THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

Just now, killuridols said:

You want to change the FIFA system to get rid of garbage teams and make it all pure, when football is the most fucked up game. That's what I am saying :lol:

I have never said I want to change the system. In fact, I have written posts about me being partial to how it is currently done. 

You said that the system isn't unfair ("I don't see anything unfair about it"); I have tried to make you understand how European teams might find it unfair that other regions are overrepresented (when looking at quality). And you have expressed ignorance about how FIFA favors teams from certain regions ("How is Fifa's fault if some of the good teams do not get to a WC"); I have tried explaining how FIFA operates with quotas on teams from different confederations that are not purely based on quality of teams but also on a desire to have world-wide presence and to promote football across the world.

This England team are actually the first England team in awhile that are quite likable. They're a bit, ''keeping it real bros, yous playing the beautiful game maaan, innit?'' (they basically are quite a few players that talk like Len), but with no Golden Balls, Ashley Cole, John Terry or Wayne Rooney in sight, it is refreshing - saying that Ashley Young is still playing, a member (no pun intended) of the todger out on webcam club!!

No WAGS either. Remember the WAGS parading around Baden Baden in 2006?

No doubt they'll drunkenly crash a few Lamborghinis and rodger a plethora of skanky prostitutes (and each other's wives) in due course, but for now they are too young to have developed such traits. 

• Like 2

Just now, ChristmasFnatic said:

But who do you think will be in the finals?

Germany were my favourites before it began, and despite what has happened, I still think they might be there or there abouts. Even when the Germans are shite they usually still make the final. Then there is Spain and Portugal Ronaldo. 

Wasn't overly impressed with Brazil to be honest. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You said that the system isn't unfair ("I don't see anything unfair about it"); I have tried to make you understand how European teams might find it unfair that other regions are overrepresented (when looking at quality)

I do understand why European teams might find it unfair and I asked you if you really believe that Europe is underrepresented in the WC. I got no answer....

My opinion is that you are very well represented and wanting more is just greed. Also, its probably due to a lack of unity among Europeans, like if your country is not in, you cannot be happy for the other teams from your region that did make it.

25 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I do understand why European teams might find it unfair and I asked you if you really believe that Europe is underrepresented in the WC. I got no answer....

I found it irrelevant and an attempt at changing the topic. I have already been very clear about acknowledging the benefits of a world cup that actually encompasses teams from the whole world, but also that in doing so, teams in some confederations, including UEFA, will find the qualification more challenging than teams in more favored regions who meet weaker opposition.

As I said quite many posts ago: There are two principally different approaches to world cup qualifications, (1) you either go with some existing ranking (like taking the 32 teams with the best FIFA ranking), or (2) you decide that you want this to be a world-wide celebration of football so you make rules that ensure that every confederation is well represented, even if that means that the tournament will not consist of only the best teams.

Again, in case you missed it, I lean towards the latter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Great match of Colombia. They will beat England in the finals. I said it.

Lots of people, had Columbia knocking out England in the last 16 in the pre-Tourny predictions including me. The only thing that makes me doubt it now, is it that almost seems too obvious.

Edited by AtariLegend

24 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

So Poland is the first European team eliminated? Damn.

They were awful.

No wonder Columbia play such attractive passing-attacking football. Jose Pekerman. Argentina basically cut off its own testicles letting him go. Remember this,

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They were awful.

No wonder Columbia play such attractive passing-attacking football. Jose Pekerman. Argentina basically cut off its own testicles letting him go. Remember this,

Yeah. I kinda feel sad for Poland, cuz I got a couple of Poland friends, but a part of me is happy cuz I got a Polish ex. lol

6 hours ago, killuridols said:

I think that the kid in Tunisia will need more help from his own country than FiFA :shrugs:

I dont know how it is in the rest of the world but in Argentina, children start playing football at very early age. There are football schools and clubs where you can go try yourself. There are also small playfields in neighborhoods and local/regional tournaments for children.

The development of a sport it is in the hands of the governments and communities. If they dont help you when you are a child, you won't stand a chance.

Do you consider Europe is not well represented in the WC?

I can see why someone feels it is unfair for the hard working people and Asia gets spots for their mediocre teams but football is an unfair game as much as it is so simple.

If you want quality to prevail, that's understandable but then you have this "luck" factor that it is kind of big in football.... like u can be Germany and you can be Tunisia and in the last minute score that point that will put the crown in your head, no matter the quality of your game. 

We are assisting lots of matches where that luck factor is decisive sometimes and with this I mean, you can aim for depuration of garbage teams but there will always be a garbage team that will stand a chance. 

I guess it was more a general point about kids wanting or liking football extending that to the whole couuntry culture to government or business that set up leagues or give a shit. The allure of going to WC must stimulate the smaller countries to try. Being inclusive helps football dominate the world. The smaller countries compete between themselves for the glory of going to WC. If you are a Tunisis player just going to the WC is a dream come true. 

We’ve seen development from Japan, African sides. Cameron got to semis one year. Mexico is sort of helping USA develop MLS. 

But if A player from Panama shows promise like Rodriquez left wing maybe Championship team in England take him. And that strengths Tunisian football. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

They are just happy to be there. lol. Their debut afterall.

He was nice after his players had cropped a load of English players. Lingard was a target. 

I think after a few goals went in he called them off. But they were still looking for afters. Fair enough but don’t act like you friends now. 

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Lots of people, had Columbia knocking out England in the last 16 in the pre-Tourny predictions including me. The only thing that makes me doubt it now, is it that almost seems too obvious.

I could see that. England are soft in the middle. A big physical side could beat them 1-0, 2-0.