Hollwood Rose

dontdamnmeuyi2015

If this has been discussed before, sorry.

Anyway, I just got a Hollywood Rose cd with Axl and Traci Guns.

I never heard these recordings before. The cd has 3 different versions of the same 5 songs.

The first recordings are the original demos.

Anyway, Axl's voice was amazing. I know he has range, but I never heard these early recordings from him. What range!

Honestly, I think Axl was trying to find his way of singing since a song or two sounded like he was going for the Dio kind of singing. I couldn't believe how high he was singing.

Anyway, it's a good addition to your GNR collection. Traci Guns was good, but a few songs were re-recorded by GNR with Slash and you know how much more unique these songs were with Slash. Also Axl found his singing voice and then some.

Cool to listen to.

• Like 1

I've had that album for years. They're demo songs from Hollywood Rose. 3 different mixes from 3 different people. The last set is by Fred Coury of Cinderella. I think it's interesting as hell to hear a young Axl finding his style. He sounds a lot like Rob Halford back then, I think...

I don't know the whole back story on it, but it's kind of amazing it ever got released. 

And yes- it has that exact version of Anything Goes on it from the video above.

Edited by Fitha_whiskey

5 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

If this has been discussed before, sorry.

Anyway, I just got a Hollywood Rose cd with Axl and Traci Guns.

I never heard these recordings before. The cd has 3 different versions of the same 5 songs.

The first recordings are the original demos.

Anyway, Axl's voice was amazing. I know he has range, but I never heard these early recordings from him. What range!

Honestly, I think Axl was trying to find his way of singing since a song or two sounded like he was going for the Dio kind of singing. I couldn't believe how high he was singing.

Anyway, it's a good addition to your GNR collection. Traci Guns was good, but a few songs were re-recorded by GNR with Slash and you know how much more unique these songs were with Slash. Also Axl found his singing voice and then some.

Cool to listen to.

THERE IS NO TRACY GUNS ON THAT

the five original demos are by Axl, Izzy and Chris Webber and a session drummer (or something like that)

tumblr_nhjbczOUJ91u3qdozo4_1280.jpg

48942fce48d02&filename=%EC%A0%9C%EB%AA%A

i STRONGLY DISAGREE that its a good addition to the GNR collection

in my book, those five demos are an ESSENTIAL PART of any GNR collection as they sound absolutely terrific

they sound better than a lot of stuff on UIY and they are at least 18 times better than anything released by Axl and Slash post-GNR

ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC MUSIC!

GET THE CD "HOLLYWOOD ROSE - THE ROOTS OF GUNS N ROSES" ALBUM ANY FUCKING WAY YOU CAN!

EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO PAY A LOT ON EBAY CAUSE IT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOUTUBE VIDEOS!

VERY CHEAP HERE = http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Roots-of-Guns-N-Roses-by-Hollywood-Rose-CD-Jun-2004-Cleopatra-/252514557318?hash=item3acb0a5d86:g:KkMAAMXQC-tTF9j7

A BIT EXPENSIVE BUT COMES WITH DVD = http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hollywood-Rose-The-Roots-of-Guns-N-Roses-JAPAN-CD-DVD-A-/400808004147?hash=item5d5204ca33:g:8iYAAOSwBvNTob0- 

(EVEN ON THIS SHITTY YOUTUBE RIP IT SOUNDS GREAT!)

• Like 2

Probably heresy, but I have always found the Gilby remixes the best on that CD (the Roots Of Guns N Roses).

Fun fact: the Hollywood Rose logo/emblem is a direct rip off of the Rose Tattoo (Aussie band, Albert Records, Nice Boys Don't Play Rock N Rol) logo/emblem.

I think I prefer the versions of Reckless Life and Anything Goes on this/these.

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1

Hollywood Rose sounded a lot more 'Judas Priest' - border-on-line 'Maiden' dare I say? - than Guns N' Roses in my opinion. Worth a listen but lacking the blues and rock n' roll of Guns - and poorer for it.

9 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

there was a time when i was searching for everything GN'R related and i found a few Hollywood Rose videos on YouTube. where did you get the cd if i may ask? does it have this on it:

Is that Izzy, the chap who has ''no stage presence'' apparently but can be seen in the above clip rolling around the floor, or do my eyes deceive? There are only two guitarists and the other chap is blond! That garage has a seedy ''1980s'' vibe. It looks like a location on Highlander or The Terminator; there is certainly something about the 1980s which lends a seedy look to things - probably the AIDS in the air?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hollywood Rose sounded a lot more 'Judas Priest' - border-on-line 'Maiden' dare I say? - than Guns N' Roses in my opinion. Worth a listen but lacking the blues and rock n' roll of Guns - and poorer for it.

Is that Izzy, the chap who has ''no stage presence'' apparently but can be seen in the above clip rolling around the floor, or do my eyes deceive? There are only two guitarists and the other chap is blond! That garage has a seedy ''1980s'' vibe. It looks like a location on Highlander or The Terminator; there is certainly something about the 1980s which lends a seedy look to things - probably the AIDS in the air?

Izzy has more stage presence than anyone in that band with the exception of ol' ginger bollocks.  

• Like 2

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Izzy has more stage presence than anyone in that band with the exception of ol' ginger bollocks.  

Speaking more generally or specific to that clip?

Izzy is the true cool dude in Guns. Axl is running around the stage in his underpants, changing his costume every second - terrific frontman but very obvious. Slash is acting like a rock god with his silly hat low slung les paul, raising it for the solo - I used to idealise this stuff when I was a kid, but again, very obvious. Stradlin is a little Stonesy character in the background with a big hollow bodied guitar, wearing coolness effortlessly - like a Johnny Thunders or Ron Wood character. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Speaking more generally or specific to that clip?

Izzy is the true cool dude in Guns. Axl is running around the stage in his underpants, changing his costume every second - terrific frontman but very obvious. Slash is acting like a rock god with his silly hat low slung les paul, raising it for the solo - I used to idealise this stuff when I was a kid, but again, very obvious. Stradlin is a little Stonesy character in the background with a big hollow bodied guitar, wearing coolness effortlessly - like a Johnny Thunders or Ron Wood character. 

Just generally, first of all he has the classic bar-room guitar players look, sort of semi-dress but with a 'i've slept in these clothes' feel.  Not too much posey poncing about so as to look corny and he does lay into the guitar a fair bit too.  Izzy is the definition of cool as i understand it, aloof, unaffected, Steve McQueen type cool.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

yes that's Izzy.

They're some alright demos. I feel like I wasted my money buying that CD in retrospect though. Was only really good for a few novelty plays before it got old fast

I suppose its cool to hear the band in its infancy for historical context, otherwise I don't think they're recordings that merit many repeat listens

Edited by Dan H.

8 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

Probably heresy, but I have always found the Gilby remixes the best on that CD (the Roots Of Guns N Roses).

Fun fact: the Hollywood Rose logo/emblem is a direct rip off of the Rose Tattoo (Aussie band, Albert Records, Nice Boys Don't Play Rock N Rol) logo/emblem.

I think I prefer the versions of Reckless Life and Anything Goes on this/these.

I agree on both points. Part of why I dislike Anything Goes on Appetite so much. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

there was a time when i was searching for everything GN'R related and i found a few Hollywood Rose videos on YouTube. where did you get the cd if i may ask? does it have this on it:

At 2:54 "Fuck off moron, I'm having my moment".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Got in on amazon.com and yes it has Anything Goes.

My Axl was so young. Look at all that hair on those guys! lol

Cool thanks for sharing this. You can tell that Axl was headed for greatness. His voice was so high. Love it!

Traci Guns was good, but no where near what Slash can do.

Love how you hear the earlier versions of Anything Goes and Reckless life and how Axl must have changed some of the lyrics with Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven. So much better versions now, but still cool.

The cd has the original demos and they sound amazing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I agree on both points. Part of why I dislike Anything Goes on Appetite so much. 

Oh I like the GNR version. I think it's a fun sexy song. I do understand why GNR never performed it live. It's not up to the standards of the other songs. I also love

Think about you. I have it as my ringtone. Love hearing Axl sing I think about you and only you when my phone rings. ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Got in on amazon.com and yes it has Anything Goes.

My Axl was so young. Look at all that hair on those guys! lol

Cool thanks for sharing this. You can tell that Axl was headed for greatness. His voice was so high. Love it!

Traci Guns was good, but no where near what Slash can do.

Love how you hear the earlier versions of Anything Goes and Reckless life and how Axl must have changed some of the lyrics with Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven. So much better versions now, but still cool.

The cd has the original demos and they sound amazing.

thanks! will have to put that on my Christmas wish list for Santa :lol:

21 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Oh I like the GNR version. I think it's a fun sexy song. I do understand why GNR never performed it live. It's not up to the standards of the other songs. I also love

Think about you. I have it as my ringtone. Love hearing Axl sing I think about you and only you when my phone rings. ;)

I love TAY (Even though @Black Sabbath makes fun of me for it), but GN'R's AG does nothing for me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...