Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

I don't keep any of my records covered in the plastic sleeve - becomes too much of a process to play records. I understand the cover may form a circle indent but whatever.

I hear ya. For me it just become a habit but some times it is a pain in the ass.

Have any of you had problems with brand new LPs skipping the first time they're played? Could it be my player?

I have a record cleaning machine that everything goes through before it hits my turntable but I've had issues with defects like Mike420 is talking about. Records that are warped or skip right out of the package.

My Cd vinyl always skips at the beginning of if the world. Same place every time. It's ok, doesn't bother me much, but it is clearly a manufacturing error.

Yeah, CD is just a MESS overall on vinyl. Such a shame.

I still have tons of albums from the 80's rock days. My brother still has Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath albums. The sound isn't so good, but they still play.

I liked albums. Wish they would go back to them. I love the cover art work and you could actually read the inner lines and words without a magnifying glass. lol

• 5 weeks later...

new 3LP version of In Utero.

I gotta stay up to date on this shit. I needs it!

I was gonna pass on it as I already have a regular pressing and the Albini mix pressing, but I've read a TON of rave reviews about this particular mastering job and I ended up going for it.

We usually do a music night every Friday but my wife and I will be out of town this weekend so we're doing it tonight instead. I'll let you know later if the record lives up to the hype!

I'll let you know later if the record lives up to the hype!

Please do.

It's pretty bad ass. Not as amazing as I was told, but it's pretty damn good.

Had a chance now so I figured I'd post these before I forgot:

vfhmu.jpg

Is that By Your Side on vinyl :D That's awesome! I love that album. Actually, I love the Crowes in general.

To answer question, yeah I still buy and listen to vinyl :)

I wish that was By Your Side on vinyl! That's just the 12" promo card from when it was released. It is signed by the whole band though!

I do have Amorica and Three Snakes on vinyl though and they're both fuckin' awesome.

magisme-

I listened to the In Utero re-issue again late last night and I gotta say, I don't think it's very good. It's not bad, but I think that all of the differences I noticed were more based on the remix than the remaster if that makes sense. If you have a recent 33 1/3 pressing of it, I'd save the money and stick with that.

• Like 1

Thanks, man. I'll hold tight then.

No problem. If I had it to do over again, I definitely wouldn't have bought it. I don't mind spending a little but of cash on a pricey pressing if it actually offers more but this just doesn't.

I've got a couple of 45rpm pressings of some albums that are unbelievable. To the point where it's like hearing the album again for the first time. This one is no where near that level.

Mike Squiers (Duff's guitarist in Loaded) got my The Taking vinyl signed for me :D I'll post pics when I get home.

The Loaded LPs are ones that I keep meaning to get around to picking up.

I found The Taking for 5 bucks, still sealed, in a box at my local record store. Haven't been able to find a good priced Sick or Wasted Heart EP. Also, do you know how I can post an image from an iPhone? Or will I have to get on a computer to do that

Picked up a couple of solid used LPs today: Los Lobos-By The Light Of The Moon and Lou Reed-The Best Of Lou Reed.

I've got a couple of things showing up from eBay this week. The one I'm most excited about is Lee Ann Womack-There's More Where That Came From.