Are you a nostalgic person?

RONIN

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

I agree @SoulMonster their class system is disgraceful.

Shame on you, Leonard. :no:

What do folks in Albion think of kiwis and aussies, generally? Or do you just not? 

Funny how it lingers on, right? From Medieval times and feudal systems and all that, to 2018. In Norway we sort of had two classes, the very poor and the nobility, and then we just abolished nobility so we would all be miserable together. In England they still have the nobility and then all those other classes based on wealth or ancestry or where you live or how you talk or how you live and all that. At times it seems almost as limiting as the caste system in India, "Don't you go mingle with Rupert, son! His parents behave as they belong to the £ 50-70k demographic while they are really in the £ 40-50 group! With their clean plates and contrived accents! Tossers the lot of them!" I mean, I can see how there might be resentment between the poor and the rich, you have that everywhere. But here we are talking more about, like, the minutiae of social differences. Why this obsession with these things? Vanity? Ingrained group thinking? Jealousy? I have no idea but it is interesting.

And I am not saying we here in Norway are in any way better. We would act the same if we were inheriting a society where social classes were so important. And our homogeneity poses its own set of problems, like people coming here and standing out just because they dare to be different. So it's not about that. It's just I didn't know from before how much of a thing this is in Britain, and I kind of marvel over it now that I start to understand it. Not because I think it is good, not at all, but more like finding a previously undescribed to science insect that is rather ugly and foul-smelling.

Coming from Norway, I have never seen the patterns you describe. That people who strive to become "upper middle class", or whatever, are more cunts than people in the working class or the properly rich. Then again we don't really have an upper middle class here, or at least not consider our population to be so stratified as to use that expression. Nor do we talk about a "working class". We are pretty much a classless society. (in both meanings of the word). Of course we would react with disdain on anyone who flaunts newly acquired wealth, like the "yaps" in the 80s, and anyone who brags about their money just to brag about their money. And since we Norwegians have such a humble (read: piss poor) origin, it doesn't take much for people to think you are flaunting your wealth. Any vulgar display of wealth, or really any display of wealth, is likely to be considered unbecoming bragging. Similarly, we don't like people who behave like something they are not, but since we don't really have classes there are no, say, upper middle class behaviors that lower middle class people can adopt to come off "better" than they are.

So basically, you get what I'm talking about.  Its not even a case of vulgar displays of wealth, the people I'm talking about don't walk around with five finger rings and  name plates lookin' like Big Daddy Kane, its a general manner and demeanour and a way of looking at the world/people.  Snobby.  Snobby but for no good reason.  Uptight.  Repressed. 

But you are describing a whole segment of demography, the entire "middle upper class", or whatever it was, as per your experience, being awful, and that is pretty interesting. At most here, we would have a few pretentious individuals who desperately try to appear as something they aren't.

I could go into great detail about it, not just personal experience but what I get exposed to in terms of such social demographics in the course of my employment but I don't want to bore you.  Point being, the range of experience is not just limited to having the misfortune to having lived next door to a few arseholes.  Despite this though I understand that its not a rule or anything.

Then again, it doesn't take very much in England, does it? I mean, just go out and buy a common convenience like a dishwasher and wham! you are now acting above your station :lol: Yeah, I still haven't gotten over it.

Or apparently seen the humour in it.  Tip, when I say things like 'i don't trust people with perfect teeth' or 'cricket is for gays' etc etc, weird hyperbolic outlandish generalisations, assume its a joke :lol:

Again, you Brits are too obsessed with classes.

We have a Queen, what the fuck do you expect? :lol:  And also, its perhaps worth noting that people that highlight it so often perhaps are highlighting the injustices of said system and are coming from a position of extreme dislike for it, or ridiculing it, laughing at themselves to a point even, though I understand the idea that by being so involved in it you run the risk of becoming a victim of it.

We would act the same if we were inheriting a society where social classes were so important. And our homogeneity poses its own set of problems, like people coming here and standing out just because they dare to be different. So it's not about that. It's just I didn't know from before how much of a thing this is in Britain, and I kind of marvel over it now that I start to understand it. Not because I think it is good, not at all, but more like finding a previously undescribed to science insect that is rather ugly and foul-smelling.

Honestly, no one gives a shit :lol:  A lot of the shit I espouse on here is not common consensus...at all.  But I will say this.  England is less afraid of its ugly side than the rest of Europe...and England is still pretty afraid of it, what that says about the rest of Europe I'll leave up to you to work out.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Funny how it lingers on, right? From Medieval times and feudal systems and all that, to 2018. In Norway we sort of had two classes, the very poor and the nobility, and then we just abolished nobility so we would all be miserable together. In England they still have the nobility and then all those other classes based on wealth or ancestry or where you live or how you talk or how you live and all that. At times it seems almost as limiting as the caste system in India, "Don't you go mingle with Rupert, son! His parents behave as they belong to the £ 50-70k demographic while they are really in the £ 40-50 group! With their clean plates and contrived accents! Tossers the lot of them!" I mean, I can see how there might be resentment between the poor and the rich, you have that everywhere. But here we are talking more about, like, the minutiae of social differences. Why this obsession with these things? Vanity? Ingrained group thinking? Jealousy? I have no idea but it is interesting.

And I am not saying we here in Norway are in any way better. We would act the same if we were inheriting a society where social classes were so important. And our homogeneity poses its own set of problems, like people coming here and standing out just because they dare to be different. So it's not about that. It's just I didn't know from before how much of a thing this is in Britain, and I kind of marvel over it now that I start to understand it. Not because I think it is good, not at all, but more like finding a previously undescribed to science insect that is rather ugly and foul-smelling.

We're a mean, rude and nasty people, yes, we don't go around stroking each others bollocks, everyone knows where everyone stands in England, fear and loathing, mutual contempt, its wonderful :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

We're a mean, rude and nasty people, yes, we don't go around stroking each others bollocks, everyone knows where everyone stands in England, fear and loathing, mutual contempt, its wonderful :lol: 

Well, I can't say I don't like you Brits :lol: Warts and all.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, I can't say I don't like you Brits :lol: Warts and all.

Class, race, gender, nationality, sexuality, ginger hair, any reason we can't find to seperate someone off from the pack and point and laugh we will do it.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

So broad in fact you include NZ in your insult aimed at Australia. As if we don't even deserve our own hate!

That part of the world isn’t worth differentiating :lol:  Her Majestys Penal Colonies, nothing more!

• Haha 1

Poor Ronin's thread is buggered up again!!

You people do realise it is a rather good subject? Sinatra had his phrase in front of the war time Bobby Soxsers. Then he had the Capitol era, simply sublime, genius, not enough superlatives. Then he had the oldie goldie era which had its merits. 

• GNFNR 1

38 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Poor Ronin's thread is buggered up again!!

You people do realise it is a rather good subject? Sinatra had his phrase in front of the war time Bobby Soxsers. Then he had the Capitol era, simply sublime, genius, not enough superlatives. Then he had the oldie goldie era which had its merits. 

Sorry about that...:lol: There are too many interesting topics in this one thread!

• Like 1

In regards to the article in the OP, this quote came to mind:

"Art is a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist’s metaphysical value-judgments. Man’s profound need of art lies in the fact that his cognitive faculty is conceptual, i.e., that he acquires knowledge by means of abstractions, and needs the power to bring his widest metaphysical abstractions into his immediate, perceptual awareness. Art fulfills this need: by means of a selective re-creation, it concretizes man’s fundamental view of himself and of existence. It tells man, in effect, which aspects of his experience are to be regarded as essential, significant, important. In this sense, art teaches man how to use his consciousness. It conditions or stylizes man’s consciousness by conveying to him a certain way of looking at existence"  - Ayn Rand, The Romantic Manifesto

If there is truth in this statement I guess that would really lend itself to why teenagers, who are looking for/building their identity and outlook would have a deep connection to art. Or as the article puts it "The years highlighted by the reminiscence bump coincide with “the emergence of a stable and enduring self.” The period between 12 and 22, in other words, is the time when you become you. It makes sense, then, that the memories that contribute to this process become uncommonly important throughout the rest of your life."

It strikes me that the young self is using the conclusions and suggestions of the art to form identity, but also is mimicking the process of the works creation. The art-life cycle of imitation.

The article also mentioned the effect music has on various parts of the brain and this brought to mind the development of the infant brain, where rhythm and melody help to build motor skills and speech also by activating parts of the brain. From Psychology Today:

Spoiler

....Additionally, a dynamic dance and movement routine may help babies learning to walk because it serves as a form of movement practice, allowing them to gain greater stability and balance. In relation to movement practice and increasing one’s movement repertoire, Doherty refers to the purported role of mirror neurons in our motor system. Mirror neurons are neurons that fire both when an individual acts and when observing the action of another (Iacoboni et al, 2005). Research has suggested a role for mirror neurons in imitation, understanding the actions of others, Theory of Mind skills and even language development. For example, Iacoboni and colleagues conducted a study using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to investigate functional mechanisms underlying our ability to understand the intentions of others. When participants were tasked with determining the intentions of an actor in a context-rich situation, there was a significant increase in activity in areas of the brain typically active during the execution and observation of an action. These brain areas included the posterior part of the inferior frontal gyrus and the adjacent sector of the ventral premotor cortex, referred to as premotor mirror neuron areas. One might argue that the engagement in and observation of movement by a baby engaged in an interactive dance, would not only lead to activation of these brain areas but could also facilitate the understanding of intentionality. In other words, interactive dance, along with other, similar forms of movement experience may facilitate both motor development and the cultivation of our sociocognitive abilities.

In another relevant fMRI study it was found that in seven-month old babies in the process of acquiring language, those with the most abundant grey and white matter in the cerebellum and the hippocampus demonstrated better language ability at age one (Can et al., 2013). Interesting, these same brain areas are implicated in motor ability and memory consolidation, respectively. When learning to speak, complex movements need to be coordinated and we need to remember words and grammar. This is why at around six to twelve months of age, babies increasingly direct their gaze on the speaker’s mouth, not eyes.  Doherty suggests that holding your baby closely and dancing or moving with them, particularly in poses such as, “Over the Heart Embrace”, which is good for eye contact and close scanning of the face, allows them to focus their attention on your mouth and facial muscles and imitate those actions.

Another key aspect of interactive dance is music and rhythm.  The first rhythm we are exposed to is our mother’s heartbeat. In fact, a baby synchronizes its own pulse and breathing rate with its mother’s heartbeat while in utero (Ivanov et al., 2009). After birth, it seems that we continue to seek rhythmicity in our lives, as music is ubiquitous across cultures and throughout history...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-one-lifespan/201409/dancing-your-baby

So if Rands theory of art is applicable to the teenage identity-forming stage in the developing young mind, it would perhaps make sense that the art form of music would remain the undeveloped brain's tool of choice?

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Ah, but there we have those that are extremely good, really good, quite good, good, and awful. 

Lol! It's always fun to drop those that are of a lower speed class as it happens to all but one. 

I have my moments but I think to really be alive you have to live in the present. Most of our culture is based on hope in the future and looking back at the past. Entertainment kind of blocks your present to. It's pretty hard to focus on the present in an age of information overload. It's always about getting wrecked right now. 

Edited by wasted

• 2 weeks later...