China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

2 hours ago, wasted said:

So why does Axl want a label? Just to self release his music? 

I think the question now is

seeing as Axl still has a problem with what Slash has said about him, how does the reunion work? 

Was it more frustrating when Slash wasn't in GNR and he was saying it was Axl's fault. Axl still having a problem but letting Slash back shows Slash left of his own free will? Axl can live with conflict, you don't have to agree on everything to be in a band? 

My guess is Axl still thinks it was fucked up what Slash did. Seems like he still thinks Slash lied and did some damage.

But the fact that he can just tell him, communicate "that shit never even happened"... that means that he's willing to accept him in at least a limited capacity. To be honest I think he loves him and his guitar playing. The money with Slash is good too.

No, you don't have to agree on everything in a band. You rarely do in many I think. If you think someone is evil it can be a challenge though.

But Axl did say in that interview it will be great if Slash will want to be a part of his material and contribute to it and if he has new ideas, that's cool.

He also said he is working on some new stuff as well. Slash and Duff like some of the material in the vault, Slash worked on getting to know the Chinese material so he can play it live. Axl said it's all good and he hopes they'll keep it going for a while.

He wants to release more Guns music.

The reunion works as a compromise. Axl kept Fortus, Frank, and Dizzy. Added Mellisa. What he said in the interview makes it seem very open and the Chinese era material still seems important to him. Like he wants to release some of it and wouldn't mind adding great Slash solos and Duff bass lines.

Finally, he said "like I once said, soon is not the word". 7 and a half years since Chinese was released, but now it might take more than 10 overall. The potential reasons for it seem logical, but I don't think Slash wants to let Axl down or fuck up his return to Guns. I think Duff will do everything he can to keep it together. They're older now and it looks like Axl is trying to do what he wants while finding room for Slash.

He said he doesn't want it to look like he's calling someone a liar, but he said yes to a book in the future. That's his need to let people know what really happened, the way he sees it. He cares about what people think of him. That is still unresolved and it must be weird being in a band with Slash while still having shit unsorted between Axl and all those people that still believe he destroyed old Guns all by himself.

I don't know if Axl completely trusts Slash, but it seems like they're trying to co-exist.

I don't think Axl will ever fully give Slash control. He's always going to have his material and a guitarist like Fortus who can take over if Slash leaves. And the name. 

Songwriting wise this is the Axl n Slash n Duff UYI record:

Get in the Ring

Garden of Eden

Don't Damn Me

Civil War

Bad Apples

Locomotive

Coma

November Rain

Dead Horse

Shotgun Blues

Back Off Bitch

Breakdown

So Fine

Estranged

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Why would Axl even do an interview with this tool? Why not Mitch Lafon or even Eddie Trunk -- you know people who actually like rock music and have interviewed bands before. This band's PR team is the fucking worst.

I think, they just wanted to do an interview, where the audience gets to ask the questions. And this China exchange, provided a chance for that.

On 15 June 2016 at 3:09 PM, Blake Sabbath said:

Surprised there isn't pages and pages dissecting Axl's comment on new music that Slash & Duff "may" be on, but Axl & Angus want to work together. Pretty disappointed by his response to that question 

True, but maybe GNR's rapport is just more complicated. Whereas as Angus and Axl is simple. I'll sort it out, will you sing? Yup. 

Axl is still trying to clear his name in GNR village. 

Actually I think Axl lost some solid workers in Tommy, Dj and Ron. They could take danger. I think if Axl (the record company really) had given them some studio time he could've had a pretty decent working band. But the hot chick and her world class ability to fuck was irresistible. This is the narrative that GNR fans want. Axl has put his differences aside for the good of the people and ultimately it's the right call for everyone but only if Slash and Duff want to make a record. If not, it's all been for nothing and Axl's and the fan's nostalgia for that era has been in vain.The record company who won't support Axl's GNR better stump up some chopper for videos or something. Can't we get an advance for a GNR reunion record?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

My guess is Axl still thinks it was fucked up what Slash did. Seems like he still thinks Slash lied and did some damage.

Axl is a self absorbed, egotistical man who borders on the edge of insanity... He will never accept blame for his actions no matter how absurd or out of line they may be. He will always be the right or the one who was wronged and there will always be blind fanboys and hanger ons there to back him up. 

Axl still believes he had nothing to do with Slash, Duff and Izzy bailing on him. In his eyes, he was betrayed. The dude hasn't  matured an ounce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Axl is a self absorbed, egotistical man who borders on the edge of insanity... He will never accept blame for his actions no matter how absurd or out of line they may be. He will always be the right or the one who was wronged and there will always be blind fanboys and hanger ons there to back him up. 

Axl still believes he had nothing to do with Slash, Duff and Izzy bailing on him. In his eyes, he was betrayed. The dude hasn't  matured an ounce.

So why did Slash lie in his book then if it's that simple? Or why is he back now? 

I think Axl probably felt betrayed in that there was a certain vision the band had in the beginning and Slash knew Axl wanted to do things like November Rain but didn't show interest after the UYI tour. Like Ok we did it. Back to blues rock now. What Axl is saying makes sense to me based on Slash's releases and comments in the past. And Axl's recent comments of Slash willing to work harder on material he used to not want to do. I.e. This I love, TWAT, etc. It's a new style for him. 

Something changed and I think the opinion that it was all Axl's ego is starting to be more and more foolish. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

When someone has a bullying personality sometimes they don't really see it themselves. It may not even be malicious, it's just how they are.

1 hour ago, Sprite said:

So why did Slash lie in his book then if it's that simple? Or why is he back now? 

I think Axl probably felt betrayed in that there was a certain vision the band had in the beginning and Slash knew Axl wanted to do things like November Rain but didn't show interest after the UYI tour. Like Ok we did it. Back to blues rock now. What Axl is saying makes sense to me based on Slash's releases and comments in the past. And Axl's recent comments of Slash willing to work harder on material he used to not want to do. I.e. This I love, TWAT, etc. It's a new style for him. 

Something changed and I think the opinion that it was all Axl's ego is starting to be more and more foolish. 

Slash lied because Axl said he did??? ok lol

There was a lot more to Izzy, Slash and Duff ALL leaving than the flavor of the day Trends Axl wanted to chase.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

There was a lot more to Izzy, Slash and Duff ALL leaving than the flavor of the day Trends Axl wanted to chase.

Why does Slash want to work with what you called "  a self absorbed, egotistical man who borders on the edge of insanity... He will never accept blame for his actions no matter how absurd or out of line they may be. He will always be the right or the one who was wronged and there will always be blind fanboys and hanger ons there to back him up.  "

That makes your boy look like a little bitch for the limelight if your version is true. What other conclusions can a blind Axl fanboy come to?

You could also make the case that your venom for Axl is the same as the fanboys who think everything he's ever done is gold. A little one sided it would seem.

Edited by Sprite
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sprite said:

Why does Slash want to work with what you called "  a self absorbed, egotistical man who borders on the edge of insanity... He will never accept blame for his actions no matter how absurd or out of line they may be. He will always be the right or the one who was wronged and there will always be blind fanboys and hanger ons there to back him up.  "

That makes your boy look like a little bitch for the limelight if your version is true. What other conclusions can a blind Axl fanboy come to?

You could also make the case that your venom for Axl is the same as the fanboys who think everything he's ever done is gold. A little one sided it would seem.

Nope, pretty much everything Tom said was true. Slash wants to work with Axl again as he has mellowed (slightly) and is obviously super talented, and Guns N' Roses, to the public eye, and his own, is also Slash's band, so why wouldn't he want to be back in. And let's also not forget the millions and millions of dollars on the table here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sprite said:

No blindness here my friend.

I've seen addiction. I know what it's like dealing with that to a degree. Add in fame and money and who knows what went on. Axl's also the only one out of that group to not have a drug induced stroke or be on a rehab show, be declared clinically dead during the UYI tour or wearing a pacemaker to be alive, not had his pancreas go berserk, and not arrested for heroin dealing, or have to get away from the other 4 to not be tempted by his addictions. You don't think some of this may have influenced Axl's "tyrannical" persona? I think they were missing a cohesive leader and he stepped into that role partly because he was the most consistent member through all the lineup changes, came up with the name, and it naturally fit his personality. Plus the others wanted the glam more than the business it seemed.

I think the level of consistency and clarity he speaks with is worthy of some benefit of doubt. I'm not saying Axl is entirely innocent. 

It is ironic to see his reputation improving though. 10 years ago I'd get roasted for being an Axl fan by a lot of people. More and more people are becoming accepting of him or are willing to see his version a little clearer, which in turn is forcing Slash extremists "into the closet" because it's becoming less and less believable that Slash was Mr. Innocent, caught in a Rose tirade.

It's like a lot on here hate Axl and really play with the Slash is a victim card, but then forget no one forced a gun to his head to be touring in a week. So it's like there has got to be some middle ground. But I know. We don't want our comic book heroes to die and cultural myths to be alive and well. I still like to believe in Santa. Letting go is hard.

No no, I think Slash turned into an arrogant prick because of his drug and alcohol addictions, and simply could not be bothered dealing with an egotistical, crazy motherfucker anymore. Now that that has subsided, here we are.

Axl cannot speak with clarity as he is not mentally sane. Yeah yeah fair play to him, he's improving all aspects of his persona and performance, (about fucking time, he's 54).

And as I mentioned above, the wads of cash on the table is the primary reason they decided to patch things up, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Philipm787 said:

No no, I think Slash turned into an arrogant prick because of his drug and alcohol addictions, and simply could not be bothered dealing with an egotistical, crazy motherfucker anymore. Now that that has subsided, here we are.

Axl cannot speak with clarity as he is not mentally sane. Yeah yeah fair play to him, he's improving all aspects of his persona and performance, (about fucking time, he's 54).

And as I mentioned above, the wads of cash on the table is the primary reason they decided to patch things up, in my opinion.

You are speaking in a lot of absolutes about people you don't know, in my opinion. 

49 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

No but Axl has made the comment before about Slash lying in his book. And he's maintaining it with Slash back in the band. The truth always finds a way.

Slash also admitted he had to rely a lot on others memory for a lot of the book yes?

If the shoe fits.

I would love to live a world where I could be so confident in something I have nothing do with or don't know the people involved. What's it like being you on a day to day basis?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

"I don't know how I can release my book without seeming negative or complaining about everyone else." -Axl Rose, June 2016

18 minutes ago, Sprite said:

No blindness here my friend.

I've seen addiction. I know what it's like dealing with that to a degree. Add in fame and money and who knows what went on. Axl's also the only one out of that group to not have a drug induced stroke or be on a rehab show, be declared clinically dead during the UYI tour or wearing a pacemaker to be alive, not had his pancreas go berserk, and not arrested for heroin dealing, or have to get away from the other 4 to not be tempted by his addictions. You don't think some of this may have influenced Axl's "tyrannical" persona? 

I think the level of consistency and clarity he speaks with is worthy of some benefit of doubt. I'm not saying Axl is entirely innocent. 

It is ironic to see his reputation improving though. 10 years ago I'd get roasted for being an Axl fan by a lot of people. More and more people are becoming accepting of him or are willing to see his version a little clearer, which in turn is forcing Slash extremists "into the closet" because it's becoming less and less believable that Slash was Mr. Innocent, caught in a Rose tirade.

It's like a lot on here hate Axl and really play with the Slash is a victim card, but then forget no one forced a gun to his head to be touring in a week. So it's like there has got to be some middle ground. But I know. We don't want our comic book heroes to die and cultural myths to be alive and well. I still like to believe in Santa. Letting go is hard.

The only problem with your theory is that Slash's version of events is more  or less corroborated by Duff, Steven, Matt, Izzy, and Alan Niven and it's further reinforced by comments to the press from James Hatfield, Mike Patton, Chris Cornell, and countless others who ran into Axl back then.

Your theory on the other hand is supported by Del James and team Brazil . Not the most credible bunch.

Axl Rose does not have many friends in the biz who would vouch for him the same way people do for Duff and Slash. That speaks volumes.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 4

Just now, RONIN said:

The only problem with this theory is that Slash's version of events is more  or less corroborated by Duff, Steven, Matt, Izzy, and Alan Niven and it's further reinforced by comments to the press from James Hatfield, Mike Patton, Chris Cornell, and countless others who ran into him back then.

Axl Rose does not have many friends in the biz who would vouch for him the same way people do for Duff and Slash. That speaks volumes.

Yeah but did those share animosity towards him since he was the lone wolf carrying it on for so long?

What about that Insane Clown Posse dude and the story with Slash? Ask Moby. 

Slash venting to ICP about Axl does little to back your post. The guy was pissed at Axl and vented. Axl did his own version of that like the stories of Axl playing Chinese Democracy demos to random clubs or house guests to prove he was guns n roses and the rest of the band was expendable. 

I think there are a lot of truths Axl has brought up with regards to Slash and the break up but it's hidden under layers of BS unfortunately.

Edited by RONIN

People with bipolar disorder and similar conditions, often end up alienating a lot of people, without intending to, because of their behavioral patterns. That doesn't make them insane or make them liars. Also, having a lot of friends doesn't mean you are more credible, just as having a few friends doesn't mean that your views and behavior are suspect.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 2

At the end of the day, I don't really care when the songs were written to be honest. At least to an extent. It's the recordings that I want to sound fresh, and most importantly, cohesive. The roots of the when the song began come second in my book. If Axl has something from the CD era Slash, Duff (and hopefully) Izzy can work their way around, cool. If there's something from the ill fated 90's sessions that sparks their interest now, cool, go for it. If there's something they just started now or recently that can result into something great, that's awesome too. A combination of all three scenarios would work really well in my opinion

But I don't want it to be Slash and Duff just adding afterthoughts to old CD recordings from a decade plus ago. That sounds awful and doesn't even remotely hold my interest. If that's the route they (Axl) goes down, the whole thing can just suck a dick.  At the very least, start the recording process entirely over and use whatever they had written and what they've written since as a foundation. That sounds like the  best option to me, and is more than possible so long as they all have their egos checked at the door.

Let us pray ??

Edited by Bobbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Modano09 said:

The most interesting question to me is, after all these years, what if it turns out Axl was actually right? That Axl really was the good guy and Slash really was a dick to him?

Everyone always makes it Axl vs. Slash.. If Axl was the good guy then why did Duff and Izzy leave because of Axl as well?  Never mind the countless other people who have had issues with Axl.. 

maybe they all agreed to disagree but came to a happy place where they could at least see where the other was coming from in terms of the wreckage of the old lineup while realizing they are much better musically together than apart

On 6/15/2016 at 3:27 AM, wasted said:

I think there maybe still some problem between Axl n Slash working together. As my guess is Slash prefers his material to be free to rock. And then with Axl's material he becomes part of the tapestry. The time taken on both is kind of a problem and how the two styles don't match. It would be easier for Axl to sing Slash solo. And Slash to just add parts and solos to CD II. But pure fusion seems more problematic. 

SMKC let's Slash scatch any rock itch he's got