Robin Finck: opinions? Is he a good guitarist?

It's actually amazing how, after all these years, opinions about Robin have changed. Back in the day, you would log on whatever GN'R forum that suited you the most and the bashing over every member, at the time, would be endless. It's great that we can now appreciate what he's done, however, I still feel that it was only possible because of what we've been given, regarding the actual line-up. Robin has undoubtedly left his mark in Guns N' Roses but was never the most appropriate choice to fill the role. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 10:59 AM, Mendez said:

I always liked his style: very percussive with the whole dissonant chord thing he does (based on his solo spots from 2002 and the band solo spot from 2007). But I was never particularly fond of his improvisations he did for Slash's solos (where you just make your guitar screech a high note for more than necessary (John Frusciante, who I always thought Finck was similar to, also does this, which RHCP fans always praise him for)). His SCOM was cool though IMO

The solos he wrote for CD were great though (except for his Riad solo rifht before Bucketheads. I thought that sucked. The guitar screech high note thing I was talking about).

Always thought his backing vocals on live performances of Madagascar were cool.

He needs his own rock band (as opposed to being in NIN, which while it may be cool, doesnt allow him an outlet to be creative)

Starts at 0:50 (unless you want to hear a guitar screech for longer than necessary)

Robin is so underrated.  He can shred with the best of them while also bringing it down with that soulful feeling.

Back in 01 I hated him.  It was maybe his look and his "sloppiness" and probably my reluctance for change.  Now when I look back at those time I love his stuff.  I liked him a lot better in 06 and think his album contributions are top notch.  I think the thing that put it in perspective as far as how much of a talent he was, was when he was replaced by that mascara wearing, posing, fanny pad that cast a dark fucking shadow over the GnR name, DGay Assba. 

• Haha 1

My biggest "regret" regarding GNR Live is not seeing them with Finck on the 2006 tour. Was pretty much out of my hands being 15-16 years old, but still. Would've been great. Instead I got to see them with Ashba a couple of years later... Glad the NITL tour came around but would still love to see Finck up there. 

On 11/12/2017 at 4:16 AM, Voodoochild said:

Robin plays the lead following Axl's voice in the chorus (more to the left channel). He also plays some funky wah rhythm guitar after the first chorus. 

Bumble plays the solo and rhythm in the right channel for the whole song (except the pulse riff intro, which is Robin and Paul), often playing some riffin' fills. 

Paul plays the rhythm guitar on the left channel, tho it's mixed with Robin's rhythm. You can hear it better on the demo (Paul left, Robin right).

Buckethead plays the ending solo.

Thank you SO much for this breakdown.  You have no idea how much I've wanted to know who was responsible for what I've always thought of as funky/disco guitar - now I know it was Robin.  I bloody live for that funky/disco guitar.  I mean, this is my get up and go to work song.  I can't start the day without it.  This goes on before coffee. 

Having a much harder time distinguishing Tobias - trying to.  Really want to know what he sounds like.

And it's Buckethead's solo! Ah! Of course!  Sorry for getting excited, but this song has possessed me for a while now and I've always, wanted to know who played what.  

Now if I could just work out who is responsible for the snarl...it's a really low growly guitar sound...It's in the 'sweet salvation, like all my frustration, caught in the lies lyric...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Finck guesting with Guns in 2012 on Better. 

I don't think I had ever seen that, so cool that he joined them. He should have played This I Love, though, he never got to play that solo live.

I can't help but think how awesome it would have been if Axl did the right thing and started a new band/solo band with Robin, Bucket, Freese/Brain and Tommy (well, Dizzy and Shitman too...). Less pressure, no constant comparisson between GNR members and his new band, just a new thing like Snakepit or VR or SMKC.

I see Robin as an artist, not a session guitarist. Never been into his takes on most of the GNR's stuff but he shined on the stuff he got to create and it would have been great had he been given the chance to create more. Axl first put him in the position of being Slash's replacement (when Slash simply can't be replaced) and then pushed him away by not releasing one single album in the decade he had Robin working for him. Unreal.

6 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I don't think I had ever seen that, so cool that he joined them. He should have played This I Love, though, he never got to play that solo live.

I can't help but think how awesome it would have been if Axl did the right thing and started a new band/solo band with Robin, Bucket, Freese/Brain and Tommy (well, Dizzy and Shitman too...). Less pressure, no constant comparisson between GNR members and his new band, just a new thing like Snakepit or VR or SMKC.

I see Robin as an artist, not a session guitarist. Never been into his takes on most of the GNR's stuff but he shined on the stuff he got to create and it would have been great had he been given the chance to create more. Axl first put him in the position of being Slash's replacement (when Slash simply can't be replaced) and then pushed him away by not releasing one single album in the decade he had Robin working for him. Unreal.

I agree- it’s been said by everyone by Finck was truly Axl’s Randy’s Rhodes and I believe Axl could’ve had a second coming in his music career if he utilized him properly. I just don’t get how a man who had Buckethead, Finck and Brain all on the same team could let that go to waste. At least we do have the song Better (which was a Finck song) which to an extent made an impact on Guns history, still in the set list and is one of the most loved Chinese song.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I agree- it’s been said by everyone by Finck was truly Axl’s Randy’s Rhodes and I believe Axl could’ve had a second coming in his music career if he utilized him properly. I just don’t get how a man who had Buckethead, Finck and Brain all on the same team could let that go to waste. At least we do have the song Better (which was a Finck song) which to an extent made an impact on Guns history, still in the set list and is one of the most loved Chinese song.

Yeah, but we should have gotten so much more! And I don't mean it as in "we're entitled to it", I mean Buckethead is one of the most prolific human beings ever (if he's not actually a robot :lol:) and everyone (except for Axl) worked really hard during all those years. Robin quit twice because he was working on a lot of stuff that was never being finished.

You mentioned Randy, well, I don't think Ozzy has 1% of Axl's talent yet he released a lot of stuff and was really successful simply because he used the talent of the musicians he hired. Axl on the other hand, he seems to be some sort of a career damager. He made all these people waste years of their lives to produce ONE ALBUM (when most of them were already gone), now he got Slash back when he was about to release another album and it's been two years of no new music and not knowing when he's going to release anything again, if he ever does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tremolo said:

Robin is a soulful player. He’s not the most skilled, his solos are all about melody and modulation (bends and vibratos). Simple, but very effective!

His stage presence is beyond anything we’ve seen and will ever see in GNR. He doesn’t have to try to be cool or try to get the spotlight, he just has an incredible presence. His weirdness is not off-putting, it’s magnetic because it’s cool and humble, not cool and “i am the shit”. His personality on stage is closer to Izzy: cool guy in the background, but with awesome hair and dressing style.

There’s plenty of videos on youtube of Finck performing with GNR and NIN. I like him better in NIN, it always felt like something big was missing when he was being replaced by Aaron North.

This version of TWAT has to be the best live version out there, between Robin's guitar playing and Axl's vocals. The band at this show just seemed so hungry and ready. You pretty much described how I feel about Robin. And as someone else said, back in the day, people on whatever GN'R forum you visited, you'd constantly hear people bitch about his playing, his looks and etc. Which honestly, being in the shadow of Slash, it was damn near impossible for him to get over with fans. Even though I feel some of his playing came off as sloppy at times, but that kinda fits the whole GN'R persona, GN'R, especially Slash were not the best players and had fuck ups more often than not.  With Robin being gone after all these years, those who followed the NuGN'R era grown to appreciate his skills and in a way, he became an inquired taste. As much as I love Richard Fortus on rhythm and some leads, if Richard ever needed a break or whatever, I'd totally be down to seeing Robin step in for him. Just imagine the combo of Robin and Slash playing together would be mind blowing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The sad thing is if Axl released CD in 2002 then the follow up in 2004 , then the 3rd in 2006, maybe BH and Finck never would have quit. But we will never know. 

Finck showed he has some talent and he is a soulful player. His contributions to CD are good but I hate his takes on GNR's classic stuff. That was just raping great music and made it unlistenable for me.

With the exception of Better I prefer Slash's take on the CD stuff live.

not a fan other than the TIL solo and Better Solo but likes Slash on both so he isnt missed, and he really fucked up his part in the NR solo its cringe worthy, thank God Slash is back so he can play the 3 solos the way they were supposed to be played,

Robin Rocks, as tasteful as it gets and you def need to understand something about rock n roll to appreciate him. if you re looking for a slash clone, look any other way. But if you enjoy hendrix, peter green and jimmy page you might just love Robin. i Know i do and he's a big reason why gnr was interesting after slash. His 2006/2007 tour was amazing! and Axl was singing and running around like crazy. Still the best shows i attended even after NITLT tour.

So Robin Rocks and Fuck the haters

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ifdworld said:

Robin Rocks, as tasteful as it gets and you def need to understand something about rock n roll to appreciate him. if you re looking for a slash clone, look any other way. But if you enjoy hendrix, peter green and jimmy page you might just love Robin. i Know i do and he's a big reason why gnr was interesting after slash. His 2006/2007 tour was amazing! and Axl was singing and running around like crazy. Still the best shows i attended even after NITLT tour.

So Robin Rocks and Fuck the haters

That has nothing to do with being a hater. I love Hendrix, Peter Green and Page. Finck doesn't come even close.

On 13/11/2017 at 9:05 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

And it's Buckethead's solo! Ah! Of course!  Sorry for getting excited, but this song has possessed me for a while now and I've always, wanted to know who played what.  

Now if I could just work out who is responsible for the snarl...it's a really low growly guitar sound...It's in the 'sweet salvation, like all my frustration, caught in the lies lyric...

Ha, no problem. I love this song since 2001. IMO, it's the most close we ever got to the "AFD on steroids". And I never understood how people described the song as "techno" or anything like that, as this is one of the songs with a more straight foward rock guitar riff. 

About this "snarl".. Is the guitar sound starting at 0:45? 

If it is, then it's that Robin's lead guitar I mentioned: Robin plays the lead following Axl's voice in the chorus (more to the left channel). 

And you can hear the funky guitar better in their 2002 live performances. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, Sosso said:

He never played with Marilyn Manson

Well technically he was in Mansons mouth which was probably his finest achievement on guitar but that is how all the NIN/Manson crowd seem to get noticed shock vs ability.

Watch Twiggy auditioning with Metallica for a good intro to that....people playing for a year would do a better job.

I think the guy is terrible ...the 2001 clip might have been an "anti-statement" out of insecurity.

Fair play this is horrific on all parts ...and wtf pulling pop shot faces when the playing is that bad

Just curious how many people posting here actually play guitar?

• Like 1

i know i do. But you know what? its a matter of personal taste. I Really connect with Robin as a guitar player and songwriter. Live i think he is phenomenal. But everyone can have their own opinion. Its just music, its not suppose to have the same effect on everyone. But whatever axl saw in him i did to. That guy is number one in my book.

6 minutes ago, Ifdworld said:

i know i do. But you know what? its a matter of personal taste. I Really connect with Robin as a guitar player and songwriter. Live i think he is phenomenal. But everyone can have their own opinion. Its just music, its not suppose to have the same effect on everyone. But whatever axl saw in him i did to. That guy is number one in my book.

Well, I have no musical ability whatsoever and always appreciate a musician's opinion on things for a more technical perspective.  I just know what I like and what I don't like.  It's nice to see a musician and songwriter say that music is not designed to affect everyone the same way.  So thanks! 

There's so much more to what connects a person to a musician or band than musical ability alone - and even that's subjective.  For me, it's also about presence and attitude and stylistic approach - something to do with the way the personality comes through the instrument that's inexplicable but definitely there.  

I don't prefer Robin over Slash, but I do like him a lot.  Someone else said he was brave enough to be himself and maybe it's that attitude comes through his playing?  So it makes sense that he's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Even DJ Ashba must have fans out there somewhere...right? 

1 hour ago, axlsnutsack said:

Well technically he was in Mansons mouth which was probably his finest achievement on guitar but that is how all the NIN/Manson crowd seem to get noticed shock vs ability.

Watch Twiggy auditioning with Metallica for a good intro to that....people playing for a year would do a better job.

I think the guy is terrible ...the 2001 clip might have been an "anti-statement" out of insecurity.

Fair play this is horrific on all parts ...and wtf pulling pop shot faces when the playing is that bad

What he did with the GNR songs is an outrage to my feelings, an insult to my intelligence. A butcher massacre festival.

Everybody's entitled to like whatever he wants, but Fincks contributions to the classic stuff had nothing to do with GNR.

I watchex them live in Budapest 2006...And he was so fuckin nervous...On better he crashed guitar,,and on jungle left the stage...He probablly was mad on Axl,because Axl was late 4 hours...

He is very good guitarist and only two thhings made them awsome player:

1.Solo on This I love -such amazing

2.Better...Dimply amazing song

22 hours ago, axlsnutsack said:

I play guitar and am in a band and Finck is my favorite Guns guitarist. His bends are great and besides a mistake by going to the scale or playing the wrong note once in a while (which every guitarist, even Slash does) his playing and ability to put together a great solo that sounds well is fantastic. 

• Like 2