Are you a nostalgic person?

RONIN

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Come on, he's funny and smart, even with all that British pride that sounds a bit abrasive. I like him, he doesn't like me, but I don't mind :lol:

I am non-native English speaker but I've been studying the language for decades. His posts are sometimes challenging for someone like me but I love the challenge, as it gives me a chance to improve my English, learn new words and expressions.

It is cool to have someone different posting like a sir from the 18th century, lol. Isn't it special?

No, it's pretentious. 

Most people don't come here for an English lesson but to read up on GnR or whatever. But by all means.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Where is all this ''British pride''? I'm generally surprised people have that opinion on me! I seem to spend a lot of the time ridiculing Britain/British people. 

If half of your posts are about England or British stuff that most people, except for maybe some other British wankers on here, don't care about, then one might think that.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Most people don't come here for an English lesson but to read up on GnR or whatever. But by all means.

When have I ever given anybody an ''English lesson''? This is an absurd accusation. I have never been an one of those posters who points out somebody else's spelling or grammar (my spelling has never been the greatest itself so I'd be hypocritical).

• Like 1

As far as using difficult British slang, Leonard is worse than Diesel, in my opinion. They both tend to overexaggerate the particular importance and relevance of insular UK affairs, though, like when Len starts threads about some person who has died but who only brits would know about or when Diesel talks about the British "cricket" sport. It's charming, in a sense, they used to be an Empire after all. Now they are just one out of many similar countries.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

When have I ever given anybody an ''English lesson''? This is an absurd accusation. I have never been an one of those posters who points out somebody else's spelling or grammar (my spelling has never been the greatest itself so I'd be hypocritical).

I was replying to the other poster on learning new English words, I never accused you of this.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

As far as using difficult British slang, Leonard is worse than Diesel, in my opinion. They both tend to overexaggerate the particular importance and relevance of insular UK affairs, though, like when Len starts threads about some person who has died but who only brits would know about or when Diesel talks about the British "cricket" sport. It's charming, in a sense, they used to be an Empire after all. Now they are just one out of many similar countries.

Doesn't everybody do that though? Americans do the ''I saw it on Conan/Letterman'' thing and seem to get tremendously preoccupied about who (in this forum's circumstance, Guns N' Roses) ''will play the Superbowl halftime ceremony?''. There are designated sports threads to American sports and wrestling. My cricket thread consists of me talking to myself. 

• Haha 2

The only reason this was brought up is because I mentioned earlier that I might have misinterpreted you because I don't understand half of your posts. Now that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you're the only poster who uses 'difficult' words on here (read: difficult for some non-native speaker). I never said it's not allowed or accused anyone of that. With my first post I wanted to say that it sometimes sucks when threads are often derailed towards some British love fest and that usually starts with you. Whether that's pride or something else, I don't care. Go make a thread about all things British and get your freak on! That way I don't have to scroll through it every time.

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

What's pretentious? To speak proper English? lol...yeah right.

That's exactly what I mean.

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Where is all this ''British pride''? I'm generally surprised people have that opinion on me! I seem to spend a lot of the time ridiculing Britain/British people. 

You come off like that at times, maybe you just don't realize. I think it's cute :heart: but looks like others hate it, lol

23 minutes ago, EvanG said:

No, it's pretentious. 

Depends on how you read it?

I always thought he plays a character and I go by that... it is funny :shrugs:

There are a million threads on GnR, how is he preventing people from reading about them? He barely posts in the GnR section..

Every post here is an English lesson to me. I'm sure many other non-native speakers have learned a lot from this forum, without explicitly asking for English lessons.

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Doesn't everybody do that though? Americans do the ''I saw it on Conan/Letterman'' thing and seem to get tremendously preoccupied about who (in this forum's circumstance, Guns N' Roses) ''will play the Superbowl halftime ceremony?''. There are designated sports threads to American sports and wrestling. My cricket thread consists of me talking to myself. 

Your cricket talking spreads over into other threads :lol:

Americans are guilty of the same, but not to the same extent as you guys, though. Again, entirely my own humble opinion. Could just be something about you and Len. Not necessarily indicative of Brits as a whole. I suppose people from smaller and less important countries just have this innate understanding that their affairs don't matter or would not be understood by others. I don't know.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Don't be such a pussy? He's from England and you're lecturing him about this. Do you do this when people are pretentious enough to speak in Spanish or whatever? Fucking hell.

I thought you were a friendly giant? You have to start insulting? How am I lecturing him? Please quote me.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Your cricket talking spreads over into other threads :lol:

Americans are guilty of the same, but not to the same extent as you guys, though. Again, entirely my own humble opinion. Could just be something about you an Len. Not necessarily indicative of Berits as a whole. I suppose people from smaller and less important countries just have this innate understanding that their affairs don't matter or would not be understood by others. I don't know.

It's been a long established tradition here that many threads (especially in AG) are taken over by Brits. I've seen people complain about that from when I was lurking here.

I usually don't have a problem with that, but I see where people complaining are coming from. I can scroll past it. I will say I find it odd someone finds DD more difficult to understand than Len.

The British slang doesn't annoy me, it only annoys me when posters start talking Spanish/Italian/Portuguese... with each other. (Not talking about just a few words, but complete posts.) But that happens very rarely.

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

I laugh at a lot of your jokes and you seem alright. My tone is "aww come on maaan, don't be such a pussy, maaan." :lol: I'm not angry. But I do think you're being a bit ridiculous in this particular situation.

Maybe I should read my posts again, but I'm not sure when I've told anyone that they're not allowed to do something or that I have been lecturing anyone.

Yes, it sucks when threads often derail towards some British stuff that I couldn't care less about so I commented on that, but I don't see a lot of harm in that, to be honest. It's really no big deal anyway, but I post what I think usually.

1 minute ago, Lio said:

It's been a long established tradition here that many threads (especially in AG) are taken over by Brits. I've seen people complain about that from when I was lurking here.

I usually don't have a problem with that, but I see where people complaining are coming from. I can scroll past it. I will say I find it odd someone finds DD more difficult to understand than Len.

The British slang doesn't annoy me, it only annoys me when posters start talking Spanish/Italian/Portuguese... with each other. (Not talking about just a few words, but complete posts.) But that happens very rarely.

Talking Spanish/Italian/Portuguese on an international forum is just rude. But I give them a pass because I tend to think they probably don't speak English very well :lol:

Diesel and Len do kind of the same when they are writing in English colloquialisms just assuming others will understand them, which is either arrogant or ignorant. I don't know which :lol: For most part I like it, though, because it's good to learn new words and expressions and it helps me to understand the difference between the various forms of English, but occasionally I don't understand what they are saying and I hate to ask.

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

You complained when I joked with @Italian girl about her being an elf lol. You are a harsh mistress! :lol:

Yeah, of course, I was strictly talking about what languages bother me. People mucking up the Social Media Thread is a far bigger offence, of course :P

I come on here for a laugh so i just type shit as it occurs to me in the simple terms that it occurs to me in, I if you reckon I'm gonna sit around here picking all the right and proper words like I'm composing a speech for the UN for you bunch of fuckin' wankers you've another thing coming :lol:  Jokes, love you all really!  I will admit however to being a part in the derailing of a few threads but thats only because I don't find much that broadly interesting, just individual posts that might like...make something occur to you or something to take the piss out of, like normal conversation.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lio said:

Is that when @dgnr joke in Portuguese at the WT?   :lol:

I haven't seen entire posts in other languages. Oh I think I saw a Spanish one in the thread of Fernomenoyde, lol, but why does it annoy you? Just scroll down.

I hate that on a forum owned by a Canadian, Canadian spellings are often autocorrect to American spellings.

Lens been happy to break down entire paragraphs of Britishism for me, wth no problem.  He's certainly no Ratam, nether is Dies!

But the English folks derailing threads is indeed very annoying.  At least it makes sense in this thread since talking England is primarily nostalgia. :) 

Edited by soon
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Lio said:

I usually don't read his posts at all because they're often extremely long (no offence).

I think I'm rather fluent in English (at least for a non-native speaker), been listening/reading English my whole life, yet Daisy is the only poster on here who manages to use a lot of words that I've never heard of. But again, I'm not saying that's not allowed... I wouldn't even have that right. I just mentioned this earlier to make a point in why I might have misinterpreted him, although I was trying to be quasi-funny anyway.

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I haven't seen entire posts in other languages. Oh I think I saw a Spanish one in the thread of Fernomenoyde, lol, but why does it annoy you? Just scroll down.

No, haven't seen that. Or it hasn't annoyed me. I think it was in show threads, but like I said, that's very rare. I think it was during last year's tour.

It annoys me because I want to understand :P

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

HEEEEEEY! I translate it right after haha It's just to make sure that if Naninho one day goes and reads our thread he fully understands what I mean :P Maybe I should start swearing in portuguese too :shrugs:

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I usually don't read his posts at all because they're often extremely long (no offence).

I think I'm rather fluent in English (at least for a non-native speaker), been listening/reading English my whole life, yet Daisy is the only poster on here who manages to use a lot of words that I've never heard of. But again, I'm not saying that's not allowed... I wouldn't even have that right. I just mentioned this earlier to make a point in why I might have misinterpreted him, although I was trying to be quasi-funny anyway.

Where are you from? What's your native language?

Diesel and Len present a level of difficulty above other posters but they are not impossible to understand if you have passed TOEFL with good grades.