China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

13 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

You gotta remember they have him for 60 min....imagine if that time is taken up with fans asking their question or telling Axl how big of a fan they are. That's why the interviewer gets like "what's the question?" 

So I think he did well transferring from question to question to get as much as possible from Axl. 

That's exactly why he did how he did.

23 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Interview guy was ok, except the part about Axl creating his own label for the band.

I think the interviewer is so rude bc he's trying to fit as many questions in as possible. He gets anxious towards the end bc he knows time is running out, and doesn't have time for people explaining their life story to Axl. You gotta remember they have him for 60 min....imagine if that time is taken up with fans asking their question or telling Axl how big of a fan they are. That's why the interviewer gets like "what's the question?" 

So I think he did well transferring from question to question to get as much as possible from Axl. 

I understand that but he could have done it in a different way. He was being rude and arrogant and even fighting Axl with his answers. Like, whats the point of having a guest to ask him questions if you're not gonna let them answer in the way they want or don't say the things you want to hear?

All in all, Axl was amazing and his faces are the best. So glad the one looking and sounding like a TOTAL JERK is the chinese guy instead of Axl :headbang:

And, yes, please I need subtitles because I couldn't understand more than half the questions, audio was not good at all.

16 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I understand that but he could have done it in a different way. He was being rude and arrogant and even fighting Axl with his answers. Like, whats the point of having a guest to ask him questions if you're not gonna let them answer in the way they want or don't say the things you want to hear?

All in all, Axl was amazing and his faces are the best. So glad the one looking and sounding like a TOTAL JERK is the chinese guy instead of Axl :headbang:

And, yes, please I need subtitles because I couldn't understand more than half the questions, audio was not good at all.

Yea I didn't care for the guy going at Axl for wanting more money by creating a label, Axl was just saying they would have been better off if they controlled their music instead of having to play the corporate games with Geffin. The guy didn't understand how Axl could have done better but Axl was trying to explain it to him and finally gave up. 

But it there were parts where he got more out of Axl and pushed him to explain himself which is always good with Axl who can say a lot and still give you nothing. 

Great interview though, I really enjoy hearing Axl talk about anything so everything was great. I'd like to have asked him about what happened after CD released and kinda go into detail on why everything went quiet until that 09 tour started late in December. 

26 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Great interview though, I really enjoy hearing Axl talk about anything so everything was great. I'd like to have asked him about what happened after CD released and kinda go into detail on why everything went quiet until that 09 tour started late in December. 

Yeah, I need more questions and answers from the Chinese Democracy era. Also, my question would have been why he hasn't released more music, specially the CD 2, 3, 4 he said he had it done.

Curious to why he said "if Slash wants to write something..." about new music. Seems to me that Slash always wants to write. Shit, he's released a new album practically every 2-4 years since leaving Guns. Axl's the one I'm more concerned about not wanting to work on new music, although he did say he wants to put more music out with Guns. Just hoping it actually happens.

2 minutes ago, ChineseIRS said:

Curious to why he said "if Slash wants to write something..." about new music. Seems to me that Slash always wants to write. Shit, he's released a new album practically every 2-4 years since leaving Guns. Axl's the one I'm more concerned about not wanting to work on new music, although he did say he wants to put more music out with Guns. Just hoping it actually happens.

The last time he and Slash tried to write music together it didn't go so well. I think he is likely actually saying, "If Slash wants to write something with me for Guns N' Roses."

To me, and I may very well be reading things into it that aren't there, it sounds like Axl very much would like to write with Slash but is not going to pin his hopes on it. Slash might not want to do it (he has his other projects) or even if Slash does want to do it their writing abilities may still be as incompatible as the last time they attempted it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

The last time he and Slash tried to write music together it didn't go so well. I think he is likely actually saying, "If Slash wants to write something with me for Guns N' Roses."

To me, and I may very well be reading things into it that aren't there, it sounds like Axl very much would like to write with Slash but is not going to pin his hopes on it. Slash might not want to do it (he has his other projects) or even if Slash does want to do it their writing abilities may still be as incompatible as the last time they attempted it.

Which is why they may need to start getting izzy more involved..

on a side note I'd take something as opposed to nothing..

40 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Which is why they may need to start getting izzy more involved..

on a side note I'd take something as opposed to nothing..

One of the things I found interesting was his answer to the recipe for a good song question. I love it when musicians talk craft. He feels that he is more successful when writing lyrics and melody first (with a few exceptions like Coma), but he wrote Chinese backwards from that.  

Another thought to add to this: Though he could have meant something else,  I got the impression that Axl's confidence in himself was definitely shaken pretty badly leading up to writing Chinese- what with him saying the reason he went about writing Chinese the way he did because of his "weak state".

Edited by sanity_lost
added thought

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

Another thought to add to this: Though he could have meant something else,  I got the impression that Axl's confidence in himself was definitely shaken pretty badly leading up to writing Chinese- what with him saying the reason he went about writing Chinese the way he did because of his "weak state".

Yeah that's what I took from that as well.

I think there maybe still some problem between Axl n Slash working together. As my guess is Slash prefers his material to be free to rock. And then with Axl's material he becomes part of the tapestry. The time taken on both is kind of a problem and how the two styles don't match. It would be easier for Axl to sing Slash solo. And Slash to just add parts and solos to CD II. But pure fusion seems more problematic. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2016 at 2:27 AM, wasted said:

They would have become just a normal band. Most 90s bands have a record which no one cares about. 

Axl's Ballads are some of the most popular songs of the band. 

TIL is so beautiful imo. Of course I'm a fan of just about every song but having a GnR album without a few Axl ballads just wouldn't feel right to me as a fan.

So i agree. I liked the sound they all brought to the band Slash's bluesy sound to Axls Ballads.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think there maybe still some problem between Axl n Slash working together. As my guess is Slash prefers his material to be free to rock. And then with Axl's material he becomes part of the tapestry. The time taken on both is kind of a problem and how the two styles don't match. It would be easier for Axl to sing Slash solo. And Slash to just add parts and solos to CD II. But pure fusion seems more problematic. 

I don't know. As a singer and lyric writer many tend to write as the mood fits or words come to them. I think for songwriters/singers having lyrics first flow easier like poetry and can sometimes set a theme for albums. The lyrics become more memorable to those listening.

On the other approach having music first then adding lyrics may have a catchier chorus but the lyrics or theme won't be as memorable. 

Imagine being on the road and writing a bunch of songs. The album becomes a sort of theme or  poetic like if put in a certain order.

Having a band bring music means the song writer now has to switch it up and figure out what lyrics will work with it and sometimes sacrificing part of their song or not finding a good place for certain lyrics based off the music.

A part of what makes a great song writer and singer is how they interpret the lyrics and the mood they set. Take a powerful ballad for example that the singer really feels emotionally and put his or her heart in soul in. They wrote the lyrics perhaps even from a very emotional point. Those songs are generally well received. The audience can feel exactly what they are singing. The music compliments that to me.

I'd rather not sacrifice the flow of music not to say it always will be. I just tend to agree it's probably better to do lyrics and vocal first. You could have a great song but can't find a place for certain words to fit in with the music presented sacrificing those.

There are some instances where sacrifices can be made or done differently though. 

The emotion comes from all of the music as a whole but the singer is the one who mainly presents it and who's voice is heard first. The music does have to fir the song though.There is so much that comes into play here like are there instrumentals what kind of song is this? It could really work either way on some songs and others only one way. It's really about preference.

Edited to add I'm not a lyric writer. This is just how I have noticed it.

Edited by BOSSY78
added

If Axl writes with Angus, then he will obviously write what Angus wants him to, period. So if he is so readily willing to give up all control for Angus, he could do as much as to compromise a little to work with Slash. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Asia said:

If Axl writes with Angus, then he will obviously write what Angus wants him to, period. So if he is so readily willing to give up all control for Angus, he could do as much as to compromise a little to work with Slash. 

You know this, how?

What you say doesn't make sense, because Axl writing lyrics that Angus wants him to, would be no different than Angus writing them himself. The way Angus works, he would probably just write the lyrics himself rather than have Axl write what he tells him to. He and his brother wrote the lyrics for about 30 years, before Malcolm developed dementia, and just had Brian sing them - so, he really wouldn't need Axl for that.

The only real indication from this interview that Axl has shown interest in writing lyrics, is Axl's stated preference for the lyrics from the Bon Scott era. That's understandable because that was the version of the band which he grew up with. Bon's lyrics had more variety, complexity and quality than the simpler Young & Young lyrics and repetitive themes that came later. If at all Axl is going to write lyrics, it would seem logical that it would be because both he and Angus wanted him to contribute something different from what the band had been doing - what Angus alone has clearly been incapable of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asia said:

I agree in a way, if Angus and Axl end up writing together, then i think Angus would let him have some freedom, ultimately though he will be in charge of the music and overall sound. You're dead right axl should compromise like that with slash, let slash bring his music too and put some lyrics to it and sing the hell out of them. It would be great. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

27 minutes ago, The Archer said:

You know this, how?

What you say doesn't make sense, because Axl writing lyrics that Angus wants him to, would be no different than Angus writing them himself. The way Angus works, he would probably just write the lyrics himself rather than have Axl write what he tells him to. He and his brother wrote the lyrics for about 30 years, before Malcolm developed dementia, and just had Brian sing them - so, he really wouldn't need Axl for that.

The only real indication from this interview that Axl has shown interest in writing lyrics, is Axl's stated preference for the lyrics from the Bon Scott era. That's understandable because that was the version of the band which he grew up with. Bon's lyrics had more variety, complexity and quality than the simpler Young & Young lyrics and repetitive themes that came later. If at all Axl is going to write lyrics, it would seem logical that it would be because both he and Angus wanted him to contribute something different from what the band had been doing - what Angus alone has clearly been incapable of.

Let me put it this way - I think that anyone who believes Angus will let Axl do whatever he wants with the next ACDC album is simply delusional. Of course Axl will be able to write, only that Angus will then singlehandedly accept or reject whatever Axl comes up with with Axl having nothing to say in this respect. If he gives Slash one fourth of this power of decision there will be no problem whatsoever with the making of the next  GNR album.

2 minutes ago, Asia said:

Let me put it this way - I think that anyone who believes Angus will let Axl do whatever he wants with the next ACDC album is simply delusional. Of course Axl will be able to write, only that Angus will then singlehandedly accept or reject whatever Axl comes up with with Axl having nothing to say in this respect. If he gives Slash one fourth of this power of decision there will be no problem whatsoever with the making of the next  GNR album.

Your initial assertion that Angus was going to dictate what to write to Axl was based on assumptions, not on fact.

This is partly better put, because it stands to reason that AC/DC being Angus' band, he has control and veto over its direction. But, any assumptions about Angus needing to crack the whip on a rampant Axl, or that Axl will or won't do whatever he wants, are still purely hypothetical - even Axl's most ardent critics on the AC/DC boards aren't indulging in that kind of speculation, particularly because while the equation in that band seems incredibly positive right now, it's still far too early to say what may or may not happen. 

Let's not beat around the bush - if your intention is to say that you hope Axl collaborates as well with Slash as he seems to be doing with Angus, it would be simplest to just say that.

2 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

I don't know. As a singer and lyric writer many tend to write as the mood fits or words come to them. I think for songwriters/singers having lyrics first flow easier like poetry and can sometimes set a theme for albums. The lyrics become more memorable to those listening.

On the other approach having music first then adding lyrics may have a catchier chorus but the lyrics or theme won't be as memorable. 

Imagine being on the road and writing a bunch of songs. The album becomes a sort of theme or  poetic like if put in a certain order.

Having a band bring music means the song writer now has to switch it up and figure out what lyrics will work with it and sometimes sacrificing part of their song or not finding a good place for certain lyrics based off the music.

A part of what makes a great song writer and singer is how they interpret the lyrics and the mood they set. Take a powerful ballad for example that the singer really feels emotionally and put his or her heart in soul in. They wrote the lyrics perhaps even from a very emotional point. Those songs are generally well received. The audience can feel exactly what they are singing. The music compliments that to me.

I'd rather not sacrifice the flow of music not to say it always will be. I just tend to agree it's probably better to do lyrics and vocal first. You could have a great song but can't find a place for certain words to fit in with the music presented sacrificing those.

There are some instances where sacrifices can be made or done differently though. 

The emotion comes from all of the music as a whole but the singer is the one who mainly presents it and who's voice is heard first. The music does have to fir the song though.There is so much that comes into play here like are there instrumentals what kind of song is this? It could really work either way on some songs and others only one way. It's really about preference.

Edited to add I'm not a lyric writer. This is just how I have noticed it.

That's the problem, Slash stopped wanting to work on Axl's songs. The way Axl wanted it done is every part being just right. SOD seems like the pinnacle of that method. 

And then Slash is happy like on UYI to present finished guitar tracks and for Axl to sing on them, no real interference.  Or work with Izzy/the band on a track and Axl add vocals. But he didn't want to work with Axl on Snakepit songs. 

The problem(not so much a huge problem) I imagine here is Axl already has material so Slash will be adding parts or reworking songs. 

But then new stuff from Slash will be completely different and recorded in a different way. So how do those two things go on one album. 

So I wonder if CD II will be left finished over there but then some other material which hasn't been recorded yet from Axl will come into play. Even here's the demo of Atlas, let's start again. But does Slash have the time and energy to dive in at that level, fully committed to GNR? Especially when he's doing what he wants solo. Which I guess is what he would do in GNR. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nn18 said:

What I noticed is that he drinks a LOT of water. He drank a bottle and a half, thats almost a whole liter in less than an hour. 

I noticed that as well..that's all the water I drink during a whole day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Italian girl said:

axl laughs in a feminine way :P

His laughter is great, it makes you laugh too :lol:

2 minutes ago, nn18 said:

What I noticed is that he drinks a LOT of water. He drank a bottle and a half, thats almost a whole liter in less than an hour. 

I think it's normal when you have to speak for an hour or when you're maybe a bit nervous or when you're hungover :smiley-confused2:

• Like 1