The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

50 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

200 millions years old ichthyosaurus fossil kept hidden for 170 years due to it countering ancestors' religious belief: 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/family-dig-up-jurassic-fossil-hidden-by-god-fearing-ancestors-for-170-years/ar-AAHVNCn?ocid=spartanntp

Looks like a squashed David Icke. :lol: 

AAHVIhP.img?h=833&w=1438&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

On 24/09/2019 at 4:26 PM, action said:

I think our debate is increasingly entering linguistic territory now.

in my viewpoint, "god" is defined as the universe, working through our brains and having a mutual relationship. Our brain is "linked" to this incredibly mysterious and still massively underexamined entity that is the universe, to the point that one can not exist without the other. That in itself, warrants a lot of what you call "worship".

Equally, I'm sure the universe worships "us" too, seeing all the brilliant art mankind has produced over the years. Surely that has to account for something?

Following your line of thought here then. What do you think the universe's opinion is on queers?

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Looks like a squashed David Icke. :lol: 

AAHVIhP.img?h=833&w=1438&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Following your line of thought here then. What do you think the universe's opinion is on queers?

the universe loves queers. after all, it created them! it appears to me, that queers bring colour and joy in the world. think of all the great artists that we would have been deprived of, if not for queers. I think the universe likes us to chill the fuck out, lighten up and don't bring morals into sexuality.

that's what I think the universe thinks about queers. ;)

Prophet Mohammed, originator of Islam, had sex with 9-year-old Ayeesha, after they married when she was 6. Tradition kept going by Sharia Law.
It is also the 'culture' that's gained the most from UK's multicultural focus over last 20 years, and there have been multiple cases of 'industrial scale' paedophilia, grooming and rape by it followers - hardly surprising as its legal or ignored in the countries they are from; or descended from.

Above after special report from inside Iraq by the BBC, about the Shia clerics using loopholes in marriage laws (quickies) to sell young girls, with one telling an undercover reporter that 9-years-old was ok under Sharia.

Only available in UK I think: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07ptd0f/iraqs-secret-sex-trade

58 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Prophet Mohammed, originator of Islam, had sex with 9-year-old Ayeesha, after they married when she was 6. Tradition kept going by Sharia Law.
It is also the 'culture' that's gained the most from UK's multicultural focus over last 20 years, and there have been multiple cases of 'industrial scale' paedophilia, grooming and rape by it followers - hardly surprising as its legal or ignored in the countries they are from; or descended from.

Above after special report from inside Iraq by the BBC, about the Shia clerics using loopholes in marriage laws (quickies) to sell young girls, with one telling an undercover reporter that 9-years-old was ok under Sharia.

Only available in UK I think: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07ptd0f/iraqs-secret-sex-trade

A relationship between Islam and pedophile cases in England (or Europe in general) seems strenuous at best. Are muslims typically people who are sentenced for this? A stronger case could probably be made for the Catholic Church.

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

A relationship between Islam and pedophile cases in England (or Europe in general) seems strenuous at best. Are muslims typically people who are sentenced for this? A stronger case could probably be made for the Catholic Church.

Well you can only be sentenced if someone reports to the authorities, which most likely a young muslim boy or girl and their family would be less likely to do. I think it may be more likely going on in those communities but the sentencing wouldn't be as high due to the fact that it's a more insular community.

Just now, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Well you can only be sentenced if someone reports to the authorities, which most likely a young muslim boy or girl and their family would be less likely to do. I think it may be more likely going on in those communities but the sentencing wouldn't be as high due to the fact that it's a more insular community.

Why would Muslims be less likely to report molestation to the police? 

Why would the sentencing for molestation committed by a Muslim be any different than for molestation by any other person? 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Why would Muslims be less likely to report molestation to the police? 

Why would the sentencing for molestation committed by a Muslim be any different than for molestation by any other person? 

I already stated my reason, they are a more insular community and would thus keep things in house more often than a typical mainstream Christian.

There is a cricketing example of a lack of integration of Asian communities, within which British-Pakistanis are represented, and the rest of England. The governing body of English and Welsh cricket (ECB) have noted that, despite cricket being akin to a religion among Asians, British-Asians were underrepresented (there are one or two examples such as Moeen Ali and Rashid) in top-flight cricket here. It transpired that British Asians have well established urban cricket leagues in places like Birmingham and Bradford that basically exist outside England's mainstream cricket system (A/ leagues/clubs, B/ counties, C/ international). They are thoroughly independent but have no obvious pathway to future success at county or international level. Potentially brilliant cricketers are being lost to England. 

Why do British-Asians repudiate England's mainstream domestic structure? Asian solidarity? Working class/urban solidarity (cricket is buried away on subscription television which may not be affordable for poor Asian households). British-Pakistanis look towards Pakistan and not England when designating their national side (''The Tebbit Test'')? English cricket is ''too white'', ''too middle class'', ''too upper class'' - ''has too many public school gin-soused blazered chinless wonders around''? These suggestions have all been put forth but nobody has an obvious reason for the conundrum. The strength of cricket in the north you see are the leagues, and they are not public school dominated and have a working class veneer. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

8 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I already stated my reason, they are a more insular community and would thus keep things in house more often than a typical mainstream Christian.

Perhaps, but to the extent that the overwhelming amount of public cases of pedophily would not have Muslim perpetrators, and based on nothing but the idea that they are inspired by the supposed young bride of their religion's founding father? 

I have no love for Islam, but this is some hard-core, and logically weak, vilifying of Muslims as a group. Claiming they are guilty of something for which we have no evidence based on nothing but a loose idea that they are inspired by Mohamned.

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

English cricket is ''too white'', ''too middle class'', ''too upper class'' - ''has too many public school gin-soused blazered chinless wonders around''? These suggestions have all been put forth but nobody has an obvious reason for the conundrum. The strength of cricket in the north you see are the leagues, and they are not public school dominated and have a working class veneer. 

Yeah, probably all of this. And the working class cricketeers of the north who desperately wants in on a posh sport as silly escapism probably doesn't impress the British-Asians. 

The British-Asians probably genuinely love the past time, but likely consider it connected to colonialism and would prefer to enjoy it on their own without having to deal with the imperious mannerisms, rituals, desperate anachronisms, and occasional contempt from British cricket fans. 

58 minutes ago, Dazey said:

So this was sent home from school with my kid in her book bag the other day. It's good to see that they're at least being honest finally. :lol: 

71525584_10162186941915702_4144833067741 71672223_10162186941945702_3753124066001

reminds me of the simpsons episode where someone said "we've tried nothing, and we're all out of ideas"

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, probably all of this. And the working class cricketeers of the north who desperately wants in on a posh sport as silly escapism probably doesn't impress the British-Asians. 

The British-Asians probably genuinely love the past time, but likely consider it connected to colonialism and would prefer to enjoy it on their own without having to deal with the imperious mannerisms, rituals, desperate anachronisms, and occasional contempt from British cricket fans. 

In actual fact cricket is embedded in the north to such an extent that it is not inherently seen as a ''posh sport''. The ''northern leagues''. Moving further up the chain, as embedded in the ethos of Yorkshire and Lancashire; professionals. This is just as much part of cricket's tapestry as the public school/Oxbridge system. It has produced some of the greatest cricketers, Fiery Fred, Sutcliffe and Hutton, etc.

Not sure its affiliation with colonialism is an apt reason considering the Commonwealth countries love beating England in test cricket, the most regal and archaic of formats. 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

So this was sent home from school with my kid in her book bag the other day. It's good to see that they're at least being honest finally. :lol: 

71525584_10162186941915702_4144833067741 71672223_10162186941945702_3753124066001

Why have you got your kid in a Methodist church? 

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why have you got your kid in a Methodist church? 

I was actually baptised Methodist. :lol: But no, I'm not sending her to the Hallelujahs. The flyer was sent home in her bag from school. They always send all sorts of flyers for events, fetes activities etc. The church is just a couple of streets away from the school and our house. :)

To be honest I'm kinda indifferent to little village type English religion generally. It's Jesus lite for the most part. Not proper god squad stuff.

Edited by Dazey

There is this nice thing in the bible about loving the sinner but hating the sin. I kind of like it and apply it to religions and the religious. Love the religious but hate the religions. Then, of course, I think it goes a tad too far emotionally, so I am more on the dislike religions but tolerate the religious. Still, the idea is sound. 

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

I was actually baptised Methodist. :lol: But no, I'm not sending her to the Hallelujahs. The flyer was sent home in her bag from school. They always send all sorts of flyers for events, fetes activities etc. The church is just a couple of streets away from the school and our house. :)

To be honest I'm kinda indifferent to little village type English religion generally. It's Jesus lite for the most part. Not proper god squad stuff.

Nobody could ever accuse you of teetotalism, studiousness in the Bible or undergoing a ''Great Awakening'' - although I suppose there is still time for the latter; that was the original point with Wesleyites, sinners such as yourself, fornicators, deniers of Christ's majesty, having this big awakening beneath a tree and waxing lyrical about it in poetry. Maybe something of your Wesleyite background rubs off on you in that Catholicism is something you hate? They had simplified churches and hated ''popish'' ceremony. 

I was baptised good old CoE. You have to love a church that was founded because a fat ginger wanted to shag around.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nobody could ever accuse you of teetotalism, studiousness in the Bible or undergoing a ''Great Awakening'' - although I suppose there is still time for the latter; that was the original point with Wesleyites, sinners such as yourself, fornicators, deniers of Christ's majesty, having this big awakening beneath a tree and waxing lyrical about it in poetry. Maybe something of your Wesleyite background rubs off on you in that Catholicism is something you hate? They had simplified churches and hated ''popish'' ceremony. 

I was baptised good old CoE. You have to love a church that was founded because a fat ginger wanted to shag around.

*Googles Wesleyite. :lol: 

To be honest I was Baptised in a Methodist church because it was the closest one to the house and we didn't have a car at the time. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

*Googles Wesleyite. :lol: 

To be honest I was Baptised in a Methodist church because it was the closest one to the house and we didn't have a car at the time. :lol: 

John and Charles Wesley (18th century), founders of Methodism, although Methodism originally began as a movement within the Church of England, seeking a greater intimacy with Jesus based on grace, but eventually broke away to form Methodism.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

There is this nice thing in the bible about loving the sinner but hating the sin. I kind of like it and apply it to religions and the religious. Love the religious but hate the religions. Then, of course, I think it goes a tad too far emotionally, so I am more on the dislike religions but tolerate the religious. Still, the idea is sound. 

it's too easy, and intellectually dishonest, to ridicule the bible (not that you ridicule it, just making a general point here), and that's the end all and be all of what can be said about religion.

yes, the bible is kind of ridiculous. personally, I kind of find it utterly boring in places. but then what? what does it add, intellectually, at all to the debate?

I see the bible as a code, sent directly to earth through the minds of its different writers, with a certain purpose. the book of genesis is a truly, utterly fascinating piece of work, in that the "the word is god and god is the word and he created the universe in 7 days, first the light and then matter and so on", actually is a remarkable description of the simulation theory that goes the rounds among physicists. If an idiot reads this, he finds this ridiculous 'how can the universe be created in 7 days", but the point is, it's CODE, and I find it utterly fascinating that these words were written thousands of years ago, and they seem to fit in the latest theories on the universe. And thats just the first pages of the bible. 

Edited by action