Why all the Ashba hate?

Duff27

Readin over the board as of late, why does everyone seem to hate on Ashba? As far as i can tell, he's putting on a show for the fans. There has been Technical difficulties for him sure, Such as Golden gods show. But technically i'd put him on a par with some of the others.

I think it has too do with him being the new guy and axl wanting to go forward and whut do ya get. Someone who plays and looks like slash or tries to be. Okay Slash is his idol for sure and I think he brings something. He has a good vibe and is friendly.

Think much to do with thd til solo and some mock ups in the past.

Reasons:

- Because he isn't Slash, Buckethead, Robin Finck, or Bublefoot

- Because of the swag

- Because of his bad live playing

- More recently, because of his wife

Theres a few more reasons, but I guess some people will not miss the opportunity to tell you ...

I guess many people just joke around and don't actually hate him, Ive met him and even hung around with him and he seems like a pretty cool person

The thing which irritates me about him is that he acts he is buddy buddy with Axl and always claiming that the GNR album will be out soon when he himself doesn't knows any shit about it

For me as a GNR fan, no one can be replaced, not even Steven Adler, Steven had his style and it was amazing, I remember when Matt joined, I was like who the hell is this, so Fink or Ashba coming in the shoes of Slash is hard for some people to accept, even though to be honest I prefer Ashba over Fink

He has done some good stuff with Sixx Am too, their recent album was not that good, but Heroin Diaries and This is Gonna hurt has some really good songs with good guitar stuff

I know Ashba and even other members of Axl's band respect the old members, but they don't talk about them too much, As a fan I want Ashba to say that he is very thankful to Slash or Steven or Duff or Izzy, I guess its in their contract not to talk much about Slash or other members or I guess they are too scared to get Fired

I hope you brought a riot shield...

EDIT- I don't hate the guy. I've even met him. I just really disapprove of the way he carries himself and acts sometimes. His whole look and scene is really bad, especially since he represents GNR.

Edited by ZoSoRose

I guess many people just joke around and don't actually hate him, Ive met him and even hung around with him and he seems like a pretty cool person

The thing which irritates me about him is that he acts he is buddy buddy with Axl and always claiming that the GNR album will be out soon when he himself doesn't knows any shit about it

For me as a GNR fan, no one can be replaced, not even Steven Adler, Steven had his style and it was amazing, I remember when Matt joined, I was like who the hell is this, so Fink or Ashba coming in the shoes of Slash is hard for some people to accept, even though to be honest I prefer Ashba over Fink

He has done some good stuff with Sixx Am too, their recent album was not that good, but Heroin Diaries and This is Gonna hurt has some really good songs with good guitar stuff

I know Ashba and even other members of Axl's band respect the old members, but they don't talk about them too much, As a fan I want Ashba to say that he is very thankful to Slash or Steven or Duff or Izzy, I guess its in their contract not to talk much about Slash or other members or I guess they are too scared to get Fired

GUNNER PT likes this.

GUNNER PT likes this.

Hahahaha

Wkuk is mad at Gunner PT for liking this comment.

Lets put it his way, if he was around in the 80's looking for a gig on the strip he'd have ended up in the very worst hair metal band going, the kind that GNR despised.

If he had shown up at the riot house Izzy and Axl wold have probably mugged him then beat the shit out of him.

This

For me, it's the shit tone, shit guitar playing, lack of any interesting phrasing and total disregard for Slash's timing in his classic solos. He is sloppy, arrogant, money driven, and doesn't have anything of worth to add to Guns cause he's not good enough to be in a band of that caliber.

I don't really take him seriously and I'm not buying whatever he's trying to sell. He is a fraud. It's clear. The This I Love This solo was too hard? and what's he doing on the part of Patience where there's supposed to be a solo?

At least one thing you could always say about new Guns is that it had talented guitar players. They had something to contribute or were pro players. There was something there. With Ashba it's like everything he's involved with is shit.

His bends are especially fuckin' horrid. An insult and a joke, just like the manchild himself.

Edited by Rovim

I don't hate him, but I really don't like his guitar playing. I don't like that he's in GnR. I think there's a thousand other more suitable and accomplished players that Axl could have hired instead of him.

My reasoning:

1. He's not a good guitar player, capable but not good. Band bends, bad timing and unimaginative melodic and rhythmic ideas.

2. He's a yes / company man.

3. The music he has written and released is generic radio rock.

4. He's really embarrassing to watch on stage (that walking on the spot thing for one).

I couldn't care less about his personal life, or his SWAG company, although the SWAG company is pretty embarrassing. I can get past almost anything but if the guy can't play then I see no reason why he as the gig, or why people shouldn't give him a hard time. Is DJ Ashba the worst musician in the world? no, but he isn't up to scratch to be a pro player.

• Like 1

I don't hate him, but I really don't like his guitar playing. I don't like that he's in GnR. I think there's a thousand other more suitable and accomplished players that Axl could have hired instead of him.

My reasoning:

1. He's not a good guitar player, capable but not good. Band bends, bad timing and unimaginative melodic and rhythmic ideas.

2. He's a yes / company man.

3. The music he has written and released is generic radio rock.

4. He's really embarrassing to watch on stage (that walking on the spot thing for one).

I couldn't care less about his personal life, or his SWAG company, although the SWAG company is pretty embarrassing. I can get past almost anything but if the guy can't play then I see no reason why he as the gig, or why people shouldn't give him a hard time. Is DJ Ashba the worst musician in the world? no, but he isn't up to scratch to be a pro player.

I accept your reasoning, but i feel compelled to comment on a few things

1. While you say bad bends and timings. Keep in mind for alot of the UYI Tour Slash was wasted and could hardley keep time himself. A prime example is Tokyo 92, During Nightrain, in the first solo as it switches from Gilby's half of the solo to Slash's you can hear slash is behind.

2. While he is a yes/company man, and the end of the day he needs a job and i am sure a few other people would admit to agreeing with the boss when he is completely wrong. (i have on many ocassions in my previous job)

3. His solo music shouldn't be a problem with his Guns N' Roses career.

4. Yes, his onstage antics can be embarasing. But it adds a bit of entertainment to the show.

You look at his personal life and he's done quite well. It takes hard work which is clear he's not afraid of.

Though I can't get into his playing or his on stage persona, the two times I've seen him with Guns he put on a good show and ok, his solos are hit and miss but as Duff27 points out a lot of the Slash live material is hardly fault proof either, though of course there is no comparison. I also get the impression that DJ Ashba is more of a chick magnet poser as opposed to the other guitarists in the band, so it doesn't hurt the band in that way. I mean the guy has a clothing line. WTF.

So even though he is my least favorite Guitarist in Guns, I get why people would still think he's ok. I do dread the day that he'd be the sole lead guitarist, that would be hard to take.