China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

29 minutes ago, spliff said:

I've seen less awkward Ali G interviews. He even managed to fuck up a handshake 50:38

PNEL1n.gif

LOL :lol:

Perhaps he got offended by Axl's oppinion about Chinese people being scared and closed up. That's the only reason I can think of that can make someone act that way :D

That comment about Axl wanting to form his own label because of the money (he didn't really put it that way, but it could be interpreted like that) was really untasteful.

Edited by nn18
Added a thought

So it seems like no new GNR music will be released in the near future. That's probably the most disappointing news here, although it's not surprising. Kinda seems like they haven't even talked much about new music. It's understandable. The reunion is still a pretty new thing and I guess they're kinda feeling how thing's are going right now. And although everything's going fine right now, it seems like Axl's acknowledging the fact that everything could collapse at any moment. Hopefully not. Well, at least Axl wants to release new music. Hopefully they can work things out, so that we don't have to wait for a new album too long.

12 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Yea I didn't care for the guy going at Axl for wanting more money by creating a label, Axl was just saying they would have been better off if they controlled their music instead of having to play the corporate games with Geffin. The guy didn't understand how Axl could have done better but Axl was trying to explain it to him and finally gave up. 

But it there were parts where he got more out of Axl and pushed him to explain himself which is always good with Axl who can say a lot and still give you nothing. 

Great interview though, I really enjoy hearing Axl talk about anything so everything was great. I'd like to have asked him about what happened after CD released and kinda go into detail on why everything went quiet until that 09 tour started late in December. 

Didn't they have their own label back then...Uzi Suicide? I mean, it was no Geffen Records, but I thought they had their own "label". 

1 hour ago, nn18 said:

LOL :lol:

Perhaps he got offended by Axl's oppinion about Chinese people being scared and closed up. That's the only reason I can think of that can make someone act that way :D

That comment about Axl wanting to form his own label because of the money (he didn't really put it that way, but it could be interpreted like that) was really untasteful.

Axl hit him with the "WHY WHY WHY WHY" honestly I think Axl appreciated the money comment bc it let him clarify his position, to anyone else watching this they might think like the Chinese interviewer and say wow Axl only wants more money and more power, but since the interviewer had the balls to bring it up Axl got to clarify himself so it was good for Axl but made the interviewer look bad which is fine he doesn't care...I think it's a win win

10 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

One of the things I found interesting was his answer to the recipe for a good song question. I love it when musicians talk craft. He feels that he is more successful when writing lyrics and melody first (with a few exceptions like Coma), but he wrote Chinese backwards from that.  

Another thought to add to this: Though he could have meant something else,  I got the impression that Axl's confidence in himself was definitely shaken pretty badly leading up to writing Chinese- what with him saying the reason he went about writing Chinese the way he did because of his "weak state".

His confidence was shaken but he blamed that on duff and slash, not izzy. So izzy wouldn't be an issue

Edited by Billsfan

4 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Yup, that's how I heard it

I don't know if he meant specifically CD material though. I took it to mean Slash is willing to learn and play things like This I Love, There was a Time, etc. now. The stuff that might be more layered or complex than say, Dead Horse or the blues rock Slash seemed to want to do exclusively for awhile. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:
22 hours ago, Un42nutzly said:

Did Axl say that the last time he spoke to Slash - before the first gigs - he said that he didn't want to work that hard to learn ChiDem material? 

Yup, that's how I heard it

It's clear to me from the context that he was referring to 1996.

just watched the whole thing, and that moderator almost ruined the experience for me

a woman stood up and asked axl about his favorite song to play live, and the douche just cutted her off saying "nah...that question is too cliché...NEXT QUESTION PLEASE". WTF???

If it wasn't for Axl, being kind and educated to step in and say he wanted to answer it anyways, the woman would probably be even more embarassed

Edited by rendestroi95
  • Like 1

So why does Axl want a label? Just to self release his music? 

I think the question now is

seeing as Axl still has a problem with what Slash has said about him, how does the reunion work? 

Was it more frustrating when Slash wasn't in GNR and he was saying it was Axl's fault. Axl still having a problem but letting Slash back shows Slash left of his own free will? Axl can live with conflict, you don't have to agree on everything to be in a band? 

20 hours ago, Asia said:

If Axl writes with Angus, then he will obviously write what Angus wants him to, period. So if he is so readily willing to give up all control for Angus, he could do as much as to compromise a little to work with Slash. 

I don't think he would write music much, Angus must do all that. It's not so much pressure on Axl. Lyrics and vocal melodies, not sure does Brian do the lyrics? 

Why would Axl even do an interview with this tool? Why not Mitch Lafon or even Eddie Trunk -- you know people who actually like rock music and have interviewed bands before. This band's PR team is the fucking worst.