Pedrolg

The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

8 hours ago, Axeli said:

We need Axl/Dc Live album. Fuck me that sounds good..

Who gives a fuck about axl/dc?

I've always found ac/dc boring as shit, formulaic and extremely derivative. But it seems like Axl has found his comfort zone there.

I couldn't care less.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tremolo said:

I've always found ac/dc boring as shit, formulaic and extremely derivative. But it seems like Axl has found his comfort zone there.

I couldn't care less.

I despise AC/DC for the most part but even I have to admit that Axl sounded stunningly good with them. I can deny it all I want, but if they put out a live album with him on vox, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I think what is happening with axl  has nothing to do with his weight or lack of rehearsals, the main problem is that probably he did a surgery on his vocal chords.

he can sing with rasp, but he avoid it, he prefers to use his clean voice and falsetto, maybe he does it just to don't damage more his vocal chords.

Axl is known for doing the things in his own way, and he is stubborn, people talked to much that he sounds like mickey, so he decided to sound like this, to show us he don't give a f....

there are many diehard fans complaining about the setlist, so he decided to make a static setlist.

there are many reasons of why axl's voice sound like this, it could be a surgery, lack of rehearsals, or he dont give a f...., or he is stubborn, but the real reason only Axl and people that lives near him really knows.

• Thanks 1

You can literally hear his voice give way in that Coma performance at the end and he has to drop down to his natural chest voice briefly before going back to classic rasp. THIS is why Axl is using the rasp sparingly, simply put his voice is too worn and tired to handle too much of it. The 1991 comparison is perhaps a good one, except if he loses his voice this time, I doubt it will come back like it has in the past in quite the same way due to his age.

3 hours ago, tremolo said:

I couldn't care less.

How old are u?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jockethebastard said:

Coma from Chile last night was truly something else! Yes he brought the rasp, but the performance sounded terrible. No control and lots of and very gritty sounding voice, reminds me of his struggle back in 91. 

this is from 2016 :question:

• Haha 1

Not sure what to think - he goes from a career worst performance of Coma some days back in Rio to one of the best renditions of Coma this year. 

Why does he sound so worn out in Rio but sounds relatively on point with the last two shows? Was he sick or what?

4 hours ago, tremolo said:

I couldn't care less.

Very generic cock rock band like Van Halen. Nowhere near Guns imho let alone the greats like The Stones. 

4 hours ago, jockethebastard said:

Coma from Chile last night was truly something else! Yes he brought the rasp, but the performance sounded terrible. No control and lots of and very gritty sounding voice, reminds me of his struggle back in 91. 

Thats from last year, not last night

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

his voice is terrible 

He's way better than past performances, friends of mine who saw bon jovi the past week were praising Axl for singing all of the songs and giving his best at this show, Bon Jovi couldnt even dare to sing fucking always.

30 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

He's way better than past performances, friends of mine who saw bon jovi the past week were praising Axl for singing all of the songs and giving his best at this show, Bon Jovi couldnt even dare to sing fucking always.

I need Axl to attack PC like this 

at 3:00...the energy is just there. The current version seems so dead

from 5:50 on is incredible! The energy when he goes all in like this is unreal 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Even on 2014 last shows he was singing better. Listen to yesterdays 

Because he knows that's how it's suppose to sound

2 hours ago, David Americo said:

I think that axl singing the way we like is what fuck up his voice and makes his clean voice even uglier. a guy I know said that even though his performances with AC/DC were amazing he should not be singing like that if he wants to carry on being a singer and singing like mickey is the most prudent thing he can do.

maybe it would be great if after the end of the tour they recorded an album mostly with lower register singing style and made a tour focused mostly on these new songs. axl has provided enough performance of old songs for us after all.

It shouldn't have to be Mickey or Bust...there are ways of singing that don't make you sound weak but also aren't tearing the vocal chords. I thought he showed an ability to use that middle ground on much of the Bon material 

Some great examples of what he could do without going to the top of his range 

I'm sure Axl read the comments on his AC/DC shows. Many of which saying "why can't he sing this way for gnr" I don't think Axl has no clue. He knows what he sounds like. The reason for Mickey is a mystery we might never solve. It's just shocking he can be on rhythm/in tune/key with rasp but with Mickey he is all over the place and sounds like your everyday person trying to sing in their car. 

Edited by IncitingChaos

Plus this one blows me away. The similarities between Axl's voice and Bon's voice here is amazing 

Axl picked up on every small nuance that Bon does on this song and applied it to his performance. That right there shows the level of work he put into this 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Plus this one blows me away. The similarities between Axl's voice and Bon's voice here is amazing 

Axl picked up on every small nuance that Bon does on this song and applied it to his performance. That right there shows the level of work he put into this 

Axl on fire there, but the crowd is lame. 

Gn`r really needs a break now. Too long tour. Too bad they fucked up that Rio. Even though the mixing sounds always bad in Rio videos. For example Download festival have much better sound in videos.

19 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Since I know nothing about voice and stuff, is he using his mid range voice during "I Feel Good" ?

He's using a version of it. It's not all out top of his range screaming like the Back in Black material he did with AC/DC but also not a soft Patience like voice. It just falls in the middle and istead of using his falsetto or head voice he opts for a chest voice that he can project louder/fuller. One advantage this gives him is the ability to hit those sharp notes that you hear without rasp on parts of the song. 

Those two voices (rasp to a sharp piercing note) are a deadly good combination for someone with Axl's voice. A true shame he won't/can't use it more 

transition of voices from 1:01-1:07 is beautiful

plus everything after 2:55 is something special 

Edited by IncitingChaos

5 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

He's using a version of it. It's not all out top of his range screaming like the Back in Black material he did with AC/DC but also not a soft Patience like voice. It just falls in the middle and istead of using his falsetto or head voice he opts for a chest voice that he can project louder/fuller. One advantage this gives him is the ability to hit those sharp notes that you hear without rasp on parts of the song. 

Those two voices (rasp to a sharp piercing note) are a deadly good combination for someone with Axl's voice. A true shame he won't/can't use it more 

Ok thank you! I was just wondering, and like you said it's a true shame but won't or can't, I guess the only one who can answer it's Axl
I don't know if he would last long, using that voice for a 3h30 show every 2 nights, and if he actually could, I don't know if there is someone in gnr camp with enough guts or power to tell him to use that voice or to rehearse correctly, to get in shape
Anyway thanks