Tommy Stinson On GN'R Reunion: Axl Can't Just Afford To Sit Around On His Butt And Do Nothing

Tommy Stinson Interview - Q104.3

6 Days Ago

Tommy Stinson was recently interviewed by New York's Classic Rock station Q104.3.  I've typed up some of what he says, audio at the link.

Q104.3: Is it true you would have stayed in Guns N' Roses had it not been for your sort of family obligations or something?  

Tommy Stinson: You know, it was a good gig for me I won't josh you on that. Hmm it was kind of weird, it was a troubling bit. I really literally had to turn down some tours with them and they got kinda frustrated with that I think, that I couldn't go out. I just kind of had to walk away, my circumstances were so bleak at home and I just had to deal with it. Every musician that probably gets to a certain place in their life where they're doing OK will probably attest when you start to have family and kids and these things it gets real hard.

Q104.3: Great run with them anyway almost 18 years.  

Tommy: Yeah totally I went and saw a couple of their shows and had a great time seeing them, they're all still friends of mine. The only one I don't know is Slash, I don't think I've ever met know before, although there are some people that say I had at one point, I guess I should say I don't remember meeting Slash.

Q104.3: Were you surprised that they finally did that?  

Tommy: I kinda was, but not really given the nature of what was going on. I mean, you know, like anyone Axl has to work too, you know they've all got their stuff, everyone's got their stuff that they do. Comes right down to it, dude can't just afford to sit around on his butt and do nothing, you know, he did the right thing. He totally did the right thing and I think they're having a ball. I'm in contact with them every now and again -- I shoot them a text like how are you guys doing out there, what's going on and stuff. That's because I left it in the best way I possibly could. I'm happy for them, I've got a lot of friends in that group like I said.

aHR0cHM6Ly9pLmloZWFydC5jb20vdjMvcmUvbmV3X2Fzc2V0cy81OGI5OWQ0ZWMzZDU1ZGE4ZDNkOTdlYTU=?ops=maxcontain(750,473),quality(80)

Audio at 9:15: http://q1043.iheart.com/onair/jonathan-jc-clarke-1368/tommy-stinson-new-bash-n-pop-15613737/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Funky.Monkey said:

Tommy Stinson Interview - Q104.3

6 Days Ago

Tommy Stinson was recently interviewed by New York's Classic Rock station Q104.3.  I've typed up some of what he says, audio at the link.

Q104.3: Were you surprised that they finally did that?  

Tommy: I kinda was, but not really given the nature of what was going on. I mean, you know, like anyone Axl has to work too, you know they've all got their stuff, everyone's got their stuff that they do. Comes right down to it, dude can't just afford to sit around on his butt and do nothing, you know, he did the right thing. He totally did the right thing and I think they're having a ball. I'm in contact with them every now and again -- I shoot them a text like how are you guys doing out there, what's going on and stuff. That's because I left it in the best way I possibly could. I'm happy for them, I've got a lot of friends in that group like I said.

:laugh:

2 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

I like how he says that some people tell him that he may have met Slash but that he doesn't remember. Drinkin Booze will do that though :P 

I assume that he is still a bit mad about the fact that Slash couldn't remember his name ;)

18 minutes ago, trev said:

That was it...thought there was one where he said same/similar bout Ashba.. thanks

He said one time about Ashba:

Niko : Are you friend with some guitarists of the current GNR?

Slash : I've never met any of them except for the guy who wears the top hat. I can't remember his name.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Slash : I've never met any of them except for the guy who wears the top hat. I can't remember his name.

Now him and Richard play Wish You Were Here, and travel together. Still surreal 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Haha - Must've felt kinda weird for Slash talking about another top-hatted GNR guitarist

1 hour ago, LoadedNightraiN said:

Now him and Richard play Wish You Were Here, and travel together. Still surreal 

Richard has shared guitar duties with almost every other GN'R guitarist now - only Tracii, Gilby and Paul are left.

Edited by Sosso

Wow, he looks old. Tommy is an awful musician and was part of probably the most overated band ever, The Replacements. His contributions to Axl solo album are barely listenable and he's yet to write something as memorable as the SCOM bass riff or the ISE intro. As a person I can't judge him, wish him the best with his family issues. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Just another reason to love Slash more. :P

Axl can't afford to sit on his butt and do nothing. He has a fake family to support and an entire zoo to feed.

He had to tour again, and before we knew about Duff and Slash back in Guns my feelings were that if he replaces Bumble, Tommy, and Ashba with new musicians again, I won't accept that and it would be a terrible idea that wouldn't work really.

So even if this is a nostalgia tour, Slash and Duff back in Guns makes sense artistically and commercially for Axl probably and for the fans.

Specifically Guns as a band can't tour forever without some new material. Not even Axl. Once they toured the world for once or twice, demand is going to drop.

Albums don't sell, but Axl doesn't release albums as an excuse for touring. For now though, demand is still high and Axl said not soon and he wants to do something with Angus.

Tommy seemed to have been sick of touring with Gn'R anyway, and had family issues.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl can't afford to sit on his butt and do nothing. He has a fake family to support and an entire zoo to feed.

He had to tour again, and before we knew about Duff and Slash back in Guns my feelings were that if he replaces Bumble, Tommy, and Ashba with new musicians again, I won't accept that and it would be a terrible idea that wouldn't work really.

So even if this is a nostalgia tour, Slash and Duff back in Guns makes sense artistically and commercially for Axl probably and for the fans.

Specifically Guns as a band can't tour forever without some new material. Not even Axl. Once they toured the world for once or twice, demand is going to drop.

Albums don't sell, but Axl doesn't release albums as an excuse for touring. For now though, demand is still high and Axl said not soon and he wants to do something with Angus.

Tommy seemed to have been sick of touring with Gn'R anyway, and had families issues.

Totally agree on all parts! I don't think the guys are going to do an album together. It's just a good tour to make some big bucks and as long as the demand is there for it, and they are still physically able to do it, they'll keep doing it.