THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

53 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Well, that attacking foul was disastrous call from ref, and don't get it why no VAR there...

And your team was great for first 45 minutes but 2nd half was just bad... 

You just have to win agains Neymar & co. - if they play like 1st 2 games you have a chance...

I downloaded the game and watched only the ref calls. Literally all of the bad calls in a game were against Mitrovic, at least 5 non calls or attacking fouls including that penalty. 21 other players had fair treatment. I couldn't figure out what happened between him and the referee but something must've :lol: 

I'm glad he didn't go after like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaKk8vBiCPw

Edited by Nicklord

37 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Damn. Germany controls the ball most of the time.

And they win true German style... One man down, last minute of injury time, stupid foul on the edge of the box and rest is history...

Just now, AtariLegend said:

...And if you believe the UK tabloids, Madrid want to sell Toni Kroos and Luka Modric to City and Spurs for the funds to buy Raheem Sterling.

Well, Modric is 33, but they should keep Kroos...

And Sterling is not RealMadrid level...

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

La Boca is the neighborhood and Boca Juniors is the team.

Yes, their stadium is still in La Boca.

Yeah, that’s what I meant - the area. If I recall, Genoese was a main language in the area. Is the neighbourhood ‘Italian’?

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

Edited by Juventino
Double post

14 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Yeah, that’s what I meant - the area. If I recall, Genoese was a main language in the area. Is the neighbourhood ‘Italian’?

La Bombonera of course?

Apparently going to a Superclasico makes an Old Firm derby look a sedate game of Crown Bowls. 

3 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

@wasted your Germany might not make it!

You under estimate Germany at your peril. 

I think what it is is they have very attacking wing backs which is leaving them exposed. Maybe they hope to blow the lower teams away. But once in 16 I expected they will be tighter. 

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

There is an Argie fan that made a prediction on April 3rd and it has gone viral in the last hours

"I will leave this message here for when the time comes. In the WC we will start with the left foot, many problems will put us in danger of being eliminated in first round.

For starters, sort of a draw with Island and defeated by Croatia. Next, a magical awakening with Nigeria will leave us in the round of 16. To the quarter finals we will get by thrashing.

We will reach Semi-final as super candidates because the big teams will be eliminated. In semis we will fight tooth and claws to get a 2-2 draw and define it by penalties. We win.

In the final..... I'll keep it to myself."

:lol:

It’s possible but Nigeria look solid. 

I just think if they can keep a clean sheet Messi Aguero can get a goal. Don’t get involved in an end to end game. 

20 hours ago, killuridols said:

Brazil is always a possibility :shrugs:

There was one WC where they were playing almost defensively. Then the last one it was David Luis. 

But now they have added to Neymar and they have strength in mid and defence. 

2 hours ago, Juventino said:

I havent been there in more than a decade but from what I recall is as South American as it can get.

Not a place I'd choose to take a walk around expecting to see unicorns and rainbows :lol:

There are some picturesque houses of many different colors and stores where you can buy some memorabilia of Boca, Maradona and Argentina.

You could use Google Street View to check it out.

4 hours ago, killuridols said:

I havent been there in more than a decade but from what I recall is as South American as it can get.

Not a place I'd choose to take a walk around expecting to see unicorns and rainbows :lol:

There are some picturesque houses of many different colors and stores where you can buy some memorabilia of Boca, Maradona and Argentina.

You could use Google Street View to check it out.

Ah I see. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Juventino said:

Ah I see. Thanks!

To be honest, I'm not sure what you are expecting or looking for.

I have never been to anywhere in Italy so I am clueless what Italian neighborhood looks like :shrugs:

All I can tell about La Boca is that it is a major tourist attraction for foreigners but to me it is just a bunch of old conventillos painted in many different colors and surrounded by memorabilia stores and places to eat/drink, mostly designed for tourism needs than for locals.

Im not even sure if real people still live in those houses... there is a main little street called Caminito where the tourists concentrate for taking their pictures, buying souvenirs and watching some street tango dancers... and there's the port behind and an old bridge.

Ive heard from American tourist that La Boca resembles New Orleans.... but I can't confirm that either :P

Edited by killuridols

43 minutes ago, killuridols said:

To be honest, I'm not sure what you are expecting or looking for.

I have never been to anywhere in Italy so I am clueless what Italian neighborhood looks like :shrugs:

All I can tell about La Boca is that it is a major tourist attraction for foreigners but to me it is just a bunch of old conventillos painted in many different colors and surrounded by memorabilia stores and places to eat/drink, mostly designed for tourism needs than for locals.

Im not even sure if real people still live in those houses... there is a main little street called Caminito where the tourists concentrate for taking their pictures, buying souvenirs and watching some street tango dancers... and there's the port behind and an old bridge.

Ive heard from American tourist that La Boca resembles New Orleans.... but I can't confirm that either :P

Well there were a whole lot of migrants from Genoa to La Boca and I've read that Genoese is still an oft-spoken language in the area (but maybe that has died down in recent years?), so thought it might have a bunch of restuarants, etc.

But anyway, back to the football - I'd like to see Uruguay go far. I don't think it will happen though. Argentina are another I'd like to see do well but they are all over the place at the moment. Here's hoping Brazil, Germany and England don't win.

Edited by Juventino
Added to post

7 hours ago, wasted said:

You under estimate Germany at your peril. 

I think what it is is they have very attacking wing backs which is leaving them exposed. Maybe they hope to blow the lower teams away. But once in 16 I expected they will be tighter. 

Agree. At this point, just wanna see a rematch between Brasil and Germany!

Edited by ChristmasFnatic

16 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Well there were a whole lot of migrants from Genoa to La Boca and I've read that Genoese is still an oft-spoken language in the area (but maybe that has died down in recent years?), so thought it might have a bunch of restuarants, etc.

Italian immigrants are not exclusive of La Boca or Buenos Aires. In the beginning, when they arrived, the majority of them established themselves there for obvious reasons, but as years went by, they moved around and got spread in the whole country. So you will find Italian immigrants and their offsprings (4th or 5th generation) anywhere you go in Argentina.

Italians have influenced our culture as much as the Spaniards and our accent is pretty distinctive because it sounds Italian, with the entonation and words that were incorporated to the speech.

It is possible that Genoese is spoken among the original immigrants that might still be alive or in inner circles of Italian descent but Spanish is the official language and there aren't any other alternative languages that are being officially used.

English is the mandatory foreign language taught in schools/Universities. Some dialects are still spoken by the very few groups of natives (or indigenous) that still resist in some areas. Other languages like Welsh and German are spoken by members of their communities but none of them are allowed to be used in official communications.

Yes, there are places to eat in La Boca but I wouldn't expect them to be "Italian gourmet restaurants". Please bear in mind this place is a working class neighborhood, with a history of poor immigration trying to make ends meet, living in conventillos, which are basically buildings hosting a whole family in one single room. There aren't as many of them as when the immigrants arrived (year 1900) but there are still some that remain in the same poorly conditions.

1 hour ago, Juventino said:

But anyway, back to the football - I'd like to see Uruguay go far. I don't think it will happen though. Argentina are another I'd like to see do well but they are all over the place at the moment. Here's hoping Brazil, Germany and England don't win.

Uruguay wants that cup more than anyone else so if they win it, I will be happy for them :) 

They are not my favorites though.... If Argentina doesn't make it, I prefer the cup to stay with one of the big teams or with another Latinamerican team, except for Brazil :P (they have too many already!)