Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

It's not so much about the graphics themselves as much as the render capabilities. Things just look blurry. Good hardware for running a Nintendo 64 to HDMI natively exists but it is expensive. Plugging in via A/V just looks terrible on a 4K TV. Doesn't stop me from playing GoldenEye regularly, but I'm not going to say it looks good. Text is the biggest victim.

I remember picking up my N64 on March 1st 1997 (UK release). I'd pre-ordered it with Mario 64 and Pilotwings and I spent all morning calling the game store to see if the delivery had arrived. Finally got a call just after lunch to say it was in so ran down to the store to pick it up. Was told that they didn't get enough stock in of Pilotwings so I could have Mario and a refund or for another £10 I could have this a few days early.

Absolutely played it to death and thought it looked absolutely stunning. Clearly it's not aged all that well visually but the framerate still blows Goldeneye out of the water. 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I remember picking up my N64 on March 1st 1997 (UK release). I'd pre-ordered it with Mario 64 and Pilotwings and I spent all morning calling the game store to see if the delivery had arrived. Finally got a call just after lunch to say it was in so ran down to the store to pick it up. Was told that they didn't get enough stock in of Pilotwings so I could have Mario and a refund or for another £10 I could have this a few days early.

Absolutely played it to death and thought it looked absolutely stunning. Clearly it's not aged all that well visually but the framerate still blows Goldeneye out of the water. 

turok, i find, has great level design with lots of exploration and secrets. for the longest time, I compared every new game's level design to turok 1, and most games didn't achieve that standard

and absolutely badass weaponry. the minigun, the grenade launcher, and probably the best shotgun ever in a game. I find these weapons all share a remarkable similarity to the weapons used by arnie in terminator 2

Edited by action

5 minutes ago, action said:

turok, i find, has great level design with lots of exploration and secrets. for the longest time, I compared every new game's level design to turok 1, and most games didn't achieve that standard

and absolutely badass weaponry. the minigun, the grenade launcher, and probably the best shotgun ever in a game. I find these weapons all share a remarkable similarity to the weapons used by arnie in terminator 2

The Chronosceptre was absolutely badass if you managed to find all the pieces (or use the cheat code :lol: ). Turok 2 with the RAM expansion was pretty good too.

I owned the N64 soon after it was released.  But honestly, I can't remember anything other than Mario 64, Wave Race 64, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  

I know I owned other games (actually, I think I still have them in a bin somewhere along with the original system), but I couldn't tell you what they were.  

• 2 weeks later...

the switch is easily nintendo's best console, ever.

This just hit me again today when I fired up my trusted old nintendo 64 for mario 64. that game has awful camera work combined dodgy, unforgiving level design. Compared to the timeless super mario world, I don't feel mario 64 has aged very well. it's better in my mind than it is in reality.

For the longest time the switch lacked a great old skool shooter and arcade racer though. But with the turok and doom remasters, and burnout coming, this void is easily filled. And with updated street fighter and mortal kombat games, I dont see how the switch could possibly be better.

what a time to be a nintendo fan.

54 minutes ago, action said:

This just hit me again today when I fired up my trusted old nintendo 64 for mario 64. that game has awful camera work combined dodgy, unforgiving level design. Compared to the timeless super mario world, I don't feel mario 64 has aged very well. it's better in my mind than it is in reality.

I've gotta say that I think Mario 64 has aged really well. I think it actually stands out as one of the few games from that early 3D era that do still stand the test of time. 

• Like 1

I'd agree. I don't find Mario 64 as clunky as most other N64/PS1 games, but it's also not something I feel like playing anymore. I'm kind of over my whole nostalgia phase of gaming. I'd rather just play Odyssey.

That said, the camera work in 64 is indeed atrocious but most games from that era suffered from the same problem.

10 hours ago, Dazey said:

I've gotta say that I think Mario 64 has aged really well. I think it actually stands out as one of the few games from that early 3D era that do still stand the test of time. 

the level design is somewhat funky though, in a bad way. there are pitfalls for no good reason, case in point the first snow level. And because of the camera work, it's not always apparant there is a pitfall.

a simple task like saving that baby penguin becomes unnecessarily frustrating because of this. 

now don't get me wrong. the atmosphere, the color palette, the music, the creativity: all unmatched to this day. 

odyssey's somewhat friendly difficulty compared to mario 64, doesn't seem like such a  bad thing anymore

12 hours ago, Dazey said:

That looks absolutely terrible. It's like a bad Serious Sam clone from 2002. :lol: 

a wisecracking sexy woman with a "dont mess with me" look in her eyes, shooting aliens and space robots. that's marriage material right there.

• 3 months later...

Loads of cool things happening for Mario 35th anniversary. Don't have the link handy but there's a 15 minute Nintendo Direct video that came out yesterday.

I'm considering buying the All Stars 3D bundle (Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy) but not sure I want to drop $90 CAD for 3 old games.

Edited by Coma16

i've got 3D all stars pre ordered. I hate this limited availability nonsense, so stressfull.

that said, 60 bucks is a steal for three games that provide endless replayability. I don't know how many times I played mario 64, but I'll happily play it another time. And another time. it never gets old, it's such a magical world the mushroom kingdom. Just goofing around is satisfying in and of itself. Can't say the same about stuff like yooka laylee.

6 hours ago, action said:

i've got 3D all stars pre ordered. I hate this limited availability nonsense, so stressfull.

that said, 60 bucks is a steal for three games that provide endless replayability. I don't know how many times I played mario 64, but I'll happily play it another time. And another time. it never gets old, it's such a magical world the mushroom kingdom. Just goofing around is satisfying in and of itself. Can't say the same about stuff like yooka laylee.

They said the same thing with the All Stars remaster for the Wii didn't they? And that was available long after and fairly easy to come by for cheap. That said, I also pre-ordered for the same reason. I want the physical copy and don't want to risk the availability thing.

Admittedly I'm slightly disappointed that the games are only HD ports with some control enhancements. I was drooling over the thought of a fully remastered Mario 64 but alas. As long as they fixed the camera I'll be happy enough to have it in HD on a modern console.

• 2 weeks later...

The Switch is a frustrating console for me. I think the hardware is superb and the flagship games (Smash Ultimate, Breath of the Wild, and Odyssey) are landmark games for Nintendo, but the lack of big hitters is noted. Metroid 4 and another Zelda should help out, but their big new releases have been far and few in between. Even the main Mario Kart for Switch is a remake.

I was also very excited for the Switch for the ability to play past gen Nintendo games I missed. This would have been a monster if there was a comprehensive virtual console for N64-WiiU. The NES and SNES ones are half baked but I have played around with those a bit.

I pre-ordered Mario All Stars because I barely played Sunshine (my friend had it when we were younger) and missed Galaxy completely. It's still over priced and it's lame how it's limited but it's something at least. I wish I could play Zelda and Metroid games I missed. I know it's not up to a current gen console to provide you with old gen games, but since Nintendo games are only offered on their consoles, that would really benefit users since many don't have previous consoles. It would definitely help considering the Switch doesn't have a huge first party catalog or third party support.

I definitely like the Switch, and we are getting decent use out of it. I just think it could be better. 

7 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

The Switch is a frustrating console for me. I think the hardware is superb and the flagship games (Smash Ultimate, Breath of the Wild, and Odyssey) are landmark games for Nintendo, but the lack of big hitters is noted. Metroid 4 and another Zelda should help out, but their big new releases have been far and few in between. Even the main Mario Kart for Switch is a remake.

I was also very excited for the Switch for the ability to play past gen Nintendo games I missed. This would have been a monster if there was a comprehensive virtual console for N64-WiiU. The NES and SNES ones are half baked but I have played around with those a bit.

I pre-ordered Mario All Stars because I barely played Sunshine (my friend had it when we were younger) and missed Galaxy completely. It's still over priced and it's lame how it's limited but it's something at least. I wish I could play Zelda and Metroid games I missed. I know it's not up to a current gen console to provide you with old gen games, but since Nintendo games are only offered on their consoles, that would really benefit users since many don't have previous consoles. It would definitely help considering the Switch doesn't have a huge first party catalog or third party support.

I definitely like the Switch, and we are getting decent use out of it. I just think it could be better. 

I hear you

the swith is something of a greatest hits of video games console to me. It has many great classic games from a variety of consoles of nintendo and even playstation.

But yeah, don't buy this for big budget current games.

but as long as you are aware what you're subscribing to, there is a lot to enjoy here in terms of legacy content, now with HD resolution, a variety of control options including an official version of the snes and gamecube controllers, and portability. the Doom games, duke nukem, turok, outrun, commander keen, final fantasy, skyrim, witcher III, mortal kombat, street fighter, resident evil 4, burnout paradise, grid autosport, wolfenstein, devil may cry 3 special edition, capcom beat em up collection, wild guns, sunset riders, contra collection, castlevania collection, saints row the third, V rally 4, shadow man, star wars racer, star wars jedi outcast. All the best WiiU games have been ported with deluxe versions of these games. the amount of mario games on this thing is unseen for a nintendo console. Likewise, with the zelda franchise. Breath of the wild, links awakening, a sequel to the first one, the hyrule warriors games,... metroid is coming.

the prices of these games are, most of the times, too high. The key is to wait for deals.

Personally, I'm not missing current AAA games. I gladly pass for the latest call of duty, and other microtransactions / service based games. These games frustrate me too much with their money grabbing marketing models.

7 minutes ago, action said:

I hear you

the swith is something of a greatest hits of video games console to me. It has many great classic games from a variety of consoles of nintendo and even playstation.

But yeah, don't buy this for big budget current games.

but as long as you are aware what you're subscribing to, there is a lot to enjoy here in terms of legacy content, now with HD resolution, a variety of control options including an official version of the snes and gamecube controllers, and portability. the Doom games, duke nukem, turok, outrun, commander keen, final fantasy, skyrim, witcher III, mortal kombat, street fighter, resident evil 4, burnout paradise, grid autosport, wolfenstein, devil may cry 3 special edition, capcom beat em up collection, wild guns, sunset riders, contra collection, castlevania collection, saints row the third, V rally 4, shadow man, star wars racer, star wars jedi outcast. All the best WiiU games have been ported with deluxe versions of these games. the amount of mario games on this thing is unseen for a nintendo console. Likewise, with the zelda franchise. Breath of the wild, links awakening, a sequel to the first one, the hyrule warriors games,... metroid is coming.

the prices of these games are, most of the times, too high. The key is to wait for deals.

Personally, I'm not missing current AAA games. I gladly pass for the latest call of duty, and other microtransactions / service based games. These games frustrate me too much with their money grabbing marketing models.

If I'm wanting to play AAA games I'll always get them on PC if they're available. I use my PS4 Pro and XBox One for exclusives only because not only are multi platform games usually better on the PC but they're much cheaper as well. If you google Game name Steam Code you can save a fortune. Got the new Mortal Kombat for about £10 vs the £40 list price.

got a physical copy of 3d all stars.

I'm beyond stoked. I'm gonna teach my son a little mario history lesson this evening.

Let me just take the opportunity to point out that I have never been more satisfied with a nintendo console than with the switch.

I always thought the snes and N64 couldn't  be topped, but then the switch happened. what a time to be alive.