birds all the more creepy. It's like Cameron's Terminator robot in the first film. The stop motion animation might be a little dated by today's standards but it sure adds to the robotic creepiness.

SPOILER

the part where Lydia finds Dan is hands down one of the scariest things ever for me. even after seeing it as many times as i have my stomach always clenches when i see it.

• Like 1