GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

1 minute ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

So this thread has turned in to a place where we analyse tweets from fake twitter accounts portraying Axl's cats?
The internet sure is weird...

Yeah, I think this belongs in the Women's thread, lol :lol:

It's all @Frey's fault!

Hahahah... :lol:

well, what does everybody think of those Twitter parody accounts impersonating Axl's cats? 

Some people here believe they are actually ran by Axl..

I think they are all fake, specially because I've seen them retweeting weird stuff in Spanish that would make no sense in Axl's world. But I don't know. If they are real I'll be pretty shocked because one of them recently followed me back and liked one of my replies to them :smiley-confused2:

37 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Hahahah... :lol:

well, what does everybody think of those Twitter parody accounts impersonating Axl's cats? 

Some people here believe they are actually ran by Axl..

I think they are all fake, specially because I've seen them retweeting weird stuff in Spanish that would make no sense in Axl's world. But I don't know. If they are real I'll be pretty shocked because one of them recently followed me back and liked one of my replies to them :smiley-confused2:

Send them a link to this discussion and let's see :ph34r:

plot twist: What if Axl's Twitter is ran by his cats? That would explain the use of emojis and weird language since it's not easy to hit the keys when you're a cat #un42nutzly #whydoesnthavethethirdcatitsownaccount :smiley-confused2:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lumikki said:

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/indy91.htm

Seems like Axl was one of these children who are bright and creative and things come easily to them, but who also have trouble sitting still and are quite immature and insecure. Quite a typical childhood for a lot of musicians and artistic types, really. Still, it's always fascinating to hear the impressions of people who knew him before he was famous.

Thanks for the article. I hadn't read it either. Yeah, I think this describes what he was like as a kid, although, as @stella said, it's quite possible the teachers glossed over the opinion they had of him at the time.

Phil Hurt, his eighth grade cross-country coach, said Rose talked constantly, often proclaiming that someday he would be a success. In response, his teammates once taped his mouth shut and, another time, stuffed him in a locker. )

This quote from the coach is an indication of what he'd been going through at school :(

Q: What happens when you go back [in Indiana] now as a celebrity instead of an outcast?
Axl: ...People I used to go to school with, people that used to hate my guts, want me to invest money in this and that. People say shit like "Axl thinks he's too cool to party with us." But those people never wanted to party with me before. The people who are offended by this comment are the ones who should be.
(http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-rolling-stone-interview-axl-rose-19890810?page=12)

13 hours ago, killuridols said:

He overcame any obstacle, even people who didn't give two bucks for him. He defied everyone and became what he wanted to be, not only that, he became the best at what he wanted to be.

12 hours ago, Lumikki said:

I thought it was impressive that even as a kid, he was telling everyone about how he was going to make it and be a big rock star, and then he actually went and really did it! How many people can say that they actually made their fanciful childhood dreams reality? Not many. (Granted, there's also a certain amount of luck involved, but still...)

He has talked about himself as an example of someone who, against all odds, achieved his goal and made his dream come true. In his speech/rant during the Indiana 1991 concert he said "if you have a dream and your teachers tell you to be reasonable, tell them to fuck off".

14 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Oh Slash :lol::facepalm:  Do you remember when/where Slash said that? And yeah, Axl's behavior always seemed to be much harder to deal with for Izzy than for Slash. Probably because he's had to deal with Axl for a lot longer and was forced to be the "Axl whisperer" as somebody once called it. And Izzy seems to be a more serious type in general. I always laugh when I see pictures of him because his standard expression in more than 90% of his pictures is some variation of concerned, worried or resigned lol.

Thanks for the gif by the way, hadn't seen that one before.

It's in Slash's book. He says he'd thought it was cool Axl jumped in St. Louis but he'd expected that when he came back up they'd continue playing.

Yeah, Izzy is the "no bullshit" type. I don't remember ever seeing Axl putting his arms around Izzy or teasing him on stage like he used to do with Slash and Duff; I guess Izzy wouldn't like this kind of interaction. And even though he knew Axl well, he couldn't deal with his unpredictability; he had that "wtf now" St. Louis expression in a few other occasions, e.g. in Indiana when Axl had a crew member bring a girl on stage and then ordered her to dance during Rocket Queen. Izzy was no saint, of course. I think Kevin Lawrence from Rapidfire said he didn't like Izzy and thought he was a bad influence on Axl.

Btw that incident in Indiana is a minor yet characteristic example of how Axl could treat women. I'm not saying the girl did anything against her will, it's just Axl's tone... And the rest of the band didn't seem to mind about it; on the contrary, Duff enjoyed it and one other (Dizzy?) "encouraged" her to show her breasts.

The gif is from this 1988 concert after You're Crazy (amazing performance) at about 01:17:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVnRWjuUcV4

13 hours ago, stella said:

I agree about Slash and Duff, too. Duff seemed to have a special relationship and understanding of Axl - but he had a lot of his own demons to fight and by the time he got clean and sober, the band had already pretty much splintered away.

That part in That Metal Show always made me sad. He really was convinced everyone else in the band hated him and didn't give a shit about him. If you have one person in a band feeling so alienated from everyone else, then that band is probably automatically doomed. It's even more sad because I don't think they ever truly didn't care about him or hated him (at least with Duff I just can't imagine him not caring about Axl at all). They were just too involved with themselves and too tired of dealing with Axl and so let random other people do the job... and it had pretty awful consequences. <_<

Yeah, it seems they had come to a point when Axl thought the others didn't care about him and Slash and Duff thought he didn't care about them; it was kind of a vicious circle. I agree about Duff. I think Slash cared too, even though he gives the impression that he isn't so much the sensitive and empathetic type; maybe it's because he is too "cool".

I have high hopes for sober and mature Duff nowadays. He could really have a positive influence on Axl.

Maybe he already has. I think the fact that Axl seems more self-confident, open and strong nowadays has something to do with Duff's influence and that Axl admires Duff for what he has accomplished, although he probably won't admit it (and I don't believe he hasn't read Duff's book).

Edited by Blackstar

6 hours ago, killuridols said:

hahahahaaha! very good! :lol:

What's Yulin Festival? Are you mad at Slash? I'm sorry I'm confused at this whole thing! :unsure:

Carly, can I have an animated gif of Axl rolling eyes in the China Exchange forum? Pliz? :D

Yulin festival is a pretty horrible thing where they eat dog meat in China. From what I know about it - and admittedly I have not been able to read a lot, because it makes me physically ill to read about that level of cruelty - the dogs die pretty horribly and painfully. There's some other horrific stuff, like raccoon-dogs getting skinned alive for fur in China. I was idiotic enough to watch an undercover video about that once from someone who had broken into one of the fur farms, and there's no way to unsee those images.

6 hours ago, Lumikki said:

I agree, but in this case I can actually believe it, since Axl himself has said that he was a good student and always in the top 3% grade-wise. And I have no doubt they thought he was a nuisance, most teachers don't deal well with that in my experience.

That part in That Metal Show always made me sad. He really was convinced everyone else in the band hated him and didn't give a shit about him. If you have one person in a band feeling so alienated from everyone else, then that band is probably automatically doomed. It's even more sad because I don't think they ever truly didn't care about him or hated him (at least with Duff I just can't imagine him not caring about Axl at all). They were just too involved with themselves and too tired of dealing with Axl and so let random other people do the job... and it had pretty awful consequences. <_<

Teachers aren't always fond of very bright kids who think outside the box, though - they hate those kids most of all sometimes because they have the power to totally see through the teachers. In the AfD liner notes there's something specifically slamming teachers. I'm guessing maybe it's 50-50, he got along with some of them and some of them are just bullshitting now to build themselves up.

And that's such a tragic thing from the UYI era...that Axl honestly felt that the band hated him and didn't care. In Slash and Duff's book it mentions that Axl was physically separating himself from his bandmates when he was offstage...self-defense mechanism? And then when he lost all those friends and loved ones, and his bandmates too...that must have been beyond devastating for him. If nothing else, I do hope that he's now fully aware how untrue that was - that Slash and Duff didn't hate him. As you said, they were dealing with their own major demons - substance abuse, health issues, I think both of them were married and divorced at least once during the early and mid-90s - and they didn't know how to deal with anything happening with Axl.

4 minutes ago, Padme said:

Well about Shot Down In Flames, at least in London he said. The song was "sad" and it was about his "love life" :lol:

I think he also said that in one of the first shows (like in Seville or Marseille - can't remember in which one, but I remember laughing about it) 

41 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Seems this will be a good day to this thread :wub: Any comments? 

erin.jpg

The coment is more like a question. What Axl meant? Why he made that comment? It seems so out of the blue. I miss the good old days of Sail Away Sweet Sister and Bad Time right before they played SCOM

4 hours ago, dgnr said:

Seems this will be a good day to this thread :wub: Any comments? 

erin.jpg

Well, now I need the gif with Axl rolling his eyes. How many times is she going to mention that he's her ex-husband? :facepalm: 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Well, now I need the gif with Axl rolling his eyes. How many times is she going to mention that he's her ex-husband? :facepalm: 

Agreed. A fake wedding that lasted few months where she was treated like shit by Axl

25 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Is it definitely her, or someone who pretends to be her? Just curious to know, seeing as Instagram and Twitter seems to be full of weirdos who pretend to be someone else....or their pet cat :/ 

10 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Re: The Axl's cats twitter accounts. I'm just... baffled by these. Some of the stuff posted there does seem very Axl-like (writing and spelling-wise, and also his particular brand of very dark, sarcastic humor seems to come through in some posts). And would a random crazy person really care to keep this game up for years? (Okay, no don't answer that, someone out there probably would). On the other hand, some of the stuff does seem very fishy (like the Spanish posts that @killuridols mentioned for example). And I just have a hard time imagining Axl pretending to be his cats and making cutesy weird posts on twitter for years :blink: But then again, he also used one of his cats' names as a username here, likes to talk about them in real life and online too and he's also started making cutesy weird posts on his official twitter. :shrugs:

I don't know...Axl is crazy enough to do that :headbang:. When you're a cat it allows you to say things you can't when you're Axl Rose (I can't believe I wrote something like this :rofl-lol:), even though Axl is very straightforward. Anyway if he was behind these accounts, it would give him more freedom to say whatever he feels :smiley-confused2:. PS: I am a big fan of his sense of humour!

And some more Axl/Izzy cuteness:

16a2d95b0b9c294fa8a9c20fd086485d.jpg

tumblr_m458zg1Smc1row1nbo1_500.gif

24457cc92dc443ebd20d34546e793403.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Hard to imagine why Izzy is not involved in the reunion. I really don't think Slash and Duff have a problem with him :shrugs:

If it really is true that he expected to get paid the same as the other three for the reunion, without doing the same level of work behind the scenes...unfortunately I can understand why he was left out.