Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER TAGS NO LONGER REQUIRED]

Powerage5

I can only speak for myself, but the thing that pushed Rogue One so high on my Star Wars rankings was really the overall production design. It's the only film produced post-Oiriginal Trilogy that truly felt and looked like an OT film to me. The wardrobes, the set pieces, even the color palettes - every scene looked like it could've been an outtake from ANH or ESB. I also like the overall tone of the film - it feels more like a war film than a space fantasy film that every other Star Wars film does. Especially the Jeddah City fight sequence - it had a very Middle-Eastern-conflict vibe to it. The characters are underdeveloped for sure, but in this strange sort of way I think that's sort of fitting for a film with heavy emphasis on the war aspect that's about the unsung heroes of the Rebellion, the ones that never ended up in the history books. 

As for Solo, again it's the production design that's caught my eye so far. It looks like Blade Runner meets spaghetti western, and that's really appealing to me. I'll reserve my judgements on Alden until I've seen the film, but I can say right now that some of the witty dialogue in the second trailer had a good Han vibe IMO - particularly the "well what do you know" quip with Chewie. And when Danny Glover smiles...that motherfucker is Lando, for sure. 

• Like 4

Listening to a review of the Super Bowl trailer and have two questions from their discussion:

1- Given that Chewie is friends with, and has fought along side Ahsoka, do you think she will be in the film?  

2- They referenced an existing theory that says in ESB Lucas named Greedo based on that he's greedy and Lando because thats where they land!  That cant be, right?!?

Edited by soon

• downzy changed the title to Solo: A Star Wars Story [NO SPOILERS --- SPOILER TAGS REQUIRED]
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing that hurts the film the most isn't the directing switch-up, it isn't the acting, it's the script. It isn't very good, which is surprising since Lawrence Kasdan evidently was looking forward to telling this tale.

The mechanics of what is going on and what people need to accomplish in the action scenes is often confounding. I found myself confused in scenes like the Kessel Run.

Also, there just isn't enough iconic "Star Wars" action. Few stormtroopers and Tie Fighters. It's actually easy to forget that this is a Star Wars film for periods of twenty minutes or more. 

There is a surprising and confounding cameo in the film too. One where if you begin to think about where Solo fits in the film chronology, makes no sense. It just seems to be there to try and get people excitied for a heartbeat.

It was about as good as I expected  

Nice small mention to some bounty hunters we’ve seen before, Aurra Sing and Bossk. 

Surprised we got Maul, looks like he could be in a sequel. I believe Han’s actor is signed for three films. 

Not sure these next few are spoilers because who hasn’t seen ANH/TESB...

The highlights for me were the Kessel Run and Han’s winning of the Falcon in a game of Sabaac.

There won’t be a straight up sequel to this film.

It was something Disney stumbled with the whole way, demurred on promoting until they absolutely had to, and is currently underperforming below its mediocre expectations.

You can see they are already pivoting to focus on other beloved characters like Boba Fett.

I think this should be a lesson to Disney that if they want to mine the Star Wars universe for characters, they should not do origin stories. They are boring and they tend to negate their existence in deconstructing something from the head down.

What they should do is self contained stories that feature beloved characters.  Think of it like watching a television show out of context ; you can still enjoy the episode without needing to know every last thing the character did until he was standing there. Show, don’t tell. 

Like Boba Fett. Don’t do a Boba Fett origin story or try and re-tell where he’s been and what he’s done. Approach it like John Carpenter does his movies. His characters begin right when they walk on screen and it’s all about what they’re involved in for the duration of the movie: escaping a prison, hunting a serial killer, trying to survive an assault. What I’m saying is, the story supersedes the character. Have a unique but familiar approach to a movie and then throw Boba Fett or Obi-Wan or Han Solo in the action. The movies would be much richer for that.

I loved the first half of this movie. Thought it was absolutely terrific... But the second half of the film didn't really work for me. 

It helps though if you pretend you're watching just some random space western movie, instead of a Han Solo/ Star Wars movie. And that's nothing against the kid who played Han. I thought he did a fantastic job making the character his own while also capturing the "spirit" and "essence" of Ford without directly intimidating him... It's just that the character's arc in this film feels a little "off" when you try to line it up with where he's at when we meet him in the original Star Wars. Yes, I know they were planning to do two more of these young Han films. But still, I think they shoulda been a little more careful there.

New Ranking:

1.Star Wars (1977)

2.Empire Strikes Back

3.The Last Jedi

4.The Force Awakens

5.Return of the Jedi

6.Solo (it might grow on me or sour on me over time)

7.Rogue One

8.Revenge of the Sith

9.The Phantom Menace

10.Attack of the Clones

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I haven't seen it but heard Maul is in it. That is ridiculous really, although presumably they are following the cartoon where he turns up with robot legs haha

Yeah that was one of the reasons why I disliked the second half.

Nothing wrong with Maul showing up if you’ve followed The Clone Wars or Rebels. He’s the leader of a criminal organization, just so happens to be the one Qi’ra is working for. He also had the Inquisitor’s lightsaber from the looks of it.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

How small is this ''galaxy''? Everything eventful happening happens with the same bunch of characters!

Yeah that's why im hoping the new trilogies from Rian Johnson and the Game of Thrones showrunners take place thousands of years before and/or after all of these other films. Let's start moving away from all this stuff.

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah that's why im hoping the new trilogies from Rian Johnson and the Game of Thrones showrunners take place thousands of years before and/or after all of these other films. Let's start moving away from all this stuff.

I can't believe you have faith in those jackasses. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Financially speaking, the movie has had a mediocre opening weekend domestically, and an absolutely abysmal opening weekend overseas.

even though I enjoyed the movie for the most part... Im actually kinda glad it's failing financially, cause that means now they probably won't make Solo 2 or Solo 3 like they were originally planning, which I see as a good thing because, personally, I think this movie gives us everything we need in regards to seeing what Han Solo was up to before the events of the original film. I think doing anything beyond this for young Han would be overkill. Idk. Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

Saw it.  Enjoyed it.  Would love to see another to explain:

Spoiler

- Maul; criminal that he was only in one SW movie; if it takes another Solo movie to bring him back, so be it.

- Han's origins working with/for Jaba and how he screwed Jaba over.  

I think there's plenty of material to justify another Solo film.  

I haven't watched it. But I'm not surprised Solo wasn't the hit Disney expected. I guess fans are fed up. The problem started with the Lucas prequels. We all know how dissapointed the media a fans were with those. Maybe ROTS could be the exeception to some. Now we have Episode 7, 8 and Rogue One. And not all fans were delighted with those either. Although I think Rogue One is the lesser evil of them. The Last Jedi was kind of the last straw for a lot of fans. Whoever is directing Episode 9 better be very careful

3 hours ago, Padme said:

I haven't watched it. But I'm not surprised Solo wasn't the hit Disney expected. I guess fans are fed up. The problem started with the Lucas prequels. We all know how dissapointed the media a fans were with those. Maybe ROTS could be the exeception to some. Now we have Episode 7, 8 and Rogue One. And not all fans were delighted with those either. Although I think Rogue One is the lesser evil of them. The Last Jedi was kind of the last straw for a lot of fans. Whoever is directing Episode 9 better be very careful

It's JJ Abrams (director of Episode 7).