Jump to content
DieselDaisy

We need a cricket thread here

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Its a quintessentially British sport and its firmly rooted in the culture but its certainly not what I'd call popular.  It has a sort of stigma as like...a conservative non-exciting thing.  Abroad its a massive thing, in the old colonies, lots of South Asian nations and down under, the South Asian ones particularly, not being subject to the old guard stiff upper lip association it has in this country, are really rowdy and lively about it.  This final was like a movie finish though, so I'm told, I didn't watch it.

Ha. Didn't know that.

I watched the highlights cause I saw it everywhere and I thought it must've been really good then and it did look intense as fuck near the end. I thought that the rule deciding the winner was stupid. Ironically I didn't like the rule that ended tennis either. Let them all battle it out, don't have tie breakers in the 5th set or a rule about "who scored more of this type wins" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I thought cricket is a really big thing in UK but then I saw an article that 6m in average watched Wimbledon final between a Swiss dude and a Serb while cricket had a 4m average

 

 

 

Cliff Richard, Gloria Hunnerford and ''the royals'' have a lot of fans. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I thought cricket is a really big thing in UK but then I saw an article that 6m in average watched Wimbledon final between a Swiss dude and a Serb while cricket had a 4m average

Tennis is one BBC 1/2. Most cricket is generally on a subscription channel most people don't have, so less exposure.

That and people often have better things to do with their time than watch cricket, like watch paint dry.

Unless you watch Cricket, you're more likely to hear about cricketers getting arresseted for a pub punch up or fixing a game, than the game itself. 

Also most of the team's tend to be commonwealth countries that decided to get away from the UK long before Brexit was a thing. It's also mostly seems to be the same countries playing the same countries.

Edited by AtariLegend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about cricket, never watched a game in my life, so I can't say anything about that. But that Wimbledon final yesterday was historic before it started. You have two of the best players of all time playing a final at the most prestigious tournament in the world. Even a lot of people who normally never watch tennis sat down for this one. And they delivered, the longest and one of the most historic Wimbledon finals ever played, almost 5 hours of two rivals fighting each other without giving an inch. And this is why tennis is the best sport in the world. I'm still gutted Federer lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Tennis is one BBC 1/2. Most cricket is generally on a subscription channel most people don't have, so less exposure.

That and people often have better things to do with their time than watch cricket, like watch paint dry.

Unless you watch Cricket, you're more likely to hear about cricketers getting arresseted for a pub punch up or fixing a game, than the game itself. 

Also most of the team's tend to be commonwealth countries that decided to get away from the UK long before Brexit was a thing. It's also mostly seems to be the same countries playing the same countries.

And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy lamb of god
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the countenance divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear, oh clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

22 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I know nothing about cricket, never watched a game in my life, so I can't say anything about that. But that Wimbledon final yesterday was historic before it started. You have two of the best players of all time playing a final at the most prestigious tournament in the world. Even a lot of people who normally never watch tennis sat down for this one. And they delivered, the longest and one of the most historic Wimbledon finals ever played, almost 5 hours of two rivals fighting each other without giving an inch. And this is why tennis is the best sport in the world. I'm still gutted Federer lost.

The Dutch actually are the one European country who play cricket, albeit at a minor level. You are in there with the Scots, Hong Kong and Kenyans. Had a few chaps in the county championship also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I didn't watch it.

What a wanker. And I have watched all this Joshua and ''GGG'' bollocks all this time and you couldn't even be arsed to watch your country accomplish the greatest thing in her entire history. You are worse than Jan shopping for her shoes. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

8 million incidentally, more than Wimbledon.

You made look again :D

Wimbledon, BBC1 - peak 9.6m at 7.05pm, average 6m

Cricket World Cup final, C4 - peak 4.5m at 7.25pm, average 2.4m (C4 morning coverage - peak 2.1m, average 1.2m) 

Sky Sports Main Event peak 1.13m, average 550,000 

Combined peak figure for C4 and all Sky channels - 8.3m

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

What a wanker. And I have watched all this Joshua and ''GGG'' bollocks all this time and you couldn't even be arsed to watch your country accomplish the greatest thing in her entire history. You are worse than Jan shopping for her shoes. 

Thing is cricket is so boring that I just look at the scores rather than the game so I was sitting there watching Young and Innocent by Hitchcock and towards the end of the game I found myself flipping back and forth on my phone and towards like, the last 5 or 6 overs I did find myself thinking 'hang on, this is quite nail-biting' but I'd committed to Hitch at that point so y'know :lol:  Also by that time it was like 'oh we're gonna lose anyway' and I've had my share of watching England lose things.  It appears it was my man Ben Stokes that did the bizzo too.

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Atari, just for you,

 

16082610-7249605-image-a-25_156321428167

He's got the same watch as me too...great minds and all that :D

Edited by Len Cnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Tennis is one BBC 1/2. Most cricket is generally on a subscription channel most people don't have, so less exposure.

That and people often have better things to do with their time than watch cricket, like watch paint dry.

Unless you watch Cricket, you're more likely to hear about cricketers getting arresseted for a pub punch up or fixing a game, than the game itself. 

Also most of the team's tend to be commonwealth countries that decided to get away from the UK long before Brexit was a thing. It's also mostly seems to be the same countries playing the same countries.

I checked some of the earlier championships and it does look like the same teams play the same. Here in Serbia we have that thing with waterpolo, it's a really big thing for us but that sport is being played at a high level only by exYugoslavia, Hungary, Italy, USA and Spain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Dutch actually are the one European country who play cricket, albeit at a minor level. You are in there with the Scots, Hong Kong and Kenyans. Had a few chaps in the county championship also. 

See? I didn't even know, shows you how ignorant I am about this. I guess I only associate cricket with that film The Grand Seduction. But I really only follow tennis anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, Nicklord said:

You made look again :D

Wimbledon, BBC1 - peak 9.6m at 7.05pm, average 6m

Cricket World Cup final, C4 - peak 4.5m at 7.25pm, average 2.4m (C4 morning coverage - peak 2.1m, average 1.2m) 

Sky Sports Main Event peak 1.13m, average 550,000 

Combined peak figure for C4 and all Sky channels - 8.3m

 

That just means there are 9.6m cliff richard fans in this country. Royal watchers. And idiots. 

(I quite like tennis by the way. Just being a dick).

 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Europeans (Scots, Irish and Dutch) have now their own T20,

https://et20s.com/schedule/

EURO T20 SLAM 2019 SQUADS (*Denotes Icon Player, **Denotes Marquee Player)

Quote

 

AMSTERDAM KNIGHTS: Shane Watson*, Hasan Ali, Wesley Barresi, Saad Bin Zafar, Philippe Boissevain, Varun Chopra, Ben Cooper, Ben Cutting, Brandon Glover, Alzarri Joseph, Sikandar Raza, Amad Shahzad, Tony Staal, Imran Tahir**, Roelof van der Merwe, Paul Van Meekeren, Tobias Visee, Sikander Zulfiqar

Coach: Mark O'Donnell

BELFAST TITANS: Shahid Afridi*, Mark Adair, JP Duminy**, Shane Getkate, Colin Ingram, Muhammad Ilyas, Andrew McBrine, Mitchell McClenaghan, Muhammad Nawaz, Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Aaron Summers, Greg Thompson, Stuart Thompson, Gary Wilson, Luke Wright, Craig Young

Coach: Ian Pont

DUBLIN CHIEFS: Eoin Morgan*, Mohammad Amir, Babar Azam**, Andrew Balbirnie, Corbin Bosch, Dan Christian, Gareth Delany, Robert Frylinck, Harry Gurney, Tyrone Kane, George Dockrell, Josh Little, Kevin O'Brien, Simi Singh, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker

Coach: Daniel Vettori

EDINBURGH ROCKS: Martin Guptill*, Corey Anderson, Dylan Budge, Kyle Coetzer, Anton Devcich, Oliver Hairs, Matt Henry, Michael Leask, Chris Lynn**, Calum MacLeod, Gavin Main, Tymal Mills, Adrian Neill, Tabraiz Shamsi, Craig Wallace, Mark Watt

Coach: Mark Ramprakash

GLASGOW GIANTS: Brendon McCullum*, Qais Ahmad, Richie Berrington, Ravi Bopara, Scott Cameron, Matthew Cross, Alasdair Evans, Moises Henriques, Michael Jones, Heinrich Klaasen, George Munsey, Safyaan Sharif, Usman Shinwari, JJ Smuts, Tom Sole, Dale Steyn**, Hamza Tahir

Coach: Lance Klusener

ROTTERDAM RHINOS: Rashid Khan*, Shaheen Afridi, Anwar Ali, Bas De Leede, Scott Edwards, Vivian Kingma, Fred Klaassen, Stephan Myburgh, Max O'Dowd, Samit Patel, Luke Ronchi**, Pieter Seelaar, Shane Snater, Peter Trego, Hardus Viljoen, Fakhar Zaman, Saqib Zulfiqar

Coach: Herschelle Gibbs

 

 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Europeans (Scots, Irish and Dutch) have now their own T20,

https://et20s.com/schedule/

EURO T20 SLAM 2019 SQUADS (*Denotes Icon Player, **Denotes Marquee Player)

 

Edinburgh look a decent squad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BrayWyatt said:

Edinburgh look a decent squad.

Gavin Main is still on our books apparently; don't know why as we never see him? MacLeod and Coetzer are of course former Durham players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been thinking about my World Cup XI (well XII as I've included a 12th man). Think I'll go,

Quote

 

Finch (Aus)

Warner (Aus)

R. Sharma (Ind)

K. Williamson* (NZ)

Bairstow (Eng)

Stokes (Eng)

Shakib Al Hasan (Bang)

A. Carey+ (Aus)

Starc (Aus)

L. Ferguson (NZ)

Bumrah (Ind)

12th man: Archer (Eng)

 

Lack of a credible middle order batsmen means Sharma and Williamson dropping down the one, and Bairstow (one-day opener) being converted to the role he occupies in tests, i.e. middle order. The alternative was maybe playing Morgan (only ave 40s) or Buttler (just the one great performance, in final) I suppose, but I have opted for this solution. 

Shame, Root, Roy, Woakes, Amir or that plethora of Kiwi medium pacers (very tempted by CdG, but feel it would stack my team too much with allrounders) miss out.  

Archer comes in if one of my bowlers is crocked. 

Weird how, outside Shakib's glorious all-rounder showing, nobody outside the four semi-finalists made the grade. Shows how these four dominated the competition really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

@DieselDaisy Quick question. Who do you fancy between Surrey v Middlesex T20 tonight?

Here we go, the old gambling addiction rumbles on :lol:  Please Spunko *puts on Winstone voice* gamble responsibly!

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Here we go, the old gambling addiction rumbles on :lol:  Please Spunko *puts on Winstone voice* gamble responsibly!

When the fun stops. Stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

When the fun stops. Stop.

Which often is when the other side are 4-0 up and you realise you're done the electric bill money on an unlikely acca of Chinese Super League teams that you've never heard of that you bet on because one of em recently purchased an over-the-hill ex-superstar who you thought would seal the deal :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Which often is when the other side are 4-0 up and you realise you're done the electric bill money on an unlikely acca of Chinese Super League teams that you've never heard of that you bet on because one of em recently purchased an over-the-hill ex-superstar who you thought would seal the deal :lol:

Or if like me you put £30 on a horse because "it looked fast". It wasn't and it fell over 😂. I never bet on animals anymore because I figure they don't give a fuck whether they win or lose and why should they. At least with a fat Chilean tennis player who is a set down you hope some professional pride kicks in.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spunko12345 said:

Or if like me you put £30 on a horse because "it looked fast". It wasn't and it fell over 😂. I never bet on animals anymore because I figure they don't give a fuck whether they win or lose and why should they. At least with a fat Chilean tennis player who is a set down you hope some professional pride kicks in.

I’ve always maintained that animals are cunts :lol: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

@DieselDaisy Quick question. Who do you fancy between Surrey v Middlesex T20 tonight?

Difficult one that. Across formats, Surrey have been utter garbage this season whereas Middlesex, although beginning the season poorly, are ''on the up''. In this year's T20 Blast format, which is just commencing really, Middlesex are P1 W1 whereas Surrey are P1 L1. Logic then would say Middlesex by a country mile, but I suspect The Oval will be a flat wicket which will suit Surrey. Scorecard wise, you'd probably say Surrey given the star players really. It is mystifying how terrible they have been this season (they won the county championship last season). I think it is a ''Galácticos'' effect.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Difficult one that. Across formats, Surrey have been utter garbage this season whereas Middlesex, although beginning the season poorly, are ''on the up''. In this year's T20 Blast format, which is just commencing really, Middlesex are P1 W1 whereas Surrey are P1 L1. Logic then would say Middlesex by a country mile, but I suspect The Oval will be a flat wicket which will suit Surrey. Scorecard wise, you'd probably say Surrey given the star players really. It is mystifying how terrible they have been this season (they won the county championship last season). I think it is a ''Galácticos'' effect.

 

I put my money on Middlesex. It's 28 degrees and when I saw this was a 18.30 start I thought I'd put it on the radio sit out the garden after work with some beers. I put 50 quid on Middlesex as I read that Surrey have some players missing out playing the England v Ireland match in a few days.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×