China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

2 hours ago, Original said:

He had to have known all along what a Slash return would me.  Does anyone actually think that deep down he thought to himself he could have a band as big as real Guns were without Slash?  I mean if he were off his meds maybe?  Andwith all the 'yes men' surrounding him maybe he did.  He also once said something like "I only wanted Slash to be loved and appreciated" ..... And he told Loder in regards to why it was taking so long to record and get CD done his answer was "Slash".

Yeah, he must have been fully aware of this when he made the big decision to reunite with Slash. He's not that delusional. I'm sure he is also fully aware that there's no going back to an "old" nuGuns lineup after this; not because he wouldn't want to go back, but because the fans, at least the majority, won't accept it. He's not at the same position as Slash and Duff; they are active and have other projects to go to when the reunion thing is over, but Axl has nowhere to go to. That's why he wants it to last for quite a while and at the same time he explores other possibilities (to work with Angus, to make music for films, to write a book...)

Edited by Blackstar

15 minutes ago, Kickingthehabit said:

What the fuck is this "working hard?" There's an underlying criticism there and it's cheap. History shows us that Axl's idea of "working hard" isn't about releasing music. It's about withstanding criticism for not releasing music. How in the fuck has Slash not worked hard?

As far as this interview went, it seemed 'working hard' came up as pretty honest feedback and praise in terms of Slash putting the effort into playing and learning the Buckethead and Bumblefoot parts, not about releasing new music, or withstanding criticism for not releasing it. 

9 hours ago, Kickingthehabit said:

What the fuck is this "working hard?" There's an underlying criticism there and it's cheap. History shows us that Axl's idea of "working hard" isn't about releasing music. It's about withstanding criticism for not releasing music. How in the fuck has Slash not worked hard?

Yes. That part where he said the last time he talked with Slash, Slash supposedly said "I don't want to work so hard." annnoyed me as well. He then followed it up by talking about how Slash works real hard nowadays though, didn't even have to tell him to learn CD songs.

That's not  a compliment (and WTF at anyone saying it is). That's Axl implying (or rather outright saying) Slash was a lazy fuck and that Slash being a lazy fuck in the past was the problem. 

And frankly, I call bullshit on that. Slash is a self-admitted workaholic and has always kept busy with something. Meanwhile, a certain ginger basically did nothing for years, but has the nerve to call other people lazy... 

• Like 2

This is a thought that crossed my mind but I don't know enough about the industry or behind the scenes to really know. First time, it was about why is Axl singing better and it crossed my mind that well now he has a bigger budget to help him but also risking his voice is more worth it. Okay with Nu Guns he got paid but there was no glory or anyone paying too much attention. So hiring a vocal coach isn't worth it. Because you don't get as much money and no one's going to really give much credit anyway. So he could if he felt like it, but now his ass is on the line but there's money to get prepared and feel great about it. 

Same could apply to PR. I remember the cane in Nu Guns era, it was like wtf is he handicapped? But with reunion money you can afford a proper PR campaign and they make and tackle everything and make you cool. Now the cane is sex toy. 

He can work out what to say and where and when to say it. Even with DC, did his PR go yes great idea, go win back the hard rock fans. But that costs money, money he didn't spend on CD. Just like the label said doing a video not worth it for CD. Because it's not going to sell more because of a vid so don't bother. But now the money is flowing so the media works for you, the label will give you money if they are thinking well if Slash is back that could 100 mil dollars for us, send them a mil for studio time and crate of imported mangos. The media can now write their reunion stories and clamor for pics. Everyone gets paid. 

10 hours ago, Kickingthehabit said:

Its harder work to withstand the criticism.

11 hours ago, Kickingthehabit said:

I think the last time Axl and Slash spoke Slash was telling Axl how he didn't want to work that hard, he just wanted to do Snakepit as is and hit the road. He didn't want anything to do with Axl's ballads or any Axl industrial shit as it was too much hassle. So perhaps that's what Axl is refering to? Slash didn't shun CD material for the reunion shows. He wrote a new intro for Better etc. Axl is impressed with Slash's new attitude in GNR. We can only hope it continues. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think the last time Axl and Slash spoke Slash was telling Axl how he didn't want to work that hard, he just wanted to do Snakepit as is and hit the road. He didn't want anything to do with Axl's ballads or any Axl industrial shit as it was too much hassle. So perhaps that's what Axl is refering to? Slash didn't shun CD material for the reunion shows. He wrote a new intro for Better etc. Axl is impressed with Slash's new attitude in GNR. We can only hope it continues. 

And it started with VR before Scott joined the band. They sent him the songs they wrote with izzy and Scott wasn't overly impressed. He said they sounded like Bad Company and that didn't excite him. Then Slash & duff wrote another batch of songs like Slither, Do it for the kids, Superhuman, Headspace and VR were born.

Edited by Top-Hatted One

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

And it started with VR before Scott joined the band. They sent him the songs they wrote with izzy and Scott wasn't overly impressed. He said they sounded like Bad Company and that didn't excite him. Then Slash & duff wrote another batch of songs like Slither, Do it for the kids, Superhuman, Headspace and VR were born.

Do we know which songs they wrote with Izzy? I really want to hear them. And fuck Scott for throwing them aside.

2 minutes ago, Frey said:

Do we know which songs they wrote with Izzy? I really want to hear them. And fuck Scott for throwing them aside.

He said he thought it sounded like Bad Company. Fuck him for not working on ideas he didn't like. :facepalm:

What's wrong with Bad Company? I like some of their songs a lot more than most of the crap VR has produced. 

And yes, fuck him. We could have had songs written by 3/5 of GnR. And seeing as Izzy was always one of the better song writers in this band, those songs probably were better than what came after Scott discarded them.

52 minutes ago, Frey said:

Bomb off Like a Dog sounds like Do it for the Kids. 

Maybe some of that Izzy stuff ended up on an Izzy album or Duff solo? There's this hope that there's a great GNR album collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere in the Mexican area 5,  Axl Jones has a map and a camel ride before he can get to the holy grill. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Frey said:

What's wrong with Bad Company? I like some of their songs a lot more than most of the crap VR has produced. 

And yes, fuck him. We could have had songs written by 3/5 of GnR. And seeing as Izzy was always one of the better song writers in this band, those songs probably were better than what came after Scott discarded them.

Nothing's wrong with Bad Company. But it was an album Scott was going to be a part of and he never liked that sort of music. Izzy wrote the riff for Do It For The Kids or something I think.

You can't expect a musician to use an idea just cause it came from someone like Izzy. If he didn't connect with it, not his fault. (or really his decision)

Suckertrain blues seems very Izzy Strad. It's like something off UYI. 

Obviously Slither and Fall to Pieces are very Slash. 

Got no Right and Loving the Alien are Scott as I remember. 

I remember something about Set Me Free and how Scott really worked his magic and turned the material into songs which were about something. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

Suckertrain blues seems very Izzy Strad. It's like something off UYI. 

Obviously Slither and Fall to Pieces are very Slash. 

Got no Right and Loving the Alien are Scott as I remember. 

I remember something about Set Me Free and how Scott really worked his magic and turned the material into songs which were about something. 

Yeah Kushner said people don't realize what Scott did with the material. He did this sort of thing in his solo albums as well. He had a knack of makeing ideas his own, knowing where to take them. Shit clicked with Slither, Fall To Pieces, Set Me Free, and even on Libertad you had Let It Roll.

Suckertrain Blues probably my favorite. The Scott megaphone in the beginning and Slash's solo with the dead animals and tape worm abortions.

Edited by Rovim

Maybe old by this point but there is enough give and take this year for neither Slash nor Axl to feel jealous.

Yes, we're all interested again because Slash is back. Your move Axl.

The band is playing Chinese Democracy songs and Axl is touring with AC/DC and getting rave reviews. Your move Slash.

They are both getting their way and a HEALTHY amount of money as well. While I did think Axl was giving up too much, its also so clear how much he still controls and that Slash, whether by his own will or just motivated by money, is going along with it. Think of it this way: the whole show is about Slash but it all takes place in Axl's universe. Its a win-win for both.

• Like 2

It sounds like they (axl, slash, and duff) want to release new music, but they don't know how to go about doing it at this point. Axl still feels strongly about CD2, they all want to do NEW music, slash doesn't know how he feels about CD2 stuff. Im worried about this stuff, it sounds like it could potentially become an issue. Axl will push for CD2 songs to be on a new album, but Slash want new songs on it. The compromise is clear, do a bit of both. But in the past, compromise was never something they did well. Time will tell I suppose. But I will say this, CD2 can not be released without slash and duff on it, not before a new album with them on it. It would confuse the public, and would be poorly received imo. The only way that album, without slash and duff on it, could see the light of day is in a box set imo. But again, thats after a new slash gnr album. You have to give the people what they want first, then they are more receptive to a bonus.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Yeah Kushner said people don't realize what Scott did with the material. He did this sort of thing in his solo albums as well. He had a knack of makeing ideas his own, knowing where to take them. Shit clicked with Slither, Fall To Pieces, Set Me Free, and even on Libertad you had Let It Roll.

Suckertrain Blues probably my favorite. The Scott megaphone in the beginning and Slash's solo with the dead animals and tape worm abortions.

She Mine was almost the most awesome thing I've heard in rock in the last 10 years. I know it's not really rock, I'm not sure what it is. VR had the basics but special was Loving the Alien. Mary Mary was kind of cool. Last Fight was pretty great. But Libetad was getting away from needing Slash, some of it didn't really sound like Slash. Last Fight, American man and Can't Get Out of My Head don't really. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frey said:

Some of the demos are out there. Not sure if they had written more but 'Pleasin' which people thought sounded like Bon Jovi at the time. Pleasin became Ghost and one of them became Do it for the kids maybe Room 169. There was another decent one song by Kelly Schaefer but it was also also cheesy 80s sounding. 

Anyway the the kind of band GNR was it was best they kept evolving cos they are not ACDC