British Politics

Gracii Guns

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh, I see. My rock trivia is limited to skimming UCR... barely even fear a RS magazine feature these days.

its cool that Gilmore has put his significant wealth to use by donating at least 20 million to fight climate change!!

I used to love Floyd but crikey, I find them pretentious now. Artsy fartsy studenty masturbation. 

1 minute ago, soon said:

I think there’s an argument to be made that calling Pink Floyd pretentious is pretentious.

I remember reading an interview with Waters where he is going on about ''walls'', ''walls of the subconscious'', and thinking to myself, ''this is a long way removed from Chuck Berry!''. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I remember reading an interview with Waters where he is going on about ''walls'', ''walls of the subconscious'', and thinking to myself, ''this is a long way removed from Chuck Berry!''. 

Yet early rock was about breaking through societies walls and sub conscious walls to a greater freedom. In that regard it seems like one flows to the other rather naturally?

now playing a live improvised jam “interpreting” the moon landing... yeah that’s a bit something.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Lorry drivers stuck in Brexit traffic jams may cause rise in ‘dogging’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lorry-drivers-stuck-in-brexit-traffic-jams-may-cause-rise-in-dogging-m3x927fhf

What’s this, the truckers will leave their vehicles in the middle of a gridlocked street to visit a peep show?? :lol:

yeah, maybe day one, but I’m pretty sure that would quickly turn into the sex workers approaching them on their trucks. They’ll have a roll in the cab.

either scenario is a brexiteer argument of course  - the boom to the sex industry!

1 hour ago, soon said:

What’s this, the truckers will leave their vehicles in the middle of a gridlocked street to visit a peep show?? :lol:

yeah, maybe day one, but I’m pretty sure that would quickly turn into the sex workers approaching them on their trucks. They’ll have a roll in the cab.

either scenario is a brexiteer argument of course  - the boom to the sex industry!

Dogging means sex in public. A certain forum member from Croydon who is no longer with us used to be a practitioner.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Dogging means sex in public. A certain forum member from Croydon who is no longer with us used to be a practitioner.

Yeah, cause all those ladies just waiting around parks for long haul truckers to come indulge the in some public coitus? :lol:

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It's confusing, because in Scotland, it means playing truant. Can lead to some English adults getting a horrifyingly wrong impression about kids' misadventures.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Dazey said:

This is a perfect example of your average Brexiter.

He could be using the term ''Empire'' (from Latin, imperium) in its original connotation designating an area of (nation-state) sovereignty and centralised government. Indeed, the term was used by Henrician England when it split from the papacy: ''this realm of England is an empire'' (Act in Restraint of Appeals, 1533). This usage of the term ''empire'' would align thoroughly with today's Brexit since England didn't possess foreign diktats, 1534-1973.

Generally the items that separate Anglo-British history from continental history is firstly the degree of national independence, established far earlier and on far surer footing than upon the continent, and secondly (and related) the rise of the nation-state which occurred far earlier in England than elsewhere. The Tudors established the world's first centralised national polity, jurisprudence, taxation, governance, (and more debatable) cultural, whilst the continent still had feudalism-seigneurialism (and for the Catholic states, allegiance to the Curia). It took circa 250 years (i.e. the French Revolution, 1789) before similar nation-statist currents proliferated across the European mainland. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He could be using the term ''Empire'' (from Latin, imperium) in its original connotation designating an area of (nation-state) sovereignty and centralised government. Indeed, the term was used by Henrician England when it split from the papacy: ''this realm of England is an empire'' (Act in Restraint of Appeals, 1533). This usage of the term ''empire'' would align thoroughly with today's Brexit since England didn't possess foreign diktats, 1534-1973.

Generally the items that separates Anglo-British history from continental history is firstly the degree of national independence, established far earlier and on far surer footing than upon the continent, and secondly (and related) the rise of the nation-state which occurred far earlier in England than elsewhere. The Tudors established the world's first centralised national polity, jurisprudence, taxation, governance, (more debatable) cultural, whilst the continent still had feudalism-seigneurialism (and for the Catholic states, allegiance to the Curia). It took circa 250 years (i.e. the French Revolution) before similar nation-statist currents proliferated across the European mainland. 

Yeah you're right. THAT guy was really using the term in the context of the original latin. :lol: 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Yeah you're right. THAT guy was really using the term in the context of the original latin. :lol: 

Statute in Restraint of Appeals was in plain English. You can read it yourself: https://archive.org/stream/cu31924030504322/cu31924030504322_djvu.txt.

Edited by DieselDaisy

The people who seem to be obsessed with ''empire'' are remainers - and of course, Guy Verhofstadt the ''Darth Vader of the EU'' loves a bit of ''empire''. I don't know any leave supporters who, by opting for leave, believe the empire - an empire of some description? (where is this empire supposed to come from?) - will fall into their lap. That chap is obviously a bit lacking in brain matter. Firstly Britain has no literal means of acquiring an empire considering our armed forces do not exceed 200,000. Secondly, Britain decolonised because she neither could sustain, nor had the political will for maintaining empire. Thirdly, Britain is a signatory of numerous international charters and bodies which espouse self-determination and peacefully resolved decolonisation, The Atlantic Charter, the UN, the Council of Europe, etc.   

It is 99.9% remainer tripe. The rotund chap above, with ironically the Guinness, is the 0.1%.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

He's literally 9 out of 10 fellas in the boozers in Teesside. 

I'll concede the anti-migrant, perhaps racist, point but are these guys really sitting around going, ''yes, we'll get wos empire back''? ''We'll attack the 13 colonies first, then India, followed by Australasia and Canada''? To quote Boris, utter poppycock. Remember I drink in Tyneside-Northumberland boozers so I know what I'm talking about.

I have my own theory on why that couldn't happen, in that the fruits of empire did not filter down to the working classes. The working classes were forced to undergo the industrial revolution, factories, hideous house, poor sanitation, whilst the Victorian Empire was at the height of its pomp and splendor. The middle and upper classes were the beneficiaries of empire. 

That is why, when the empire collapsed, there was barely a tear. The working classes had little attachment to empire. You could argue - a Marxist historian certainly would - that they were its victims even.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'll concede the anti-migrant, perhaps racist, point but are these guys really sitting around going, ''yes, we'll get wos empire back''? ''We'll attack the 13 colonies first, then India, followed by Australasia and Canada''? To quote Boris, utter poppycock. Remember I drink in Tyneside-Northumberland boozers so I know what I'm talking about.

I have my own theory on why that couldn't happen, in that the fruits of empire did not filter down to the working classes. The working classes were forced to undergo the industrial revolution, factories, hideous house, poor sanitation, whilst the Victorian Empire was at the height of its pomp and splendor. The middle and upper classes were the beneficiaries of empire. 

That is why, when the empire collapsed, there was barely a tear. The working classes had little attachment to empire. You could argue - a Marxist historian certainly would - that they were its victims even.

So you'll concede that 90% of Brexiters are fat racist knuckle draggers but dispute their grasp of British colonial history? Well at least we agree on something for once. :lol: 

• Haha 1