What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

11 hours ago, James Bond said:

Psycho is up there, but I'd personally recommend North By Northwest. You also can't go wrong with Rear Window or Dial M For Murder. Strangers On A Train too. Wait, that's more than two. :lol:

But yeah, North By Northwest is probably the best starting point with the most appeal to a casual fan. It's my personal favorite and possibly my favourite film of all time.

There's so much awesome though in his films. @DieselDaisy would probably give you a completely different list of equally great recommendations.

I'm certainly fine with those recommendations. North by Northwest is a film which grabs you by the seat of your pants and never relents; it is a fabulous film, full of twists and turns and dazzling location work.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I really like the Selznick era stuff.

'Era' being the key word as they hated each other to such an extent that Selznick released him to Universal, RKO, et al. Notorious is my favourite of this era - indeed one of my favourite all time films.

21 hours ago, James Bond said:

Psycho is up there, but I'd personally recommend North By Northwest. You also can't go wrong with Rear Window or Dial M For Murder. Strangers On A Train too. Wait, that's more than two. :lol:

But yeah, North By Northwest is probably the best starting point with the most appeal to a casual fan. It's my personal favorite and possibly my favourite film of all time.

There's so much awesome though in his films. @DieselDaisy would probably give you a completely different list of equally great recommendations.

Thank you! My Hitchock odyssey shall begin this weekend!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

'Era' being the key word as they hated each other to such an extent that Selznick released him to Universal, RKO, et al. Notorious is my favourite of this era - indeed one of my favourite all time films.

Notorious is my second favorite of the Cary Grant Hitchcock films and would probably crack my top ten Hitchcock's. It's a wonderful film, and it's also the first Hitchcock film I ever saw (if I remember correctly). It was that or Marnie - I just can't remember which order I watched them in.

i

17 hours ago, James Bond said:

It was that or Marnie - I just can't remember which order I watched them in.

i watched Marnie because i thought Tippi Hedron was so good in The Birds. the scene with the horse did me, in i can't handle stuff like that :(

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i

i watched Marnie because i thought Tippi Hedron was so good in The Birds. the scene with the horse did me, in i can't handle stuff like that :(

Marnie does have a few problems. I think the main problem is, it cannot seem to decide whether it is a cat-burgler thing reminiscent of To Catch A Thief or a dark psychological drama reminiscent of Vertigo. Throw in Connery's abrupt character change in a certain highly controversial scene, and some deliberate expressionist artifice, and it left audiences a bit perplexed. Nonetheless it was the last big budget Hitchcock, and has some of his most dazzling set-pieces: the burglary of Connery's office by Hedron, all in one shot, no cuts, is Hitch at his best.

It, alongside Vertigo, is probably one of Hitchcock's most complicated films.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Marnie does have a few problems. I think the main problem is, it cannot seem to decide whether it is a cat-burgler thing reminiscent of To Catch A Thief or a dark psychological drama reminiscent of Vertigo. Throw in Connery's abrupt character change in a certain highly controversial scene, and some deliberate expressionist artifice, and it left audiences a bit perplexed. Nonetheless it was the last big budget Hitchcock, and has some of his most dazzling set-pieces: the burglary of Connery's office by Hedron, all in one shot, no cuts, is Hitch at his best.

It, alongside Vertigo, is probably one of Hitchcock's most complicated films.

I would agree. Vertigo just seemed to do the complicated thing much better, and with more memorable characters to boot. 

The scene you speak of with Connery seems almost out of place and it's just not as well rounded of a character as most other Hitchcock leads (no fault of Connery's - he did his best with the material).

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i

That's probably the most intense scene in the film.

• Like 1

Just now, James Bond said:

I would agree. Vertigo just seemed to do the complicated thing much better, and with more memorable characters to boot. 

The scene you speak of with Connery seems almost out of place and it's just not as well rounded of a character as most other Hitchcock leads (no fault of Connery's - he did his best with the material).

That's probably the most intense scene in the film.

agreed.

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

The above Hitchcock talk got me in the mood for Notorious so I watched that last night. The very end might be my favourite final shot in any Hitchcock film.

It is just a terrific film: Raine's nuanced quasi-sympathetic performance, Bergman and Grant in all their old Hollywood pomp, the evil Matriarch - that shot of her coming down the stairs. Oh yes, there is that shot at the beginning when Bergman is drunk and first sees Cary Grant and the camera spins around.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:04 AM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i

Yeah, I hate when animals are harmed (I know not really) but that bothers me so much.

I did like Marnie, but I thought the plot was predicable. I kind of figured out the ending. Anyway, I did watch a movie about Hitchcock and how horrible he was to Tippie while filming Marnie and the Birds. I was disappointed to learn neither Rod Taylor or Sean Connery spoke up for her, but I guess Hitch would have fired them or ruined them or whatever. Anyway, it sucks.

I watched:

Gods of Egypt Can't get those 2 hours of my life back. The whole movie was CGI and the actors were just talking and fighting in front of a green screen, I'm sure. Gerard Butler has to get better movies. I was expecting him to say "Tonight we dine in Hell" when he was making one of his many many speeches in this movie! lol

The woman who wouldn't die

The Funhouse massacre Robert England must have did this writer/director a favor. lol Killings were gruesome though. And yes it takes place on Halloween night! lol

14 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Captain Fantastic, lovely film.  Everything was well executed.  There's a little surprise for GN'R fans, too.

8/10

On so cute! Love it! Party City has an Axl wig and bandana for Halloween.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, I hate when animals are harmed (I know not really) but that bothers me so much.

if i see a movie where animals are harmed i usually won't watch them again but if it's a good movie xcept for that i will watch it but fast forward past the animal part. books are the same way, as soon as i see the part where the animals are harmed i skip past that part :(

just watched Death Proof again..pretty cool movie!

the first time i watched it they also had Planet Terror playing, like a double feature. would like to see that again too :) 

On 19/10/2016 at 4:44 PM, James Bond said:

I Confess

First time seeing what is considered one of Hitchcock's darkest films. It's okay. He seemed to perfect the general storyline a couple years later with The Wrong Man. That's what it felt like to me, anyways. I know some critics are quite partial to this one but it was one of the very rare occurrences where I found a Hitchcock film to be predictable and therefore the tension was lessened. Brings up some interesting moral and ethical questions, but otherwise it fell kind of flat.

Monty Clift was an amazing actor.

On topic:

Jack Reacher

Repo Man

The Duchess of Malfi, more a play than a film really, it was a recording of it being performed at The Globe.

4 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

if i see a movie where animals are harmed i usually won't watch them again but if it's a good movie xcept for that i will watch it but fast forward past the animal part. books are the same way, as soon as i see the part where the animals are harmed i skip past that part :(

just watched Death Proof again..pretty cool movie!

the first time i watched it they also had Planet Terror playing, like a double feature. would like to see that again too :) 

I really liked Death Proof too though i feel we might be in a minority of 2 on this one dearie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I did like Marnie, but I thought the plot was predicable. I kind of figured out the ending. Anyway, I did watch a movie about Hitchcock and how horrible he was to Tippie while filming Marnie and the Birds. I was disappointed to learn neither Rod Taylor or Sean Connery spoke up for her, but I guess Hitch would have fired them or ruined them or whatever. Anyway, it sucks.

Some people dispute her account, or at least believe she is over-exaggerating. Both Grace Kelly and Ingrid Bergman have spoken in defense of Hitchcock, saying they never received similar treatment. Not that I am saying that is what I believe - just pointing iout that her side of the argument is not accepted wholesale.

• Like 1

hahaha well my date liked it too so that's three :P

love your new pic ;)

ok so idk if anyone else has seen this little gem of a bad horror movie but i love it as a prime example of just cringe inducing horror flicks :lol:

it's called Eegah, and stars should be oscar winners who were obviously gypped by the system ( bastids! ) it stars Richard Kiel as Eegah, the frickin' name of the movie itself, Marilyn Manning, and an incredibly talented Arch Hall Jr who not only is an incredibly talented actor but is also one of the BEST singers ever ( hahahahaha! ) he sings. the two that stand out are the love songs he sings to his gf who is named Roxy; the songs are called Vickie and Valerie :rofl-lol:

so i must give this amazing movie 10/10!

(insert sarcasm for most ALL of this :P )