Favorite Ozzy-Era Sabbath Album?

Cosmo

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

sabotage

album has a bit of everything and to me it was ozzy at his absolute best vocally he was on fire on that album as was the rest of the band. you could tell the band was angry and you could really feel the energy in the music.

• Like 3

It's always between the first two for me. Voted for Paranoid.

Is this guy ever wrong?

According to my girl, yes I am, all the fucking time!

sabotage

album has a bit of everything and to me it was ozzy at his absolute best vocally he was on fire on that album as was the rest of the band. you could tell the band was angry and you could really feel the energy in the music.

Of course I can't remember where it was, but I recently read a really good article about the making of that album. I honestly didn't realize how fucked up the situation was. It's always cool when stuff like that bleeds into the music, for the better.

• Like 1

Really difficult, and I haven't even heard all the albums yet. A few years ago I finally downloaded all the Sabbath I knew, which was basically the first two albums and then everything else on Ozzy's Speak Of The Devil. So I had probably 20-25 songs. Literally within the last month I've gotten back into a Sabbath mode and downloaded a bit more. Master Of Reality and Sabotage. So I can really only speak for those 4 in full, but they are all really really great.

I always go back to Paranoid, which is obviously the classic but feels cliched saying. It truly is great top to bottom. Personally, I never have to hear War Pigs or Iron Man again, but the gems on that album never get old. I personally love Planet Caravan, and rockers like Electric Funeral and Fairies Wear Boots never fail. And probably my biggest discovery this time around was Hand Of Doom, which is AMAZING. Excellent album top to bottom. Honestly, the first album is great too, although I think the first side greatly outweighs the second. I think the thing with that album is I've always thought it was one of the best "first sides" in album history and then the rest of the album can't possibly compare with Black Sabbath, The Wizard and NIB. But really a great album all the way through.

The real kicker during this "mode" I got into was how good Sabotage is. Like, its fucking outstanding. I watched Metallica induct Sabbath into the Rock Hall Of Fame. They played Iron Man and Hole In The Sky (which I'd never heard). I thought it sounded good, even though James really struggled, so I sought it out. Its excellent. Symptom is tedious at times but a song I already knew was great. Megalomania and Thrill Of It All are both truly unknown great tracks. They feel like they'll ramble, but the band finds a way to keep them interesting. Supernaut is the only clunker on the record, which according to Ozzy that and Insane keep it from being a perfect album. He's kind of right, although Insane isn't bad. I think what really convinced me was The Writ, which is now maybe my favorite Sabbath song. Ungodly vocals from Ozzy and just a groove that totally rocks you to the core. Such an evil song and wraps up the album perfectly.

So at the moment, I'm gonna say Sabotage, cause its really really good and I think it'll be the underdog so I'll give it some love. But if I'm being honest, I still don't think you can top Paranoid. It really is a perfect album and deserves the praise it gets as their most well known. People might yell at me for going slow through the records, but I really like to savor each one. Really get to know it before I move on. Its nice to see I still have some great ones coming up, as I'd always heard Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die kind of suck (even though Never Say Die is one of my favorite Sabbath songs).

Edited by gunsfanoldie

Surprised and proud Sabotage is getting so much love. Thought Paranoid would win this one easily. The anger in that album comes from the fact Sabbath were being sued by everyone: the label, the producers, the executives, everyone. They were making the album and touring to pay court and lawyer bills. They were pissed at the whole situation. Instead of going "it's not fun anymore", they coked it up, got even deeper into drugs and made it angrier than ever.

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 1

Really difficult, and I haven't even heard all the albums yet. A few years ago I finally downloaded all the Sabbath I knew, which was basically the first two albums and then everything else on Ozzy's Speak Of The Devil. So I had probably 20-25 songs. Literally within the last month I've gotten back into a Sabbath mode and downloaded a bit more. Master Of Reality and Sabotage. So I can really only speak for those 4 in full, but they are all really really great.

I always go back to Paranoid, which is obviously the classic but feels cliched saying. It truly is great top to bottom. Personally, I never have to hear War Pigs or Iron Man again, but the gems on that album never get old. I personally love Planet Caravan, and rockers like Electric Funeral and Fairies Wear Boots never fail. And probably my biggest discovery this time around was Hand Of Doom, which is AMAZING. Excellent album top to bottom. Honestly, the first album is great too, although I think the first side greatly outweighs the second. I think the thing with that album is I've always thought it was one of the best "first sides" in album history and then the rest of the album can't possibly compare with Black Sabbath, The Wizard and NIB. But really a great album all the way through.

The real kicker during this "mode" I got into was how good Sabotage is. Like, its fucking outstanding. I watched Metallica induct Sabbath into the Rock Hall Of Fame. They played Iron Man and Hole In The Sky (which I'd never heard). I thought it sounded good, even though James really struggled, so I sought it out. Its excellent. Symptom is tedious at times but a song I already knew was great. Megalomania and Thrill Of It All are both truly unknown great tracks. They feel like they'll ramble, but the band finds a way to keep them interesting. Supernaut is the only clunker on the record, which according to Ozzy that and Insane keep it from being a perfect album. He's kind of right, although Insane isn't bad. I think what really convinced me was The Writ, which is now maybe my favorite Sabbath song. Ungodly vocals from Ozzy and just a groove that totally rocks you to the core. Such an evil song and wraps up the album perfectly.

So at the moment, I'm gonna say Sabotage, cause its really really good and I think it'll be the underdog so I'll give it some love. But if I'm being honest, I still don't think you can top Paranoid. It really is a perfect album and deserves the praise it gets as their most well known. People might yell at me for going slow through the records, but I really like to savor each one. Really get to know it before I move on. Its nice to see I still have some great ones coming up, as I'd always heard Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die kind of suck (even though Never Say Die is one of my favorite Sabbath songs).

No shame in taking your time and really absorbing the albums.

My introduction was a double cassette 21st Anniversary album called Backtrackin, and it had all of Paranoid on it besides Hand Of Doom and a great mix of everything off the first 6 albums.

Conveniently, I discovered weed at the same time...everything is passe these days but getting stoned and listening to Iron Man or Symptom Of The Universe just blew my mind, I started ordering in and voraciously consuming the original albums after that.

I rarely if ever listen to Paranoid (it's like Led Zep IV, full of classics but you end up hearing them a bajillion times) but it is a monstrous album, the first 6 really are all monsters, I adore TE and NSD too but I can recognize they aren't for everybody.

The original 70's Sabbath will always be my favourite band.

• Like 3

i discovered sabbath with heaven and hell, my first ozzy album was master of reality about 3 months after i heard heaven and hell for the first time. sabbath will always be my favorite band each album always brought something new to the table.

• Like 2

i discovered sabbath with heaven and hell, my first ozzy album was master of reality about 3 months after i heard heaven and hell for the first time. sabbath will always be my favorite band each album always brought something new to the table.

I was given (the then current album) Cross Purposes by a friend in high school because she bought it thinking it was an Ozzy album- that was the first non Oz album I heard (also my fave of the TM albums)...I just had to pipe in and say that when I got around to Heaven and Hell I was blown away again.

I don't honestly like the Dio stuff as much as the 70's albums, but they're amazing in their own right.

Never got into the Ozzy vs Dio shit.

• Like 1