If Axl's vocal issues were a medical condition..

15 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience when I read your post, as if I'm listening to myself talking ... 

This is a strong contender for post of the year !

The only thing I don't agree on is early '92, up until the European tour, which I enjoy very much.  It all went downhill from there ...

i saw them live in the end of 1992 and it was a weird sight to see! i didnt RECOGNIZE them!

• Like 1

this is the best Axl's voice has sounded in a long long time...so much control, vocals are spot on. I don't get excited by Axl screaming out rasp, but when he settles in like this is when you hear the magic in his voice. Just brilliant, he could sing a long time with this voice and make some great records.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tremolo said:

But sometimes it is not even that, it's notes that pose no challenge because they Re not on either end of his register, but he still misses them... that's just lack of control, and the only reason for that is lack of practice.

Thats what pisses me off about his live performances, it's nothing but disrespect to every single person in the crowd who payed BIG BUCKS to attend a show performed by PROFESSIONAL MUSICIANS, not a garage band of 17-year olds.

Why would he need to practice singing songs he's sang for 30 years? He's sang these songs thousands of times. He's got to be the most practiced person on the planet singing GN'R songs live.

18 hours ago, tremolo said:

You clearly missed the point.

He doesn't need to rehearse specific songs, he needs to practice singing, period.

Missed the point? That's you, mate, not me.

He needs to practice singing? That made me laugh, not like he does much of that is it?

2 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

He needs to practice singing? That made me laugh, not like he does much of that is it?

I think the point was that when he's not touring, no, he doesn't do much of that. Which is why he usually sounds a lot rougher at the beginning of a tour than he does at the end.

On 4/14/2017 at 9:45 AM, MADDOGJONES said:

Why would he need to practice singing songs he's sang for 30 years? He's sang these songs thousands of times. He's got to be the most practiced person on the planet singing GN'R songs live.

I appreciate your staunch defense of Axl but as we both know, the man's work ethic ain't the greatest. He doesn't attend rehearsals, that's just a fact. I don't care how good you are or how talented you are, if you don't practice, your talent and skills will fail you or erode considerably.

Talented people practice their craft. Will Smith puts in the work for a movie. Stallone takes his roids and pumps iron in the gym before making another shitty expendables movie. Even Arnold, who is the King, must do situps and pump iron or he'll get flabby. Axl is no different. When he puts in the work, we get Axl/DC. When he's lazy, we get Rock in Rio 2011. He isn't perfect. Some songs sound great - some songs, as lenny would put it, sound like shite. A turd is a turd. Twins with Arnold and his brother Danny DeVito was a great movie. End of Days sucked. Maybe Axl needs to eat some humble pie and practice his craft. People like Springsteen and Bono put in the work - if they can do it, Axl should too.

And for the record - I think Axl is doing a fine job right now. Some songs just sound bad though (see YCBM, SCOM, and Paradise City). Some people here think with real practice, he can improve those songs. The jury is out. I hate to say it but I think he may have lost his ability to sing those songs as they were recorded. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 4

Just now, RONIN said:

I appreciate your staunch defense of Axl but as we both know, the man's work ethic ain't the greatest. He doesn't attend rehearsals, that's just a fact. I don't care how good you are or how talented you are, if you don't practice, your talent and skills will fail you or erode considerably.

Talented people practice their craft. Will Smith puts in the work for a movie. Stallone takes his roids and pumps iron in the gym before making another shitty expendables movie. Even Arnold, who is the King, must do situps and stretch first. 

Axl is no different. When he puts in the work, we get Axl/DC. When he's lazy, we get Rock in Rio 2011. 

He isn't perfect. Some songs sound great - some songs, as lenny would put it, sound like shite. Maybe Axl needs to eat some humble pie and practice his craft. People like Springsteen and Bono put in the work - if they can do it, Axl should too.

I'm not defending Axl, I'm criticizing the view of forum member I'm responding to, I didn't say anything in support of Axl. I will do soon though... so keep your eyes peeled.

I don't really have any interest in what Will Smith or Stallone do or don't do, it's a shitty analogy, as neither is performing their films live on stage. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe sports would have worked for ya?

Axl doesn't rehearse, big deal? I wouldn't rehearse songs I'd sang 20 thousand times either. Axl should do whatever Axl wants to do, he's not letting anyone down, no one is leaving these shows disappointed with what he's bringing and on stage he shits all over Bono and Bruce Springsteen.

Z

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

I'm not defending Axl, I'm criticizing the view of forum member I'm responding to, I didn't say anything in support of Axl. I will do soon though... so keep your eyes peeled.

I don't really have any interest in what Will Smith or Stallone do or don't do, it's a shitty analogy, as neither is performing their films live on stage. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe sports would have worked for ya?

Axl doesn't rehearse, big deal? I wouldn't rehearse songs I'd sang 20 thousand times either. Axl should do whatever Axl wants to do, he's not letting anyone down, no one is leaving these shows disappointed with what he's bringing and on stage he shits all over Bono and Bruce Springsteen.

Z

It has NOTHING to do with practicing specific songs or any of that.  the vocal chords are a muscle like any other in your body.  he needs to exercise them to maintain them.  its as simple as that.  can we move on? 

Edited by tberrie007
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Z

Bruce is the boss...he kills it live at 60 whatever he is. 

Axl does good, but you have to imagine at 54 singing YCBM presents more of a challenge than it did at 29, he actually cannot sing the song the same way...his voice won't go there anymore. I think what everyone is saying to your post is it would be nice if Axl went the extra mile and worked with his vocal coach on songs like YCBM, SCOM, NR, PC and found ways to maximize his voice without stressing it. Similar to how they went about making Axl hit the Back In Black material. I think it would benefit the live show and make for some great live footage in the future. 

Nobody thinks Axl is a bad singer, but like you mentioned he's singing songs from 30 years ago, he needs to update his technique Bc he's not getting any younger 

1 hour ago, tberrie007 said:

It has NOTHING to do with practicing specific songs or any of that.  the vocal chords are a muscle like any other in your body.  he needs to exercise them to maintain them.  its as simple as that.  can we move on? 

Vocal chords are a muscle and you need to use them? Well, thanks for that amazing insight, keep them coming and we'll add them to the No Shit list, alongside water is wet and grass is green.

Edited by MADDOGJONES

8 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Bruce is the boss...he kills it live at 60 whatever he is. 

Axl does good, but you have to imagine at 54 singing YCBM presents more of a challenge than it did at 29, he actually cannot sing the song the same way...his voice won't go there anymore. I think what everyone is saying to your post is it would be nice if Axl went the extra mile and worked with his vocal coach on songs like YCBM, SCOM, NR, PC and found ways to maximize his voice without stressing it. Similar to how they went about making Axl hit the Back In Black material. I think it would benefit the live show and make for some great live footage in the future. 

Nobody thinks Axl is a bad singer, but like you mentioned he's singing songs from 30 years ago, he needs to update his technique Bc he's not getting any younger 

He's used a vocal couch on and off for years though, it's not like he just decided to get one and work on his voice for AC/DC.

That people think he doesn't train or look after his voice is ridiculous, they just assume he doesn't do shit because they don't like how he sounds on certain songs.

9 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

He's used a vocal couch on and off for years though, it's not like he just decided to get one and work on his voice for AC/DC.

That people think he doesn't train or look after his voice is ridiculous, they just assume he doesn't do shit because they don't like how he sounds on certain songs.

He literally said "I brought in my vocal coach I hadn't worked with in 20 years..."

he used Bach's vocal coach in 06 but got sick from the technique and quit using him. ..I think Axl lost his voice after one of the Hammerstein shows and had an emergency vocal coach work with him. 

But yea that AC/DC coach that trained Axl in the 90's is new to this Axl...and he seemed to have worked wonders for him 

Just now, IncitingChaos said:

He literally said "I brought in my vocal coach I hadn't worked with in 20 years..."

he used Bach's vocal coach in 06 but got sick from the technique and quit using him. ..I think Axl lost his voice after one of the Hammerstein shows and had an emergency vocal coach work with him. 

But yea that AC/DC coach that trained Axl in the 90's is new to this Axl...and he seemed to have worked wonders for him 

Yeah, he said he brought in a coach he hadn't worked with in 20 years, but what's your point? He didn't say he hasn't worked with a vocal coach for 20 years.

He's used many different coaches over the years, he works hard on his maintaining is voice, clearly. Just because he doesn't like rehearsing doesn't mean he doesn't give a fuck about it as many here like to think.

19 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Yeah, he said he brought in a coach he hadn't worked with in 20 years, but what's your point? He didn't say he hasn't worked with a vocal coach for 20 years.

He's used many different coaches over the years, he works hard on his maintaining is voice, clearly. Just because he doesn't like rehearsing doesn't mean he doesn't give a fuck about it as many here like to think.

I can guarantee you he didn't have a vocal coach from 07-14...when he sent around his million records sold CD trophies he sent one to that vocal coach he hadn't worked with in 20 years...bc that vocal coach got his voice nice and clean like he wanted it, and when it came time to try out for ACDC he called him back and said "hey I need that nice raspy voice I had before we F'd it all up in the late 90's. " 

and I cannot think of one person who will say Axl sounds good on SCOM, PC or YCBM...

its embarrassing that this is on their official page...

i don't doubt Axl is working hard, but you can work hard at the wrong things and still come up short. If Bon Scott wrote You Could Be Mine Axl would sound better than he does on Back in Black...I don't even know how it's debatable, there's too much evidence from the ACDC shows for anyone to say Axl can't sing this or that...there's no GNR song harder than what he put himself through with ACDC. He has the vocal abilities to put together a complete GNR show without sounding like he's coasting through the second half of the set

4 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Z

He doesn't shit all over Bono. No way, no how.

I thought it has already been said many times, yet people still ignore that – there is a difference between Axl's work on Brian Johnson's songs and Bon Scott's songs. He can go raspy and powerful, but he won't or can't do the middle range songs the same way – and you could clearly hear some mickey voice on Scott's songs. The same goes for YCBM, NR and the likes. Also, I don't think in general he gets better during tours any more. Yes, maybe for a couple of first shows, but not the same way he did in the 90s.
Anyway, I think the point most people are missing is that NO ONE here can CLAIM anything. You use words like obviously, common knowledge, guarantee, and describe what Axl does or doesn't do in privacy – yet you don't know shit, you just assume things.
As for the comparisons, they are ridiculous. Axl is unique, and the other singers are too. Comparing incomparable, too many aspects, too many variables...

I think people should be more humble. If you want to get anywhere, first you need to admit that you don't know anything or that anything you know doesn't have to be true. That's not a new thought btw.

Edited by jamillos

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

I thought it has already been said many times, yet people still ignore that – there is a difference between Axl's work on Brian Johnson's songs and Bon Scott's songs. He can go raspy and powerful, but he won't or can't do the middle range songs the same way – and you could clearly hear some mickey voice on Scott's songs. The same goes for YCBM, NR and the likes. Also, I don't think in general he gets better during tours any more. Yes, maybe for a couple of first shows, but not the same way he did in the 90s.
Anyway, I think the point most people are missing is that NO ONE here can CLAIM anything. You use words like obviously, common knowledge, guarantee, and describe what Axl does or doesn't do in privacy – yet you don't know shit, you just assume things.
As for the comparisons, they are ridiculous. Axl is unique, and the other singers are too. Comparing incomparable, too many aspects, too many variables...

I think people should be more humble. If you want to get anywhere, first you need to admit that you don't know anything or that anything you know doesn't have to be true. That's not a new thought btw.

Axl sang one song without rasp on the AC/DC catalogue...it was TNT. 

Brian and Bon have two different voices and Axl nailed both. There was nothing he sang with AC/DC that was easier than songs like November Rain and You Could Be Mine has absolutely no reason to be weak...

youre asking everyone to humble themselves and go into everything as not knowing anything...but that's a given if you're going to be a GNR fan. We never know anything. it's already coming up on a decade since the last album, the fan base gets use to having to assume what's going on.

Idk what you mean by the comparisons people are making for Axl...the only person we are comparing Axl to is Axl himself. You have GNR Axl versus AC/DC Axl, one did over 20 private rehearsals and hired a voice coach in a 3 month period and even has begun talks about working on all new material while the other has spent the last 15 years charging people to show up to his rehearsals, while figuring out how to release the second part to a 20 year old album 

11 hours ago, tremolo said:

Anyone can sing, but having control of your voice is a completely different story, and that's where Axl fails miserably, and thats nothing bit lack of practice. It's not learning the songs, it's knowing how to breathe and basically knowing how to control your vocal chords.

That times 100. Like any skill, a vocalist needs control and practice. Vocal skill gets often misinterpreted as a natural skill that you are born with, when in reality it is obtained for the most part through mastery.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Brian and Bon have two different voices and Axl nailed both. There was nothing he sang with AC/DC that was easier than songs like November Rain and You Could Be Mine has absolutely no reason to be weak...

youre asking everyone to humble themselves and go into everything as not knowing anything...but that's a given if you're going to be a GNR fan. We never know anything. it's already coming up on a decade since the last album, the fan base gets use to having to assume what's going on.

Idk what you mean by the comparisons people are making for Axl...the only person we are comparing Axl to is Axl himself. You have GNR Axl versus AC/DC Axl, one did over 20 private rehearsals and hired a voice coach in a 3 month period and even has begun talks about working on all new material while the other has spent the last 15 years charging people to show up to his rehearsals, while figuring out how to release the second part to a 20 year old album 

22 hours ago, jamillos said:

18 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

- The mickey sometimes protruded to other songs as well afaik. No problem.

- Yes, but there is a difference between assuming things and claiming to know them like a dick, which I've witnessed here many times.

- By the comparisons I meant Axl vs. Springsteen, Bono… It's useless.
As for the Axl vs. Axl, I can only say what I've said here before – they're still reintroducing themselves to the world; let them finish the tour first and have some rest, and then let's demand new stuff, wouldn’t that make sense?

Edited by jamillos

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

- The mickey sometimes protruded to other songs as well afaik. No problem.

- Yes, but there is a difference between assuming things and claiming to know them like a dick, which I've witnessed here many times.

- By the comparisons I meant Axl vs. Springsteen, Bono… It's useless.
As for the Axl vs. Axl, I can only say what I've said here before – they're still reintroducing themselves to the world; let them finish the tour first and have some rest, and then let's demand new stuff, wouldn’t that make sense?

It would if Axl had been productive the last 20 years, if Richard and Frank weren't involved, if the only new music we've heard about is Axl showing Slash and Duff old CD2 cuts. The truth is this lineup is an evolving  of the 2014 lineup.

now if you say do we really have a choice, then of course not. We will all keep waiting and be just as excited when something does happen, there might be some remarks like "finally" or about time but in the end we just complain until something happens...it's part of being a fan I guess 

Edited by IncitingChaos