STEVEN ADLER: "Izzy is just as heartbroken as I am that the three of them decided to leave us out and bring three strangers in–who are those people?"

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

They never claimed to have sacked him for being on drugs, this is just something you claim so you can label them as hypocrites. They claim to have sacked him for wasting their time in studio due to him not being able to pay anymore. Why don't you read all the quotes I provide? Why are you so reluctant to learn and have your misconceptions corrected?

As I said, you are dissecting something as part of some semantic exercise, blaming the result and not the cause, the destination but not the origin. It is academic irrespective as I believe Adler was sacked for reasons other than drug usage. 

Slash Guitar World, 1990 (about Steven's and Matt's drumming):

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2940-1990-10-dd-interview-with-slash-on-guitar-world#11472

What's going on with Guns N' Roses?

We've got a new drummer, named Matt Sorum. The press doesn't seem to know about it, which is cool. We've had problems for months with Steven [Adler], and it was holding up the band. Once I swallowed the reality that things had to change, I started scouting drummers. We obviously couldn't put an ad out -- we would 've had the Goon Squad knocking at our door. So we started auditioning people we heard about through the grapevine.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find anyone with the right attack or feel. I was really depressed over the situation for a while. Then one night, not too long ago, I went to see the Cult. I was at the sound board, and I was thinking, "This drummer is really awesome." I think Lars from Metallica told me about him, too. I was really, really impressed. He was literally one of the best rock drummers I had ever seen.

I initially didn't contact him because he was with the Cult. But I was at an all-time low and I knew that the Cult were off the road, so I decided to give Matt Sorum a call. I went through all these different sources to get in touch with him. Finally we hooked up, he came down to a rehearsal, and things immediately clicked. It was great and he was a great guy -- the chemistry worked.

Steven wasn't a technically great drummer, but we had been playing together for so long that we had a great collective feel. His meter, however, was always changing-up and down, up and down. So we had never really played with a great drummer. We didn't know what it would feel like. Not to say Steven isn't any good -- I don 't want to put him down -- but we never really played with anybody that was awesome. Duff and I started realizing how good Guns N' Roses could be after playing with some great drummers, like Kenny Aronoff from Iggy's band. We just looked at each other after playing with Kenny and went," Wow!" Then when Sorum came down and kicked ass, it confirmed things. The band sounds about 100 times better.

The difference is insane. At one point Duff thought it was his fault. We couldn't get a decent groove going, and we couldn't figure what was going wrong. Then we thought it was the whole band! You should've seen us! Y'know, long faces and shit ... [laughs]

Just now, Blackstar said:

Slash Guitar World, 1990 (about Steven's and Matt's drumming):

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2940-1990-10-dd-interview-with-slash-on-guitar-world#11472

What's going on with Guns N' Roses?

We've got a new drummer, named Matt Sorum. The press doesn't seem to know about it, which is cool. We've had problems for months with Steven [Adler], and it was holding up the band. Once I swallowed the reality that things had to change, I started scouting drummers. We obviously couldn't put an ad out -- we would 've had the Goon Squad knocking at our door. So we started auditioning people we heard about through the grapevine.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find anyone with the right attack or feel. I was really depressed over the situation for a while. Then one night, not too long ago, I went to see the Cult. I was at the sound board, and I was thinking, "This drummer is really awesome." I think Lars from Metallica told me about him, too. I was really, really impressed. He was literally one of the best rock drummers I had ever seen.

I initially didn't contact him because he was with the Cult. But I was at an all-time low and I knew that the Cult were off the road, so I decided to give Matt Sorum a call. I went through all these different sources to get in touch with him. Finally we hooked up, he came down to a rehearsal, and things immediately clicked. It was great and he was a great guy -- the chemistry worked.

Steven wasn't a technically great drummer, but we had been playing together for so long that we had a great collective feel. His meter, however, was always changing-up and down, up and down. So we had never really played with a great drummer. We didn't know what it would feel like. Not to say Steven isn't any good -- I don 't want to put him down -- but we never really played with anybody that was awesome. Duff and I started realizing how good Guns N' Roses could be after playing with some great drummers, like Kenny Aronoff from Iggy's band. We just looked at each other after playing with Kenny and went," Wow!" Then when Sorum came down and kicked ass, it confirmed things. The band sounds about 100 times better.

The difference is insane. At one point Duff thought it was his fault. We couldn't get a decent groove going, and we couldn't figure what was going wrong. Then we thought it was the whole band! You should've seen us! Y'know, long faces and shit ... [laughs]

There is a quote from '93ish where Slash pelts Izzy with abuse also, saying he ''never liked playing with Izzy'' and ''Gilby is better''.

That is just Slash being Slash. He says things that are convenient for the time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is a quote from '93ish where Slash pelts Izzy with abuse also, saying he ''never liked playing with Izzy'' and ''Gilby is better''.

Yes. There are even later quotes (~1995) where he says similar things.

But in Adler's case Slash really looked for other drummers.

judging by the hundreds of posts in this topic ... "all things considered"... you should make a collective contribution to steven, each of you to deposit some money for him, and organize a schedule of shows with the presence of all of you supporting him.

Edited by auad

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Slash and Duff started to dislike Steven because they had to babysit him and watched him out for his drug abuse. Slash, in his books, complains that no one else in Steven's circle of friends and family took care of him or tried to help him with the drugs.

But this feeling has nothing to do with genuinely disliking someone. They just didn't want to deal with him as if he was their child because they were guys with their own egos, own drug problems and it is the same way they didn't help Axl with his mental disease either.

Axl couldn't rely on them for his problems. Once in a while he would talk or open up to Slash but he spent days or weeks secluded, feeling alone. Same thing happened after the UYI tour was over. Axl was completely alone when he came back home.

Does that mean Slash and Duff didn't like him? No, but they didn't want to take care of him either.

This is a band of egotistical fucks, not a band of brothers. But between Axl and Steven, I guess there's a genuine dislike of each other's person. More on the side of Axl towards Steven.

I posted a Slash book excerpt above where he admits it was very hypocritical from them to sack Steven for drug abuse. He admits it. But he justifies it by saying it is because his drug abuse was affecting the band.

The fact that Slash uses an excuse to justify the sacking doesn't mean this is the real reason for the sacking. 

Personally, I believe it is a combination of things, being the drug abuse the perfect excuse to fire Adler. Had it not been that, it would have been something else. And I mention what happened to Sorum, a drummer who was doing his job in the right way, but was sacked because Axl had disagreements with him.

Are you talking about Axl? :lol:

The descriptions fits his history perfectly!

We saw several Guns shows without Slash.... I admit it wasn't a brilliant idea.

I wonder why slash has his set list filled with guns songs? 

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Again. Not if they have Ferrer there as well, which seems to have been the plan. So, really, that's irrelevant.

Well then you'll just have to wait and see how Adler is not included, especially after this.

1 hour ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I'm not mad, in fact I'm just waiting for the tour to end. Looking forward to SMKC coming back with new music, that's all I care about.

And I agree he's not needed for a business point of view, neither is Duff. This band relies on casuals who only care about Slash and Axl so everyone else is irrelevant when it comes to selling tickets/making money, which is the only thing they care about.

From a musical point of view, Steven is kinda needed because their current drummer is horrible but they could have solved that without Steven too. Slash has a great drummer in his band who knows how to play GNR songs but keeping Axl happy was more important than playing the songs properly.

Oh, I didn't mean Axl's faults should be discussed when Steven's are being discussed, just that whenever there's an argument about Axl or the tour or whatever, people won't talk about Axl in those terms and they won't be bringing every mistake from his past all the time as they do with Steven.

Also, they will acknolewdge Axl for being on time now and not having any incidents on this tour while they show zero appreciation for Steven's efforts to get clean and beat his disease. For many fans, Axl can do no wrong and Steven can do no right, that's what's annoying.

Steven plays them with many imperfections, you just choose his cause that's what you've grown accustomed to.

1 hour ago, Tucknroll said:

I wish he was there for some personality.  They used to be the most dangerous band in the world.  Now their the safest. I get their older but still, a little trouble never hurt a rock band

They were also practically kids back then. They're grownups with families and mortgages now.

Imagine what it's like to hang out with your buddies from high school or college that you haven't seen in years. You talk about the stupid shit you used to do but maybe don't have much in common anymore. Or that crazy guy you used to know who went out of his mind on drugs. Throw in decades of grudges, millions of dollars and just.... getting old.

Maybe in some ways it's like that for these guys, speaking on a personal level of course.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes. There are even later quotes (~1995) where he says similar things.

But in Adler's case Slash really looked for other drummers.

Was there any other option? :question: They sacked their drummer!

50 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I wonder why slash has his set list filled with guns songs? 

Because he co-wrote all of them? :question:

15 hours ago, bigpoop said:

He played great so what if he tripped. btw, if you watch that show closely you'll see Slash vomits  during Civil War. But he also played great so who cares. 

what bit? i just watched it and didn't see Slash throw up

28 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Steven plays them with many imperfections, you just choose his cause that's what you've grown accustomed to.

This is nonsense. The first GNR album I got as a kid was UYI II and the first line up I got used to watching all the different bootlegs and stuff was the one with Matt and Gilby. Regardless of having Appetite, I would see Matt Sorum as GNR's drummer as a kid/teenager because I was completely used to him and the band with him on drums. Yet, the very moment when I watched the Ritz gig (which was YEARS after devouring all the UYI bootlegs) I realized I had been missing the real deal.

Steven's style is unique and brilliant and luckily for us GNR fans, Brain was kind enough to explain it and break it down a little while ago for those who think Steven is some random expendable drummer.

Without Steven Adler there wouldn't be Guns N' Roses as we know it and for that he'll always have my gratitude, respect, admiration and appreciation.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

You mean when they got that guy to play 'Patience' at the AMA's?

No. I mean the drummers they rehearsed with before Steven's probation contract, mentioned in Slash's book, Axl's quote from 1990 etc., and (not by name) in the Slash quote I posted later. Even Sorum was brought in to rehearse before Steven was fired.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No. I mean the drummers they rehearsed with before Steven's probation contract, mentioned in Slash's book, Axl's quote from 1990 etc., and (not by name) in the Slash quote I posted later. Even Sorum was brought in to rehearse before Steven was fired.

Ah, ok.

Well, it's only logical they had to do this because they saw it coming and they couldn't afford to be without a drummer. But this is not because they thought Steven sucked, only that he couldn't get his shit together and they wanted to start recording the new album asap.

16 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Ah, ok.

Well, it's only logical they had to do this because they saw it coming and they couldn't afford to be without a drummer. But this is not because they thought Steven sucked, only that he couldn't get his shit together and they wanted to start recording the new album asap.

Then I guess we agree that it isn't "bollocks" that Steven couldn't get his shit together and that affected his drumming.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

This is nonsense. The first GNR album I got as a kid was UYI II and the first line up I got used to watching all the different bootlegs and stuff was the one with Matt and Gilby. Regardless of having Appetite, I would see Matt Sorum as GNR's drummer as a kid/teenager because I was completely used to him and the band with him on drums. Yet, the very moment when I watched the Ritz gig (which was YEARS after devouring all the UYI bootlegs) I realized I had been missing the real deal.

Steven's style is unique and brilliant and luckily for us GNR fans, Brain was kind enough to explain it and break it down a little while ago for those who think Steven is some random expendable drummer.

Without Steven Adler there wouldn't be Guns N' Roses as we know it and for that he'll always have my gratitude, respect, admiration and appreciation.

Go set a metronome to appetite and see what happens. And of course Brain knew about this he's a pro that could emulate that to a certain degree where Sorum just played completely straight regardless.

8 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

He doesn't.

He's never done a tour yet without playing guns songs????

26 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Im interested in this. Can you link?

5 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

He's never done a tour yet without playing guns songs????

you didn't say that , you said: "I wonder why slash has his set list filled with guns songs?"

He doesn't. He plays some fan favourites from Guns but a majority of the set will be SMKC songs.

Just now, janrichmond said:

you didn't say that , you said: "I wonder why slash has his set list filled with guns songs?"

He doesn't. He plays some fan favourites from Guns but a majority of the set will be SMKC songs.

And why would he need to do such a thing?